BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #23
FrenchBoy
Major
FrenchBoy's Avatar
France
42
Rep
1,376
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Good read. I'll be there. I am assuming I will have to do these "tricks" with my Akra Evo.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #24
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
3,874
Posts

 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
Great link, thanks Radiantm3! Have you been black flagged out there? Did you just start "lifting" at the sound check location? Did that work for you?
I've been black flagged on some days, and fine on others. I'm right on the border. But I just upshift a bit early between 5 and 6 and have been fine with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #25
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I've been black flagged on some days, and fine on others. I'm right on the border. But I just upshift a bit early between 5 and 6 and have been fine with that.
What are you running exhaust wise on your M3?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #26
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Good read. I'll be there. I am assuming I will have to do these "tricks" with my Akra Evo.
I'm contemplating taking off my aftermarket exhaust and bolting up my OEM exhaust thats sitting in the garage collecting dust.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
3,874
Posts

 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
What are you running exhaust wise on your M3?
Akra evo
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
OC ///M's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,820
Posts

 
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Good read. I'll be there. I am assuming I will have to do these "tricks" with my Akra Evo.
FWIW- I ran w/ my Akra Evo and never lifted between 5 & 6 and didn't get called for sound during last year's 2-day CCA event.

There were even louder cars (think vettes with straight pipes) running that were "cleared" that I thought would have been black-flagged too.

You'll be fine, tricks are for kids.
__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
3,874
Posts

 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
FWIW- I ran w/ my Akra Evo and never lifted between 5 & 6 and didn't get called for sound during last year's 2-day CCA event.

There were even louder cars (think vettes with straight pipes) running that were "cleared" that I thought would have been black-flagged too.

You'll be fine, tricks are for kids.
As I said before, it depends on the weather. I've done about 15 days at laguna and occasionally I'll get flagged for sound. Usually on a cloudy day.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
FrenchBoy
Major
FrenchBoy's Avatar
France
42
Rep
1,376
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
As I said before, it depends on the weather. I've done about 15 days at laguna and occasionally I'll get flagged for sound. Usually on a cloudy day.
Thanks for the good input. I am assuming your ESS supercharger is making the Akra Evo sound a bit louder too.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #31
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
3,874
Posts

 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Thanks for the good input. I am assuming your ESS supercharger is making the Akra Evo sound a bit louder too.
My supercharger made me go over sound every time. I'm talking about without the kit on.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #32
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Sure is a tough call...I have my OEM exhaust that I could throw on there for the week to quiet things down and ensure I wouldn't go over db's. Kind of a lot of work though for something that's going be on the car for literally a week. But, I guess if you think of it like you do for changing brake pads/fluid for the track, it's not that much different.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #33
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
dagolfpro's Avatar
Taiwan
30
Rep
1,911
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
FWIW- I ran w/ my Akra Evo and never lifted between 5 & 6 and didn't get called for sound during last year's 2-day CCA event.

There were even louder cars (think vettes with straight pipes) running that were "cleared" that I thought would have been black-flagged too.

You'll be fine, tricks are for kids.
That just means you and the others weren't driving hard enough to go over the sound. J/k. I've been with radiantm3 and I'm surprised he doesn't go over he sound more frequently, then again, he's always lifting going up towards turn 6.

I have the OEM exhaust mod and have gone over the 92db many times. But never 3 in 1 day . I made the mistake and thought the mic was a smaller box just after turn 5 and not this larger structure pictured below.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=59281

When I learned that I was accerating too soon, I'm surprised that I didn't get flagged more. I'm hoping that with the new info, I won't get flagged again. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock exhaust would go over as well. 92db is not that loud.
__________________
2011 E90 AW | DCT | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | Prem Sound | Moonroof | BMW Apps |
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
OC ///M's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,820
Posts

 
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
That just means you and the others weren't driving hard enough to go over the sound. J/k. I've been with radiantm3 and I'm surprised he doesn't go over he sound more frequently, then again, he's always lifting going up towards turn 6.

I have the OEM exhaust mod and have gone over the 92db many times. But never 3 in 1 day . I made the mistake and thought the mic was a smaller box just after turn 5 and not this larger structure pictured below.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=59281

When I learned that I was accerating too soon, I'm surprised that I didn't get flagged more. I'm hoping that with the new info, I won't get flagged again. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock exhaust would go over as well. 92db is not that loud.
Interesting...not sure why you and radiant are challenging me, I'm just passing on my experiences there. This is only the 22nd year in a row I've been, and each time there seems to always be louder cars (vettes & rotarys, with headers & straight pipes) on the track that don't get black-flagged. I think it's more about lifting at the right time than anything else if you have a louder car.

No one is going to get cited for running over 92dbs with the OEM exhaust, I'm only providing some prospective so we don't have a bunch of freaked-out people with axle-backs going crazy thinking they have to put their stock exhausts back on in order to run there.

Good night!
__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #35
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
dagolfpro's Avatar
Taiwan
30
Rep
1,911
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
Sure is a tough call...I have my OEM exhaust that I could throw on there for the week to quiet things down and ensure I wouldn't go over db's. Kind of a lot of work though for something that's going be on the car for literally a week. But, I guess if you think of it like you do for changing brake pads/fluid for the track, it's not that much different.
OP, just lift right before you hit the shed like the rest of us do and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
Interesting...not sure why you and radiant are challenging me, I'm just passing on my experiences there. This is only the 22nd year in a row I've been, and each time there seems to always be louder cars (vettes & rotarys, with headers & straight pipes) on the track that don't get black-flagged. I think it's more about lifting at the right time than anything else if you have a louder car.

No one is going to get cited for running over 92dbs with the OEM exhaust, I'm only providing some prospective so we don't have a bunch of freaked-out people with axle-backs going crazy thinking they have to put their stock exhausts back on in order to run there.

Good night!
sorry that you felt you're being challenged, that was not my intent, i guess the j/k part wasn't enough, my apologies.

as for getting cited, I was told by various organizers that there is the fine is $1000 per lap for going over the sound of 92db (some events this year will have 90db limit) but it's never been enforced by the county (who owns Laguna Seca). so, this maybe moot, but, one never knows at they do have county rangers driving around the paddock areas during the track day.
__________________
2011 E90 AW | DCT | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | Prem Sound | Moonroof | BMW Apps |
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #36
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
OC ///M's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,820
Posts

 
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
...one never knows at they do have county rangers driving around the paddock areas during the track day.
ROFL... those county guys are NOT there to issue citations to drivers! They're responsible for park management, facilities, and maintenance of the parcel.

That being said, local law enforcement and CHP WILL issue citations for any hooliganism on the roadways throughout the site and the Park Rangers do enforce the trails and open space areas.

Cheers!
__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #37
Reno
Private First Class
3
Rep
167
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

I had full Evo without a supercharger and never went over. Superchargers seemed to make it louder. I also have my axle back ceramic coated so that might make a difference. Basically the Evo is right at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #38
joe@trinityautosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
joe@trinityautosport's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
514
Posts


 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tustin CA

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to joe@trinityautosport
I would change your exhaust to stock. I had ran rpi x pipe/oem mufflers and did a 102db and got flagged TWICE. I went to a local muffler shop and hacked the crap out of the x pipe and added resonators and still got it with a 99db. A friend told me to start short shifting up 5-6 and I got away with 89db If I were you I would not take the chance and put your oem exhaust on before heading out to Laguna.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #39
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Here is your solution. Picture taken at Laguna Seca.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST