BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #45
Longboarder
Brigadier General
66
Rep
3,814
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Great post!

Which makes me wonder if this VT1-550 could repeat that ~500whp after a handful of consecutive runs, the same way an ESS VT2 does. Or more importantly, if that ~500whp will be consistent when beaten on continuously on the track or drag strip.

I know people have posted threads in the past showing "heat soak" tests on the VT1-535. I just find it challenging to really believe that that 505whp 330wtq is realistic in this example, especially when EAS just dyno'd a VT2-580 with the same numbers.

I'm not trying to knock EAS or ESS, just trying to be realistic with the performance of the really great bang-for-your-buck VT1-550.
What's up flip! I think a good test for these non-intercooled kits would be to drive the snot out of one and then let it sit in the sun on a warm day like what happens on a track and then dyno without letting it cool down. That would conclusively demonstrate how much power, if any, is being reduced from these conditions. Probably won't happen though.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #46
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that the 550/540 kits are street dedicated kits and the bigger kits are for both street and track?
For street purposes consistency between pulls is not as important as the track. Real life situations rarely call for wot springs. Occasional one here and there
My thoughts exact.
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
1
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

[quote=Chriskm3;13552778]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
Have my VT1-550 scheduled for installation next
Give it a week of driving and let us know what u think. ESS said around 500 for the ecu adjustments but we found it that longer is better.
My friends who has the ESS kit first words were .. Wow wtf... M3 should come like this from the factory.
I am lucky in that a local guy who attends several of the same track events I did last year let me drive his car which has the older VT1 535 kit. The car ran pretty flawless all day at the track and I got a lot of feedback from him so im pretty confident the new 550 will exceed my expectations.

You and your buddy both are supercharged? Sounds like you guys get to have some fun when you go for drives
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #48
Chriskm3
Colonel
Chriskm3's Avatar
Canada
28
Rep
2,218
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

[quote=BuckRodgers;13565673]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post

I am lucky in that a local guy who attends several of the same track events I did last year let me drive his car which has the older VT1 535 kit. The car ran pretty flawless all day at the track and I got a lot of feedback from him so im pretty confident the new 550 will exceed my expectations.

You and your buddy both are supercharged? Sounds like you guys get to have some fun when you go for drives
yes and No. its hard to drive the m3 to its fullest on the streets.
my friend just sold his ess550 kit.
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #49
rjd598
Brigadier General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
4,646
Posts

 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
wow seriously the best bang for your buck right there. 550 kit is beast and added with some test pipes and you are almost at 600hp at the crank!!! that's ridiculous
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #50
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

Love my 550 kit especially with the added power of the test pipe. Great bang for the buck. I don't track my car, just street driven, I've also heard from others running the 535/550 kit that they have had no issues with the kit, Roman@ESS was one of them.
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #51
Evtron
Enlisted Member
Evtron's Avatar
1
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White e90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Wealth of information!

I'm on the fence with the VT1 and VT2. I live in the south and temperatures can play a factor. How much they play a factor is the real question though when it comes to heat soak! 585 kit is a good alternative but the 625 isn't that much more expensive - although then I'd be looking at changing out the rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #52
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
1
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
Wealth of information!

I'm on the fence with the VT1 and VT2. I live in the south and temperatures can play a factor. How much they play a factor is the real question though when it comes to heat soak! 585 kit is a good alternative but the 625 isn't that much more expensive - although then I'd be looking at changing out the rod bearings.
The only downside to heat soak on a properly tuned car running proper boost levels is that you will lose some power. This can happen with intercooled / non intercooled superchargers and also NA motors. Intercooled kits have charge cooling but they also generate more heat than non intercooled kits do as they run higher boost levels so a good portion of that cooling is just removing the added temps from the higher level of boost. Intercooled setups also restrict air flow to the factory cooling hardware to some degree so there are always things to consider depending on how you use the car. As far as reliability over time running lower boost is a much safer option for the motor IMO. I would choose going intercooled if i wanted the added power but I have never viewed it as a safer option than lower boost non-intercooled as it can actually be the opposite depending on design.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #53
esquire
Colonel
esquire's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
2,801
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
Wealth of information!

I'm on the fence with the VT1 and VT2. I live in the south and temperatures can play a factor. How much they play a factor is the real question though when it comes to heat soak! 585 kit is a good alternative but the 625 isn't that much more expensive - although then I'd be looking at changing out the rod bearings.
why change out the rod bearings? is your car an 08 or 09?
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #54
NikB316
Lieutenant
NikB316's Avatar
14
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somerset County, New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

Good value and they seem to be holding up quite well. I would personally go for a kit with an intercooler but obviously more $. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.
__________________

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #55
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
99
Rep
4,670
Posts

 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Dyno's are one thing...it's another to be out on a track pushing the limits, staging on a dragstrip or a runway in warm conditions waiting for your turn and having your engine bay heat up dramatically from just sitting around. That's when the 30-50HP delta turns into a 100+ HP delta. The VT2 is worth it unless you want to run a dedicated water/meth setup with a VT1.
Good post

As a 1m owner who tracks their car, trust me when I tell you heat management is critical for FI motors
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #56
Longboarder
Brigadier General
66
Rep
3,814
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Good post

As a 1m owner who tracks their car, trust me when I tell you heat management is critical for FI motors
Interesting that you got the 1M. I remember debating some things with you when you had an M3 and I had an n54 335i.

I also tracked my 335i. I ran 19psi on stock turbos but I never had heat issues on the track as I ran 50/50 water/meth. That stuff is phenominal at keeping both IATs and oil temperatures down the track. On my last track event on a 90+ degree day I went 15+ laps per session and by lap 8-9 I was passing 600 and 700 HP cars on the straights as they were heat soaking and I wasn't I'm sure the 1M is a bit better than the 335i on the track re cooling but I'd still recommend water/meth to anyone with a turbo car on the track.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #57
Jremmy
Medic
Jremmy's Avatar
3
Rep
222
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

damnit...haven't even installed my NA ESS tune yet, but now I'm jonesing for a VT-550 kit...lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #58
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
10,632
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremmy View Post
damnit...haven't even installed my NA ESS tune yet, but now I'm jonesing for a VT-550 kit...lol
How about we make that happen?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #59
Superfly_M3
Captain
18
Rep
964
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Good info. ESS 550 is a solid kit. Paired up with Akra Evo, the kit puts down over 500whp.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #60
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

This kit is insane and continues to impress me. I had mine out and hit 187MPH I know I could have done more but decided to slow down. Power delivery was smooth, consistent and kept pulling hard, after I came to a stop the car purred like it was only doing 35mph and temps were at normal range, I can't imagine what the VT2-625 and VT3 kits feel like if this kit runs this hard. Props to the ESS VT1 great bang for the buck. (187mph run done on closed road). I do agree that for the track one should go with an intercooled unit but for street and daily, this kit can't be beat.
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.


Last edited by lenzm3edan; 03-20-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #61
Alex07M3
Colonel
27
Rep
2,154
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
The only downside to heat soak on a properly tuned car running proper boost levels is that you will lose some power. This can happen with intercooled / non intercooled superchargers and also NA motors. Intercooled kits have charge cooling but they also generate more heat than non intercooled kits do as they run higher boost levels so a good portion of that cooling is just removing the added temps from the higher level of boost. Intercooled setups also restrict air flow to the factory cooling hardware to some degree so there are always things to consider depending on how you use the car. As far as reliability over time running lower boost is a much safer option for the motor IMO. I would choose going intercooled if i wanted the added power but I have never viewed it as a safer option than lower boost non-intercooled as it can actually be the opposite depending on design.
Exactly the way I see things! If I'm ever to upgrade my VT1-535 I'll go for the safest kit(cause my car's an 08) which is probably the VT2-585! But for now I'll wait and see if the test pipes I just ordered feel my need for speed!
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #62
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Exactly the way I see things! If I'm ever to upgrade my VT1-535 I'll go for the safest kit(cause my car's an 08) which is probably the VT2-585! But for now I'll wait and see if the test pipes I just ordered feel my need for speed!
Is there not alot of 08 out there running 600 and 625 kits with no issues? I am thinking of upgrading to the 625 kit at some point but don't want to have any issues, just not sure if upgrading to 585 kit adds any notable power vs the 550 kit. The only plus to the 585 I see is the added intercooler for track use but I don't track my vehicle.
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #63
Superfly_M3
Captain
18
Rep
964
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Intercooler blocks factory radiator ... something to keep in mind
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #64
Alex07M3
Colonel
27
Rep
2,154
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
Is there not alot of 08 out there running 600 and 625 kits with no issues? I am thinking of upgrading to the 625 kit at some point but don't want to have any issues, just not sure if upgrading to 585 kit adds any notable power vs the 550 kit. The only plus to the 585 I see is the added intercooler for track use but I don't track my vehicle.
When I ask ESS about the bearing issue before I bought the kit, they told me that I should'nt be worried if I go with the lower boost kits(535 and 575 at that time), I did'nt ask anymore questions. As for upgrading to the 585, in my case it would surely be notable since I'm already .5psi behind you as I'm running the VT1-535. So for me 50hp for 2500$ is all worthy but for now I think I'll be happy with the 30+hp I just bought for 400$!!
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #65
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
10,632
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Intercooler blocks factory radiator ... something to keep in mind
It is positioned in front of the factory oil cooler, but there is still sufficient airflow.

Those seeing extended track sessions can benefit from a larger oil cooler such as the M24 unit or the upcoming Oil Cooler from ESS.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #66
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
When I ask ESS about the bearing issue before I bought the kit, they told me that I should'nt be worried if I go with the lower boost kits(535 and 575 at that time), I did'nt ask anymore questions. As for upgrading to the 585, in my case it would surely be notable since I'm already .5psi behind you as I'm running the VT1-535. So for me 50hp for 2500$ is all worthy but for now I think I'll be happy with the 30+hp I just bought for 400$!!
True, the test pipes make a difference, I already had them on before my surpercharger install. I spoke to Roman earlier about upgrading to the 625 kit later down the road. Who said modding was easy, it's an addiction.
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
eas, ess, macht schnell, supercharger, vt1-550

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST