BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

E92 Lighting

01-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Kitsune sama
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
Protests in Ukraine Summarized

01-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
F30_335

Drives: 335ix

Garage List
2014 335i  [0.00]
Some video to show what Ukrainian goverment and police do with citizens.

F30_335 is offline   Ukraine
      01-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
templarklimek
templarklimek

Drives: 13' X6M, 14' M6 CP, M235 OTW

Gents,

I've spent a lot of time in Kyiv and Ukraine in general. I've been in the center and other places which I now see on the web as the epicenter of the uprisings. It saddens me to see such a wonderful country and people at each others throats. My boots have walked down those same streets which are now covered with snow, blood and burning tires.

The real issue is Eastern Ukraine has a very large pro-Russian or Russian actual population. The West is Ukrainian and wants to be part of the West. They cannot have a "Velvet Revolution" like the Czech and Slovak republics did. Both sides want Kyiv at ANY cost! The Crimea as well.

Corruption is rampant, more than once I've had to bribe a policemen to leave me alone. This mess is only making their economy worse as foreign capital will flee.

I hope by offering the opposition party the PM slot they will deescalate this.
templarklimek is offline   United_States
      01-26-2014, 05:05 AM   #4
F30_335

Drives: 335ix

Garage List
2014 335i  [0.00]
templarklimek
Thanks, you are right.

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/984735.html
F30_335 is offline   Ukraine
      01-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Kitsune sama
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Gents,

I've spent a lot of time in Kyiv and Ukraine in general. I've been in the center and other places which I now see on the web as the epicenter of the uprisings. It saddens me to see such a wonderful country and people at each others throats. My boots have walked down those same streets which are now covered with snow, blood and burning tires.

The real issue is Eastern Ukraine has a very large pro-Russian or Russian actual population. The West is Ukrainian and wants to be part of the West. They cannot have a "Velvet Revolution" like the Czech and Slovak republics did. Both sides want Kyiv at ANY cost! The Crimea as well.

Corruption is rampant, more than once I've had to bribe a policemen to leave me alone. This mess is only making their economy worse as foreign capital will flee.

I hope by offering the opposition party the PM slot they will deescalate this.
Ukraine protesters leave justice ministry

According to this article, it seems that even though the PM slot was offered, Arseniy Yatsenyuk said that the protests would still continue.
      03-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
M3Denver
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Russia invading makes no sense what so ever! It does not need the Ukraine, and the reason given was that there are "russian speakers" in the Ukraine, there are a shit load of Russians all over the globe... if that is a reason enough to invade then the world is going to war.

There are clearly other reasons at play which no one has blatantly reported on or voiced yet.
      03-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
P1et
Brigadier General

Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i

When and if the Ukraine joins the EU, will they have the same seven year restriction on labor movement just like the Romanians and the Bulgarians had?
      03-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver View Post
Russia invading makes no sense what so ever! It does not need the Ukraine, and the reason given was that there are "russian speakers" in the Ukraine, there are a shit load of Russians all over the globe... if that is a reason enough to invade then the world is going to war.

There are clearly other reasons at play which no one has blatantly reported on or voiced yet.
Putin has been sitting on this one for a long time. Why have the Olympics in Sochi, a tiny town in the middle of nowhere? Because it sits on the Black Sea coast close to Crimea. The Olympics were a chance for Putin to build up the town to an adequate size to house military units and to divert vast resources there unquestioned for 5 years. He's wanted Crimea for a while now.
      03-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
Cuz5150
Major

Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Russia called, it wants all the comm-block states back!!!
This is the way i see all this turmoil. For the past decade or so, EU has been egging on the comm-block states to join the EUcomminsim. Well, apparently the leash has ran out, and the big bear(Russia) is not going to take anymore of this EU crap.
Now, we have turmoil and the USA is getting roped in this conflict. F*** that!!!
The EU can send its Military(what military?) to separate/fight/and play police of Ukraine.
For all i care, they can poke their eyes out........not a USA problem aka Tax payer. Today our Gov was quick to give 1Billion for aid......My tax dollars at work. Now, how much is the EU sending "IN"
Funny thing is the EU is in bed with Russia for energy. The Germans are shutting down the nuclear plants in the up coming years, and are getting energy from Russia?!?!?!?Get ready German cars WILL get expensive.....
Ok........end rant/

04-M3 vert-Black/Imolla/6MT/Cold/Xenon/HK/
06-M3 Cp-Mystic/Black/6MT/Comp/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
      03-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Russia called, it wants all the comm-block states back!!!
This is the way i see all this turmoil. For the past decade or so, EU has been egging on the comm-block states to join the EUcomminsim. Well, apparently the leash has ran out, and the big bear(Russia) is not going to take anymore of this EU crap.
Now, we have turmoil and the USA is getting roped in this conflict. F*** that!!!
The EU can send its Military(what military?) to separate/fight/and play police of Ukraine.
For all i care, they can poke their eyes out........not a USA problem aka Tax payer. Today our Gov was quick to give 1Billion for aid......My tax dollars at work. Now, how much is the EU sending "IN"
Funny thing is the EU is in bed with Russia for energy. The Germans are shutting down the nuclear plants in the up coming years, and are getting energy from Russia?!?!?!?Get ready German cars WILL get expensive.....
Ok........end rant/
its a complex problem heres why. and why the US is involved.

Russia did or "pretty much" broke international law. and the people who enforce international law are manly the superpower nations.

this is what happens when a superpower violates a law. superpower nations cannot go into "battle" with each other. because both have a lot of worldly influence in all different aspects. Russia is the 4th largest oil producer (i believe). economically speaking the EU specially is heavily dependent oil from them(like you said). so its like the same counties who should punish Russia for there games, will also be hurt. which is why Russia will not be "punished"

the US is less concerned about what is going on with the EU stuff you talked about more concerned about Russia invading or taking over a another country.

best case is that Russia leaves and lets Ukraine try to work there stuff out. then we can get back to dealing with Iran and N Korea
      03-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
Chadi335is
Private

Drives: my IS crazy

The whole situation is political... No war will come out of this...

Russia basically forced the EU to foot the $15B bill that Ukraine owes before it defaults....

US and EU have been eating into Russia's sphere of influence for years.... And Ukraine is a painful bite... Especially given that the US consulted coup...

Remember - USA illegally invaded Iraq.... UN did not authorize and condemnation followed....double standards seem the norm nowadays...
      03-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
Chadi335is
Private

1983 USA invaded Grenada for reason of safety for dozens of US citizens living there....

This is a direct comparison...
      03-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #13
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadi335is View Post
Remember - USA illegally invaded Iraq.... UN did not authorize and condemnation followed....double standards seem the norm nowadays...
There are those who would disagree that it was an illegal invasion:

"[Colin] Powell, however, said: “What we did was totally consistent with international law.”

Officials in Britain, Australia and Poland also insisted the military action in Iraq was legal.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Tony Blair’s official spokesman reminded reporters that Britain’s attorney general, Lord Goldsmith, had found before the war that Britain was acting legally, citing three U.N. resolutions he said justified the use of force against Saddam.

Britain was a leading supporter of the U.S.-led March 2003 invasion that ousted Saddam, which followed months of bitter debate in the 15-nation Security Council.

Australian Prime Minister John Howard — a staunch U.S. supporter who defied widespread public anger to participate in the invasion — also dismissed claims that the military action violated international law.

“There had been a series of Security Council resolutions and the advice we had (was) that it was entirely legal,” Howard told Perth radio station 6PR."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6016893/ns...rnational-law/
      03-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #14
Chadi335is
Private

The invasion was illegal. The very word indicates that.

The fact that NATO did not join is an example.

UN did not sanction the invasion.... Therefore it was illegal to invade a sovereign nation
      03-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:

UN did not sanction the invasion.... Therefore it was illegal to invade a sovereign nation
Why is this thread about Iraq now?

03-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Quote:
1983 USA invaded Grenada for reason of safety for dozens of US citizens living there....

This is a direct comparison...
It's not a comparison. Safety of US citizens was one reason, security and security interests of the US was another. Because of the Grenada invasion, we only have one Cuba in the Carribean - not two.
      03-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #17
pt
Private

Drives: I miss my E12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Why is this thread about Iraq now?

Funny how that works, right? I guess the right thing to do is just allow Russia to starve 7 million more Ukrainians to death.

--

More generally, the issue at play is that Russia signed a treaty promising not to invade Ukraine as long as they divested their nuclear weapons. They divested their nuclear weapons, and now Russia has invaded. The word "illegal" is a red herring here because all legalities go out the window when one country invades another. This is a case of a country that controls 30% of Europe's natural gas supply (and therefore a significant portion of global economic well-being) proving itself to be untrustworthy. I can't think of any cases offhand where the US promised not to invade a country, and then turned around and did it anyway. I'm confident that someone will tell me if I'm wrong about that.

It's in everybody's best interest for Europe to diversify its energy portfolio. If the Russians restrict supply to Europe for whatever reason, what ripple effect can that have on the US, on China, etc? I can guarantee you that it'll come with a hell of a lot more than a few billion dollars of hurt. Some hard decisions need to be made, and they won't come without some temper tantrums. But the bottom line is that some changes need to be made to that arrangement.

My two-cents, anyway.
      03-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

The issues in the Ukraine are very complex with different levels of interests at stake. The "Russian Way" is simply more direct whereas the West would've dressed it up via the UN.

This is another "pick your poison " moment. Will the West lend support to the new Ukrainian government which has reported to have neo-facists in its ranks or will it back channel support to Moscow?
      03-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #19
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt View Post
Funny how that works, right? I guess the right thing to do is just allow Russia to starve 7 million more Ukrainians to death.

--

More generally, the issue at play is that Russia signed a treaty promising not to invade Ukraine as long as they divested their nuclear weapons. They divested their nuclear weapons, and now Russia has invaded. The word "illegal" is a red herring here because all legalities go out the window when one country invades another. This is a case of a country that controls 30% of Europe's natural gas supply (and therefore a significant portion of global economic well-being) proving itself to be untrustworthy. I can't think of any cases offhand where the US promised not to invade a country, and then turned around and did it anyway. I'm confident that someone will tell me if I'm wrong about that.

It's in everybody's best interest for Europe to diversify its energy portfolio. If the Russians restrict supply to Europe for whatever reason, what ripple effect can that have on the US, on China, etc? I can guarantee you that it'll come with a hell of a lot more than a few billion dollars of hurt. Some hard decisions need to be made, and they won't come without some temper tantrums. But the bottom line is that some changes need to be made to that arrangement.

My two-cents, anyway.

Russia nor did the US sign a treaty. It was just an agreement.
      03-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
240,000 Miles

Drives: Moon

Quote:

In your eyes it may have been illegal. But who is Governing them now? The jackbooted of the United States? Or their own?
42 is offline   United Kingdom
      03-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #21
Soorena
Captain

Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
In your eyes it may have been illegal. But who is Governing them now? The jackbooted of the United States? Or their own?
Doesn't matter. Funny thing is everyone talks about sanctions, but back in the day of invading Iraq no one said something about sanctions. I read the quote below from Kerry the other day and couldn't stop laughing.
Quote:
You just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on completely trumped up pre-text,"
Soorena is offline   No_Country
      03-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

^^ Yeah, none remembers how all these naysayers were quiet when this happened. Some of them were even in support of the invasion.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States