BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #1
dreamspeed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Orange/brown gunk on oil cap area

Anyone know what this crap is around the oil cap area?

I tried searching and it looks like it might be something to do with condensation from not driving the car enough?

I bought the car with ~18k miles and I believe it always had this gunk, it hasn't gotten worse since i've owned it so i guess this is from the previous owner? Makes sense since the previous owner didn't drive the car much.

I've put like 60k miles on the car since and my daily commute is like 2.5 hours round trip so...

Anyways, is it better to try and scrape it off (a bunch will inevitably fall into the engine) or just leave it.

I'm guessing leave it since it's been like that for 60k miles with no adverse effects?

Opinions?
Attached Images

Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #2
Phil5129
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I get this on my Mercedes that sits all summer. I researched it and I came the same conclusion of condensation. I wiped it up and did my best to keep it from dropping down.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Anyone know what this crap is around the oil cap area?

I tried searching and it looks like it might be something to do with condensation from not driving the car enough?

I bought the car with ~18k miles and I believe it always had this gunk, it hasn't gotten worse since i've owned it so i guess this is from the previous owner? Makes sense since the previous owner didn't drive the car much.

I've put like 60k miles on the car since and my daily commute is like 2.5 hours round trip so...

Anyways, is it better to try and scrape it off (a bunch will inevitably fall into the engine) or just leave it.

I'm guessing leave it since it's been like that for 60k miles with no adverse effects?

Opinions?
I saw this before . Mobile 1 0W-40 ?
      Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #4
dreamspeed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I saw this before . Mobile 1 0W-40 ?
Ive been using M1 0w40 for the last 40k miles or so but i don't believe that is the problem. This gunk hasn't gotten worse since I switched.

It has always been there since i bought the car with 18k miles and I assume the previous owner used Castrol 10w60 since it was under free BMW maintenance
      Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Ive been using M1 0w40 for the last 40k miles or so but i don't believe that is the problem. This gunk hasn't gotten worse since I switched.

It has always been there since i bought the car with 18k miles and I assume the previous owner used Castrol 10w60 since it was under free BMW maintenance
Long story in short..

Back in time I owned a 325 (Schnitzer) for + 15 years , the first 6-7 years it ran only with Castrol . Later I decided to run with Mobile 1 0W40 .
Guess what I saw under the oil cap with M1 ?
      Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #6
dreamspeed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:

Long story in short..

Back in time I owned a 325 (Schnitzer) for + 15 years , the first 6-7 years it ran only with Castrol . Later I decided to run with Mobile 1 0W40 .
Guess what I saw under the oil cap with M1 ?
Lol, to be honest I have never had a bad experience with any of the "reputable" oil brands I've used over the years.

Everything seems pretty much the same... maybe some ran a little quieter or smoother but hard to say for sure... the butt dyno is not very accurate.

I actually have three black stone oil analysis for the car over 40k miles and no mention of any issues...

No point in worrying I guess. Just drive the car and enjoy haha