BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
JD3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 589
iTrader: (2)

How hard do you push the M3?

Most cars I have owned redline around 6700 rpm so 6-6.5K is pushing it (S4, Z4 3.0si, IS350, Cherokee). The M3 obviously has a different type engine and feeling 100% comfortable at such a high RPM has been a mental hurdle for me. The M3 has been great so far and I'm really trying to understand how hard I can push it without expecting issues. I understand hard driving will wear a car quicker, what I'm trying to avoid is catastrophe! The car is 09 e92 DCT with 53K miles, turner test pipes, BPMsport tune and no warranty.
Essentially, what is Abuse vs Maximizing it's capabilities? Does the engine suffer any major harm if it's bounced off the rev limiter on a weekly basis? I see a lot of comments about keeping it above 5K and redlining it daily. Is that something that you will pay for in a major way at some point? For example, do the differential bolts break regularly or at a much greater rate when pushed daily? Are people blowing these engines at 100K? Is DCT/Engine a lot more prone to issues after repeated aggressive downshifts and use? Are there any tell-tale signs to watch for?
OR does the M3 have enough nannys and warning lights to keep you from really doing much damage, aside from freak things, which I know happen.
I understand that you have to "pay to play" and I know driving hard increases the risk of issues. I'm just trying to find that middle ground of driving hard without being worried about something going "CLUNK" or seeing a cloud of smoke, haha! Thanks for any advice and for sharing your experiences.
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
ruff1017
Private
 
ruff1017's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 6speed
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

I could have answered this question in detail
But I will make it short and sweet.
No, M3's engine and transmission is not going to break at all with hard driving on the public road.
Follow the maintenance schedule and have fun driving it.
Just try to shift about 2~400 rpm earlier than the fuel cut as there is no point to hitting the limiter and you and M3 will be fine for a long time.

Happy motoring!
ruff1017 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
JD3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 589
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1017 View Post
I could have answered this question in detail
But I will make it short and sweet.
No, M3's engine and transmission is not going to break at all with hard driving on the public road.
Follow the maintenance schedule and have fun driving it.
Just try to shift about 2~400 rpm earlier than the fuel cut as there is no point to hitting the limiter and you and M3 will be fine for a long time.

Happy motoring!
Thanks, this is the type of positive reinforcement I need, haha. Simple overall experiences from people who drive the car harder than I have is appreciated.
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
 
w00tw00t's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,621
iTrader: (11)

please don't bounce it off the rev-limiter though... other than that the car and engine is designed to be pushed hard... I push it to 8300-8500 rpm shifts at every track day I go to.. so does every other track rat on this forum..
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Chriskm3
Colonel
 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

I heard a lot of issues with modded 335,just hit up their forum.
Our m3 does not have any issues with the engine and tranny. Dct gets expensive after warranty runs out, so I hear, but the engine is rock solid. There is a lot of supercharged m3 that Take the meaning of "drive it like you stole it " to another level, but for vast majority the m3 e92 seems to be bullet proof. -except of rod bearings and blows engines. But we can discuss that issue when u get boosted.
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
AshyLarryMP
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 395
iTrader: (0)

What is bad about bouncing off the rev limiter?
AshyLarryMP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
 
ONEOF40 FS M3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
M cars are meant to driven hard at all times...

e92 M3 - 8K + ....

No such a thing as babying an M car...

Four M cars...no issues
__________________
CURRENT RIDES - 14 991 C2S 7MT/ 12 FROZEN SILVER E92 M3 / 03 GPW S2K AP1

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT
ONEOF40 FS M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,478
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
What is bad about bouncing off the rev limiter?
The rev limiter is there to protect the engine. It is not intended to be used as a regular feature. If the limiter cuts in, it means you pushed a little too far.

I don't know if by "bouncing" off the limiter you imply keeping your right foot burried while the engine repeatedly hits the limiter. If that is the case, I would definitely avoid that.

If you hit the limiter by inadvertance once in a while, nothing wrong with that. Just don't make it a habit .

To answer the OP's original question, I drive my M pretty hard. It sees plenty of track days (15-18 a year) and the RPM is always in 6000-8400RPM band while on track. I have not had any serious issues with either the engine or the DCT . The car is also my DD, so I also drive it smoothly on the street with the occasional romp .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-06-2013 at 09:24 AM.
CanAutM3 is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
JD3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 589
iTrader: (2)

This exactly what I was thinking I would hear. Thanks and keep it comin!
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Obioban
Captain
 
Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

Posts: 763
iTrader: (0)

Just make sure she's warmed up first.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's e91, 1995 S50 B32 GT3 RS Green M3 Race Car
Former Cars: 2004 TiAg/IR M3, 1996 TV/black M3, 1995 AW M3 shell
M3 Mod List, M5 Mod List
Obioban is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,478
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Just make sure she's warmed up first.
+1 Good point
CanAutM3 is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
mdefalco25
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 AW 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Normal, IL

Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

Do you guys stay away from the rev limiter while engine is warming up? I feel like it's best to go easy on the motor in the cold, but assume the limiter is in place so what it's set at for RPMs is deemed acceptable by BMW. Just curious.
__________________
mdefalco25 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban
Just make sure she's warmed up first.
+2. And you can totally beat on it... Had it on the track in over 100 degree weather and my iPhone actually shut down, but the car was flawless all day! Think that's where this car really shines, it can be driven very hard, for a very long time...once went to a private track day with a few peeps and was on track for close to 45 minutes in 90+ heat and had to pull off because I was overheating before the car was...A very robust car
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,478
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post
Do you guys stay away from the rev limiter while engine is warming up? I feel like it's best to go easy on the motor in the cold, but assume the limiter is in place so what it's set at for RPMs is deemed acceptable by BMW. Just curious.
The limiter follows the variable redline. But I keep it well below that until the oil reaches operating temperature. I prefer to keep it below 3000RPM and avoid full throttle until it is warmed-up.
CanAutM3 is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
AshyLarryMP
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 395
iTrader: (0)

I keep it under 4k until it gets warm.
AshyLarryMP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
carbon//m3
Second Lieutenant
 
carbon//m3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 265
iTrader: (2)

Man after reading all these posts I need to start really driving my car.
carbon//m3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
JD3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 589
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
I keep it under 4k until it gets warm.
Yeah, I'm very attentive to the temp. Even had the lower cold rev limit the from bpm.
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Just make sure she's warmed up first.
I second that ^^^ also treat her like your woman sometimes sweet and sometimes rough, just not too rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
Most cars I have owned redline around 6700 rpm so 6-6.5K is pushing it (S4, Z4 3.0si, IS350, Cherokee). The M3 obviously has a different type engine and feeling 100% comfortable at such a high RPM has been a mental hurdle for me. The M3 has been great so far and I'm really trying to understand how hard I can push it without expecting issues. I understand hard driving will wear a car quicker, what I'm trying to avoid is catastrophe! The car is 09 e92 DCT with 53K miles, turner test pipes, BPMsport tune and no warranty.
Essentially, what is Abuse vs Maximizing it's capabilities? Does the engine suffer any major harm if it's bounced off the rev limiter on a weekly basis? I see a lot of comments about keeping it above 5K and redlining it daily. Is that something that you will pay for in a major way at some point? For example, do the differential bolts break regularly or at a much greater rate when pushed daily? Are people blowing these engines at 100K? Is DCT/Engine a lot more prone to issues after repeated aggressive downshifts and use? Are there any tell-tale signs to watch for?
OR does the M3 have enough nannys and warning lights to keep you from really doing much damage, aside from freak things, which I know happen.
I understand that you have to "pay to play" and I know driving hard increases the risk of issues. I'm just trying to find that middle ground of driving hard without being worried about something going "CLUNK" or seeing a cloud of smoke, haha! Thanks for any advice and for sharing your experiences.
Don't push her too hard or you end up like this
Attached Images
 
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
 
M3forMe's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E92 - AW
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orange

Posts: 531
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon//m3 View Post
Man after reading all these posts I need to start really driving my car.
I was thinking the same thing. Man I don't drive it nearly hard enough.
__________________

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
M3forMe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
robotk
Second Lieutenant
 
robotk's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE

Posts: 269
iTrader: (1)

I baby it until the oil temp is completely normal. After that, I drive it like I stole it, but I don't bounce the rev limiter.
__________________
1993 e36 325i, 1999 e46 328i, 2005 ap2 s2000, 2007 WRX STi, 2008 g37s coupe, 2009 Audi a4 2.0T Avant
robotk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,061
iTrader: (2)

Very hard. Especially on the track.
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #22
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,228
iTrader: (6)

Flatout
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hard driving

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST