BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2014, 04:56 AM   #111
fmohajer
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Sapphire Black
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 123
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
you can do all of that with a cable for $5
INCORRECT my friendů It won't connect to the external "shark" antennae that's located on the roof of the car.
__________________
Current: 2014 Bentley Continental GT
Current: 2013 F10 M5
Current: 2008 Porsche Cayenne S

Retired: 2011 F10 535Xi Sport
Retired: 2007 Audi R8 V8
fmohajer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2014, 05:05 AM   #112
insane79
Major
 
insane79's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 lci
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,084
iTrader: (0)

i want this snap in adaptor really bad but scared it will scratch my black & slate iPhone 5

Thanks..
insane79 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #113
immx
Private First Class
 
Drives: 520d SE LCI
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Essex, UK

Posts: 131
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
i want this snap in adaptor really bad but scared it will scratch my black & slate iPhone 5

Thanks..
I have used the snap in adapter since september. All I can tell you is I have the white iPhone and if you look closely, there are a number of very small marks around the bezel. How may of these are fom the adapter and how many because I can't use a case with the adapter, therefore I don't use a case at all I don't know.

Last edited by immx; 02-01-2014 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Typo
immx is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #114
mscottc
New Member
 
Drives: x28X1
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

I've got to wonder why someone can't figure out how to take advantage of the connections that are in the compartment already and create a cable to plug into that area and then go directly to the iPhone picking up the antenna connection... I'd use that in a heartbeat if A) it was less expensive, and B) didn't force me to go without a case.
mscottc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #115
doug_999
Captain
 
doug_999's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post
I've got to wonder why someone can't figure out how to take advantage of the connections that are in the compartment already and create a cable to plug into that area and then go directly to the iPhone picking up the antenna connection... I'd use that in a heartbeat if A) it was less expensive, and B) didn't force me to go without a case.
The iPhone does not support an external antenna via a connection unfortunately. BMW uses an induction type antenna to basically "boost" the existing antenna on the iPhone. So no matter what, you have to wrap around the phone where then antenna is.
__________________
2014 650xi GC, Imola Red/Black. MsportEd, CWP, B&O, 20" wheels
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
doug_999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #116
insane79
Major
 
insane79's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 lci
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,084
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immx View Post
I have used the snap in adapter since september. All I can tell you is I have the white iPhone and if you look closely, there are a number of very small marks around the bezel. How may of these are fom the adapter and how many because I can't use a case with the adapter, therefore I don't use a case at all I don't know.
well i m sure the adaptor contributed a few, plus i love my carbon fiber element case on my iPhone, sucks we have to remove the cover every time to use the dock.
insane79 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #117
insane79
Major
 
insane79's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 lci
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,084
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
The iPhone does not support an external antenna via a connection unfortunately. BMW uses an induction type antenna to basically "boost" the existing antenna on the iPhone. So no matter what, you have to wrap around the phone where then antenna is.
so does this induction antenna also work when the iPhone is not connected in the snap in adaptor? sorry didn't follow what your trying to say

Thanks..
insane79 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #118
doug_999
Captain
 
doug_999's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
so does this induction antenna also work when the iPhone is not connected in the snap in adaptor? sorry didn't follow what your trying to say

Thanks..
No. That's the point -when it is in the cradle, the iPhone antenna (internal) is touching the induction point of the cradle/snap-in adapter. Let me know if that does not make sense - I can probably post a picture if it helps.
__________________
2014 650xi GC, Imola Red/Black. MsportEd, CWP, B&O, 20" wheels
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
doug_999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #119
mscottc
New Member
 
Drives: x28X1
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

So besides the antenna issue the BMW webpage discussing this product also says "For vehicles with Smart Phone Integration, this adapter not only charges the phone, but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. In addition, it provides a connection to the roof mounted telephone antenna on your car for improved cellular reception. For vehicles with BMW APPS, this adapter is required to fully utilize all features of this option."

So what other connectivity is this providing, and why could I not just do this with some form of cable rather than cradle?
mscottc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 04:34 AM   #120
Jammy335i
Registered
 
Jammy335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i M Pkg
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Germany

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Whats the point?
Jammy335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #121
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy335i View Post
Whats the point?
The point is to collect 400 euros from people who can't be bothered to use a cable
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
bradleyland is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #122
matt
Captain
 
Drives: munichs finest
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Stuttgart

Posts: 611
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to matt
So I just use the standard apple USB cable?
__________________
f*ckin' love my car <3
matt is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #123
Radders123
Registered
 
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport Coupe 2009
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Sorry for the noob question but getting my first BMW tomorrow a late 2009 E92.
When I looked at the car I don't think I saw a USB port in the armrest but I did see an aux port and I think a snap in thing. It's not got an I drive unit but does have USB.

My question is if they do fix the adaptor will this let me control the iPhone with the steering wheel controls? I'd really like to do this but if the car doesn't have a USB port I can't see another way other than an expensive +++ retrofit. How would I find out?

Thanks
Radders123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #124
insane79
Major
 
insane79's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 lci
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,084
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radders123 View Post
Sorry for the noob question but getting my first BMW tomorrow a late 2009 E92.
When I looked at the car I don't think I saw a USB port in the armrest but I did see an aux port and I think a snap in thing. It's not got an I drive unit but does have USB.

My question is if they do fix the adaptor will this let me control the iPhone with the steering wheel controls? I'd really like to do this but if the car doesn't have a USB port I can't see another way other than an expensive +++ retrofit. How would I find out?

Thanks
the usb port in the arm rest is covered my a plastic thingie that u have to slide, its right next to the Aux plug, re check it again.
insane79 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #125
Radders123
Registered
 
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport Coupe 2009
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Ok thanks. Picking it up tomorrow and will be sad if it doesn't have this.

I thought some preps have an aux but no USB
Radders123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #126
Radders123
Registered
 
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport Coupe 2009
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radders123 View Post
It's not got an I drive unit but does have USB
Sorry that was a mistake. It doesn't have iDrive but does have Bluetooth. I have no idea from the specs i've read if it has USB. Still I'll look for the USB when I pick it up.
So If it doesn't have a USB port will the snap in do the same thing?

Last edited by Radders123; 03-10-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Radders123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #127
Johndong888
John
 
Johndong888's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 AW/FR M3 & '14 F15 X5
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Posts: 787
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via Skype™ to Johndong888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radders123 View Post
Sorry that was a mistake. It doesn't have iDrive but does have Bluetooth. I have no idea from the specs i've read if it has USB. Still I'll look for the USB when I pick it up.
So If it doesn't have a USB port will the snap in do the same thing?
I wasn't aware they made snap-in standard back in 2009 and especially since you dont' have I-drive, snap-in seems like it would be a waste for BMW to make standard. But if you do happen to have the snap-in, you can get a media edition cradle and just put in your iphone that way.

In earlier production vehicles, the USB in the armrest has a slider cover to it so it could be there. If not, I think there's a retrofit out, wasn't too bad pricewise.
__________________

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 - DCT w EDC, ZPP w Tech, Apps, Enhanced Sound, SAT.
Mods - BPMTune Stg1, Piano Black, Euro Visors, OEM Performance CF Spoiler + Grills + Pedals, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, Lux V3, ModeCarbon GTS V1 Lip, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i - Step, Premium, Sports, Logic7, Comfort, Navi, SAT, Alum.
Johndong888 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #128
MattBianco
Second Lieutenant
 
MattBianco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 35d
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Marin, California

Posts: 246
iTrader: (0)

Very Valuable Cradles

The cradle thing is so cute I am going to value everything in terms of cradles.

EUR 400 for a piece of molded plastic with a connector to existing wiring.

I just paid $74k for well optioned X5d. For the same money I could have bought 135 of this snap in adapters. All that metal, wiring, assembly, paint, wheels, leather, wood, espressos at the dealer.....is worth 135 cradles.

Try surprising your wife by giving her 140 cradles -5 more- and see how much joy you will bring into her life.

10 cradles gets you an intl biz class seat.

4 cradles gets you a very nice mountain bike.

1 cradle gets you a descent suite in many hotels

1 cradle drive my car for 3,400 miles -it buys 130 gallons of diesel, which was easily lifted out of the ground in a hostile country, shipped 1000s of miles, refined, trucked to a station and sold.

1 cradle is the per annum income for many people around the globe

3 cradles gets you an LED TV that is at least 42"

1 cradle buys you a fridge that is good enough for a rental apt.

.....

These cradles are really valuable.
MattBianco is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2014, 02:33 AM   #129
tmdals0213
Captain
 
tmdals0213's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 Series
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: amazon.com

Posts: 969
iTrader: (1)

i had no idea this --> "BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter Cradle Now Available "

existed WOAH

different world of e90post
tmdals0213 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #130
doug_999
Captain
 
doug_999's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
These cradles are really valuable.
The cradles can be had for about $200 USD (check ebay and other dealers). I believe they list at about $250.

Now you may wish to save your pennies and get the "Ceramic Controls" at $650 or how about the Leather Dashboard at $1,200? Or heck, throw a HVAC controller in back for the kids at $500.

None of these "cost" what BMW charges for them. However, based on demand, number sold, inventory allocation, etc etc etc - the price goes up to what it is per BMW. The good news is we can choose to buy or not. So if the cradle is worth $200 to you - go for it! But it is not 400 EUD.
__________________
2014 650xi GC, Imola Red/Black. MsportEd, CWP, B&O, 20" wheels
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
doug_999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #131
doug_999
Captain
 
doug_999's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
I wasn't aware they made snap-in standard back in 2009 and especially since you dont' have I-drive, snap-in seems like it would be a waste for BMW to make standard. But if you do happen to have the snap-in, you can get a media edition cradle and just put in your iphone that way.

In earlier production vehicles, the USB in the armrest has a slider cover to it so it could be there. If not, I think there's a retrofit out, wasn't too bad pricewise.
I believe I had one in my 2006 550

You did need an option however for this (I think it was the iPod and USB adapter).
__________________
2014 650xi GC, Imola Red/Black. MsportEd, CWP, B&O, 20" wheels
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
doug_999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #132
MattBianco
Second Lieutenant
 
MattBianco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 35d
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Marin, California

Posts: 246
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
The cradles can be had for about $200 USD (check ebay and other dealers). I believe they list at about $250

Now you may wish to save your pennies and get the "Ceramic Controls" at $650 or how about the Leather Dashboard at $1,200? ......

None of these "cost" what BMW charges for them. However, based on demand, number sold, inventory allocation, etc etc etc - the price goes up to what it is per BMW. The good news is we can choose to buy or not. So if the cradle is worth $200 to you - go for it! But it is not 400 EUD.
I have the leather. $20k cars do not have it and can't order it. But they handles iPhone integration a lot better, it seems.

I understand a new version of the adapter is to be released shortly that does marginally more, and it will be a lot more expensive to offer what $20k cars offer, perhaps.

My two disappointments with the car I took delivery of last week are incomplete delivery of tech promises (menu placeholders that do nothing) and that the dealer by mistake took my storage space away and had the factory install the spare kit. The latter is not BMWs fault.

From everything I've read my '14 x5 won't be compatible with CarPlay. Id love to hear otherwise.
MattBianco is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST