BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

09-15-2017, 01:36 AM   #1
jeff_cookie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

Drove M3 For The First Time

Just wanted to share my experience driving what I always thought was my dream car tonight...

First, a bit of background on me. I've owned 2 335i, m235, and currently an Audi S3. I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel of the older v10 m5 and most recent m5. For the past couple years I've wanted an e90. I love the look and the sound of it.

As I've been getting closer to purchasing one, tonight I took my first test drive and I was a bit underwhelmed. It felt slower than my stock S3 and didn't seem too loud inside the cabin with the windows up. Am I missing something with the car or is its age starting to show? I was expecting some pull and to hear that V8 scream.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

Yeah.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 01:43 AM   #3
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Did you just take it on a spin in a straight line or did you hit some nice back roads? These cars aren't very fast in todays world with everything turbo'd and having nice low end torque. If you have the extra cash slap a supercharger on it and enjoy.

Follow me on IG: dre.m3
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 01:45 AM   #4
jeff_cookie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Didn't get to do any serious driving just a 15minute little spin with a couple decent curves.

What does a supercharger cost on these cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 01:50 AM   #5
jeff_cookie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Yeah.
Please enlighten me!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 01:55 AM   #6
TWiTCHY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SSII E92 M3

I came to love the E9X M3 after driving one with a modified exhaust and then fell in love again after taking it out on a track. Nothing was more underwhelming than test driving an M3 with stock exhaust while I was in the market for one. Luckily, I found one with a Remus Race exhaust on it already and that showed me what the S65 was all about. Go drive it again but leave the muffler off
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 02:09 AM   #7
jeff_cookie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
I came to love the E9X M3 after driving one with a modified exhaust and then fell in love again after taking it out on a track. Nothing was more underwhelming than test driving an M3 with stock exhaust while I was in the market for one. Luckily, I found one with a Remus Race exhaust on it already and that showed me what the S65 was all about. Go drive it again but leave the muffler off
Yeah, I feel like it is very hard to explore the car in a quick test drive. Need to find some friends DS with these.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #8
srmast1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3

It's going to feel slower than the turbo cars you are used to. It might not be slower, but it will feel slower since you have to wind out the engine for max potential and the rev range is sooo long. I came from a modded STI and my m3 felt slow in comparison. You don't get the low end torque rush that you do in the turbo cars. Not to mention you get the torque rush over a narrow rpm range and then it's over even though you have more rev range to go. Not so with the e9x with its broad and flat torque curve. You get power all the way to the end of the rev range. I also came from turbo cars so it took a little bit to get used to but it's a more enjoyable and rewarding driving experience for me since I have a 6mt and I love winding it out. I'm not sure how I'd feel with dct but I test drove a 440i with m sport package and the 8 spd auto manual with steering wheel shift paddles and I did not have as much fun as I would have if it was a manual. But, it had that characteristic narrow power band that alot of turbo cars seem to have, and I prefer NA + MT. Just my opinion though.
Fyi, if you look into the gear ratios of the e9x and multiply it out, it actually puts more torque to the wheels than a stock 335i, you just don't get the torque in a rush, over a narrow rev range like you would in a turbo car. It's in the gearing, clever BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #9
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Try pressing the gas pedal down. Don't stop until it red lines.
      09-15-2017, 02:45 AM   #10
JsL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP VF540

In stock form, the car is slow and underwhelming in today's standards. You really need to be in the 6k to 8k rpms for the car to feel sorta fast. As some already mentioned, torque is what makes a car feel fast, and the S65 engine is lacking in that department.

If straight line speed in stock form is your thing, this is not the car for you.

Test pipes and exhaust really make the car more special with a borderline exotic car experience. The composed chassis, hydraulic power steering, linear power delivery, throttle response and rev-happiness of the engine is what makes me stay with this platform. I like the platform so much, I supercharged it too.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 03:05 AM   #11
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
This. Most people who have driven my car shift way too early being conditioned to a 6k everyman car redline. You really do need to grab it by the neck with assertive inputs in power mode to feel it shine. That well of torque from your s3 or 335 simply isn't there. But a glorious rush awaits you up top if you stay committed.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2017, 03:13 AM   #12
tdott
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Slow?.
You guys are crazy, its plenty fast on the street, within seconds your at illegal speeds in any state. Sorry it doesnt 'feel' fast to you. Stick to your 335i then or maybe the newer m3/m4 is more up your alley.
Appreciate 4
      09-15-2017, 03:40 AM   #13
Flying Ace
mdosu
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d, Civic M3 w/1.5 psi off

If you spent a ton of time in a E60 M5, that's the fastest car you've ever driven then. That car is still one of the best performance cars money can buy 10 years later.

If you're not impressed by the E9X M3, then take your time, find a 2009/10 E63 or E60 M5/6 in a 6MT and call it a day. You will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 03:47 AM   #14
Flying Ace
mdosu
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d, Civic M3 w/1.5 psi off

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Seriously, still gives me chills 7 years in my ownership. Still feels like the first time I redlined the car. It's a monster and makes all other cars turn into a speck in your rear window.

I didn't realize it one day while driving on a freeway, some millennial in a B8 S4 was trying to impress his girl by tailing me. When road cleared up, I punched it in 4th gear for 5 seconds, my neck slaps back and he's a speck in my mirror, and I'm at 120 mph. I slow down to legal speeds, and literally it takes that dude half a minute to catch up to me. I estimate he probably realized he could keep up after we passed 100, which was like after 3 seconds for me.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2017, 03:48 AM   #15
JayyLebron
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

I have an aftermarket exhaust and I'm in Scottsdale just about every weekend if you wanted to hear a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #16
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Needs some bolt on mods and a tune to wake it up a bit and you need to be willing to run it to 8400 rpm. With a manual, it takes work but with a dct the trans will do the work for you faster than you could do it.

Much more like a baby E60M5 in terms of power band than a turbo car. I actually really like turbo power, on a properly set up and modified car so power does not fall off much up top.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #17
Ngilbe36
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 IB

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_cookie View Post
Didn't get to do any serious driving just a 15minute little spin with a couple decent curves.

What does a supercharger cost on these cars?
Did you get the car over 5 grand? If not, the car is a little bit of a dog, but after that, its a RACECAR!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
decimation1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 MT

I agree with all of the above. Change the exhaust and rev it out, hit some back roads. Straight line test driving this car, especially in traffic would be very underwhelming. I recently took my e90 to the track for the first time a few weeks ago. That's when I TRULY realized how great a platform this car is, it's unbelievable on the track. I seriously doubt I will ever be able to drive this car 10/10 on the track, it's that good!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #19
DSilk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
The M3 makes its power at the high end of the rev scale. Unless you take it to the point where the engine is making real power, between 5,000 and 8,400 rpm, the car will never feel like the fast thoroughbred it is. Power peaks at redline in the M3, and you cannot drive it like a 335i and expect to feel anything special. Driven properly the M3 will be substantially faster on a circuit than a 335i, but unlike the 335i (which my mother could drive to the limit), the M3 requires a substantial amount of driver input and effort to get the most out of it. That is why it is so much more enjoyable to drive for true enthusiasts.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #20
jeff_cookie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
It's going to feel slower than the turbo cars you are used to. It might not be slower, but it will feel slower since you have to wind out the engine for max potential and the rev range is sooo long. I came from a modded STI and my m3 felt slow in comparison. You don't get the low end torque rush that you do in the turbo cars. Not to mention you get the torque rush over a narrow rpm range and then it's over even though you have more rev range to go. Not so with the e9x with its broad and flat torque curve. You get power all the way to the end of the rev range. I also came from turbo cars so it took a little bit to get used to but it's a more enjoyable and rewarding driving experience for me since I have a 6mt and I love winding it out. I'm not sure how I'd feel with dct but I test drove a 440i with m sport package and the 8 spd auto manual with steering wheel shift paddles and I did not have as much fun as I would have if it was a manual. But, it had that characteristic narrow power band that alot of turbo cars seem to have, and I prefer NA + MT. Just my opinion though.
Fyi, if you look into the gear ratios of the e9x and multiply it out, it actually puts more torque to the wheels than a stock 335i, you just don't get the torque in a rush, over a narrow rev range like you would in a turbo car. It's in the gearing, clever BMW.
Makes a lot of sense. Did you love that feel instantly without the torque rush or did you have to get used to it?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #21
jeff_cookie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirploppy View Post
This. Most people who have driven my car shift way too early being conditioned to a 6k everyman car redline. You really do need to grab it by the neck with assertive inputs in power mode to feel it shine. That well of torque from your s3 or 335 simply isn't there. But a glorious rush awaits you up top if you stay committed.
Possibly could be this, I shifted once I thought I saw the shift lights come on but I'm not 100% sure if those were the redline ones or not. It was such a quick test drive and I was trying to take it all in.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #22
jeff_cookie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
Did you get the car over 5 grand? If not, the car is a little bit of a dog, but after that, its a RACECAR!
I thought I was taking it to redline but maybe only went to 6500 - 7000
Appreciate 0