BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
StylePoints's Avatar
7
Rep
295
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ca

iTrader: (1)

Expert Help-Need technical assistance =(

Hi everyone,

I am looking for information on how I can pull information off my 08 M3. I was recently pulled over for reckless driving. Police report stated I was peeling out, fishtailing, and making all sorts of noise with my tires. The truth can not be further from that. I was actually coming out of a plaza with a huge dip which I had to angle my car at less than 3mph just so I won't rip my bumper off. I believe I was pulled over basically for my car. So now I am going to court to fight this.

So basically to do the things which the officer claimed I was doing, I would have to have traction control turned off. So I was wondering if my car keeps data or logs showing the last time it was turned off. And if so, how would I pull this type of data off my car? Or does it register burn outs, fishtails and stuff of that nature. I would love to prove that my traction control was not turned off on that date of arrest. If you know anything that can help my case or where to go to get this data off my car I would really appreciate it. I called BMW and they didn't know how to help me. I did call a local shop and they said something about "freeze frame"?? But my local bmw service adv. didn't know what that was.

Any inputs gladly welcomed thnx!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
cooler2442
Brigadier General
72
Rep
3,818
Posts

 
Drives: '11 135 Sport DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Valley, Los Angeles

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to cooler2442 Send a message via Skype™ to cooler2442
Your car won't have any of this kind of information that you can pull. I'm sure BMW has it stored somewhere deeply in the DME for warranty concerns but no way they'll ever give it to you.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
StylePoints
Second Lieutenant
StylePoints's Avatar
7
Rep
295
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ca

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Your car won't have any of this kind of information that you can pull. I'm sure BMW has it stored somewhere deeply in the DME for warranty concerns but no way they'll ever give it to you.
Are there any shops that would be able to pull this information from the DME?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

My suggestion is you get a lawyer. There is a looming shitstorm as the Internet's droves of wannabe-lawyers will start posting legal advice in here.

Also, please change your thread title to something more useful, or no one else will ever be able to find it when they have a similar question.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
paddy335
Major
10
Rep
1,014
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Touring; X5 40d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Flight Data Recorder
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
cooler2442
Brigadier General
72
Rep
3,818
Posts

 
Drives: '11 135 Sport DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Valley, Los Angeles

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to cooler2442 Send a message via Skype™ to cooler2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylePoints View Post
Are there any shops that would be able to pull this information from the DME?
Regular shops won't be able to do it. Your best bet may be Mike Benvo or another vendor that does alot of tuning for the M3.

The DME may not even store the kind of information you're after either, so it would be taking a chance. Also if you present something like this to the judge, the officer can still claim you could have falsified the data or deleted what you didn't like.

Honestly, just go get a lawyer and have him fight it for you. Your best bet at winning.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
JAM3S
Lieutenant
JAM3S's Avatar
6
Rep
599
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (1)

Wannabee internet lawyer checking in.....

Best bet is to take it to court and keep asking for a continuation of the case and hope the cop doesnt show up. With his "sworn testimony" you are pretty much screwed since they will take his word over yours even if he is being dishonest. Depending on your previous driving record you should be able to get it knocked down to a lesser charge though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
peeti
Second Lieutenant
peeti's Avatar
3
Rep
232
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (1)

Second on hitting up Benvo - from memory though, the event recorder is tied to the airbag deployment and not part of DME at all... it's pulled only in the case of insurance cases and even then under court order. There has been a bunch of noise about this in the last few years as people are afraid it will be used against them.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
411
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylePoints View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking for information on how I can pull information off my 08 M3. I was recently pulled over for reckless driving. Police report stated I was peeling out, fishtailing, and making all sorts of noise with my tires. The truth can not be further from that. I was actually coming out of a plaza with a huge dip which I had to angle my car at less than 3mph just so I won't rip my bumper off. I believe I was pulled over basically for my car. So now I am going to court to fight this.

So basically to do the things which the officer claimed I was doing, I would have to have traction control turned off. So I was wondering if my car keeps data or logs showing the last time it was turned off. And if so, how would I pull this type of data off my car? Or does it register burn outs, fishtails and stuff of that nature. I would love to prove that my traction control was not turned off on that date of arrest. If you know anything that can help my case or where to go to get this data off my car I would really appreciate it. I called BMW and they didn't know how to help me. I did call a local shop and they said something about "freeze frame"?? But my local bmw service adv. didn't know what that was.

Any inputs gladly welcomed thnx!
This is what you should use for your search:
BMW event data recorder

The device is explained in the article below and the 2013 list link also.

You will not be able to get data to support you case. The EDR records while you are driving and stores a short data collection before air bag deployment and a short data recording after.

You would have to have the air bags pop when he wrote your ticket or not drive your vehicle after. Then a BMW specialist would be able to extract the specific information for the accident event, which would not have the information you are requesting (settings, spinning tires). Since you have driven the vehicle the data has been erased and fresh data stored. Your 2008 model and mine is not on the list. Thanks I learned something today.

The term freeze frame is used for OBD II codes and data from the DME. When an engine code is set there is a small collection of data stored a single “snapshot” of engine data related to emissions.

Road and Track article:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...data-recorders


2013 list of vehicles supported:
http://www.rimkus.com/uploads/pdfs/E...a_Recorder.pdf
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST