BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

09-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

4 owners in 3 years old car

Would you buy it? Carfax came out clean but it looks like they were all leased. Asked the dealership, they said it belong to sister of the owner to the dealership.
Price is 5-8k below the market price. It has combo i like. Still has 1 manufacture warranty left. No accident reported and car is clean. Oh it only has 15k miles.

I want to hear some thought. Half of mind says, walk away and the other half says go.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
DSilk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
Would you buy it? Carfax came out clean but it looks like they were all leased. Asked the dealership, they said it belong to sister of the owner to the dealership.
Price is 5-8k below the market price. It has combo i like. Still has 1 manufacture warranty left. No accident reported and car is clean. Oh it only has 15k miles.

I want to hear some thought. Half of mind says, walk away and the other half says go.
If the car can pass a thorough, independent PPI, I would buy it. But an independent inspection from a trusted and competent BMW mechanic who knows the e9X M3 is a must.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
Rep

By the way, this car is for 981 cayman s, if it matters. I am buying a weekend toy to playing with. I found a cayman s in my combo preference, low miles, car is clean drives nice but carfax came out it has 4 ownerz.
I asked for the inspection sheet, i will find more info after.
What i am worried is, having 4 lease owners in 3 years old car must have abused the vehicle. No?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
DSilk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
By the way, this car is for 981 cayman s, if it matters. I am buying a weekend toy to playing with. I found a cayman s in my combo preference, low miles, car is clean drives nice but carfax came out it has 4 ownerz.
I asked for the inspection sheet, i will find more info after.
What i am worried is, having 4 lease owners in 3 years old car must have abused the vehicle. No?
PPI through trusted Porsche mechanic. Porsches are well made and generally reliable, but work on them is expensive. I looked at a Cayman S when I bought my M3, but a 2 seater doesn't fit my needs.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Rat3d ///M
///M Flight - Europe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

My car had 4 owners when I bought it and was 4 years old. One thing I noticed about these cars is people don't often own them for long. Some people (especially enthusiasts) change cars like they change their socks. why should it matter if the car was maintained and cared for?
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
If the car can pass a thorough, independent PPI, I would buy it. But an independent inspection from a trusted and competent BMW mechanic who knows the e9X M3 is a must.
It probably is a must, but I bought my 2 owner 2008 E90 3 years ago sight unseen 3 states over and it has been the best car I've ever owned. Sometimes rolling the dice works.

but yeah, get the PPI if you can
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
By the way, this car is for 981 cayman s,
ohh, nm, sri.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
the6M3
Resurrected
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 ZCP M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
My car had 4 owners when I bought it and was 4 years old. One thing I noticed about these cars is people don't often own them for long. Some people (especially enthusiasts) change cars like they change their socks. why should it matter if the car was maintained and cared for?
This.

/thread.
      09-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
loveskiing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

There's a reason why it's priced lower when a car has four owners in four years. No inference that means it's not mechanically sound, just be aware it's usually harder to find a buyer with five owners, than one from original owner, all other variables being equal.
By all means a thorough PPI is mandatory. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
rdoctor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
Sometimes I think that CarFax includes any transaction in the number of owners calculation. I've seen a CarFax report that showed a car with 4 owners but if you look carefully at the report it looks like at least one of the "owners" wasn't really what we consider an owner who drives the car. A dealer buying from an auction for example triggers a title change. It's a transaction and the title changes hands but it's not an actual driver owner. In this example the cars mileage increased 70 miles from one owner to the other. The car changed hands again to a real owner 3 months later. I think this is the reason for some of the very short ownership periods that show up in these reports.
      09-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
monterey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoctor View Post
Sometimes I think that CarFax includes any transaction in the number of owners calculation. I've seen a CarFax report that showed a car with 4 owners but if you look carefully at the report it looks like at least one of the "owners" wasn't really what we consider an owner who drives the car. A dealer buying from an auction for example triggers a title change. It's a transaction and the title changes hands but it's not an actual driver owner. In this example the cars mileage increased 70 miles from one owner to the other. The car changed hands again to a real owner 3 months later. I think this is the reason for some of the very short ownership periods that show up in these reports.
I agree, sometimes bank change hands and will trigger a new owner.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, read the detailed report of title events to better determine when the car was sold to an actual owner (user). Some of the reports are too sketchy to even tell what the real story is.

Also, the higher-end enthusiast cars turnover more rapidly, so number of owners can climb quickly and not mean something is wrong with that particular example.

Last edited by Beemdog; 09-23-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
Rep

Quote:
this is actually the case for this car. Dealer verified it is 1 owner, 1 dealership actually.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #14
loveskiing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
this is actually the case for this car. Dealer verified it is 1 owner, 1 dealership actually.
Ah...it's a Canuck car, why didn't you say that in your original posting? They do it differently up there...like km's instead of miles, kg instead of pounds, C instead of F...4 owners instead of 1...I know it's weird but they do live in igloo's and still eat whale blubber so what do you expect?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
Ah...it's a Canuck car, why didn't you say that in your original posting? They do it differently up there...like km's instead of miles, kg instead of pounds, C instead of F...4 owners instead of 1...I know it's weird but they do live in igloo's and still eat whale blubber so what do you expect?
hahahhahahahaa
yeah, I contacted the SA about the carfax indicating 4 owners. SA talked to the owner whose sister actually owned it in the first place. Owner confirmed the ownership passed from his sister and the dealership.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #16
nachob
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP

Quote:
Correct, my car was owned by a Canadian dealer and registered as a Corporate car. Every year that they renewed the plate, it would show on Carfax as change of title so it says I have 5 owners on mine but I am actually the third owner. I also ran into a guy selling a 1M that said he was the original owner but Carfax showed two owners. He leased the car for 3 years then bought it after the lease and it was recorded as a change of ownership. So review the history and you might find something like this going on.

Best wishes.
Appreciate 0