BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
MrStinky
Banned
1
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

jinxed myself!!! 75001 mile problems

Well sure enough after I posted that I hit 75k with no problem I see an oil leak a week later! Too k it in Monday and leaks galore! Timing chain cover gasket, motor mount leak, dct oil pan leak and mechatronics module cover gasket leak.

Basically nothing internal but 4 leaks! Have extreme hot weather where I live which may be why.
.
They replaced both motor mounts which is 2k worth of repairs. Tranny pan and mechatronics gasket another 1500 and timing chain cover another 900 due to having to lift engine.

Oh shoot and forget a//c refrigerant valve leak. Another 600.

So very happy I got BME extended as these non internal simple gasket leaks almost cost 4k! Can't imagine any internal repair.

One thing is my dealer had no issue changing dct fluid for me even before they found a leak so worth asking as some will do it. Ended up draining and flushing tranny which is more than you can do if you drain and fill yourself.

So fresh motor mounts, fresh tranny flush and gaskets and should be good to go! Waiting on water pump going but such is life.

I definetly recommend warranty from BMW if your original owner. No fuss, its done just like original factory warranty!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
The Nash
Banned
1
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: 2010 M3; 2006 325xi
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

We spoke about this, did we not?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
483
Rep
6,621
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

$2000 for motor mounts? Come on now...
__________________
Current: 2008 BMW M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. 1999 BMW M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. On the list: BMW M2 Long Beach Blue/Black/6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
The Nash
Banned
1
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: 2010 M3; 2006 325xi
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

The more I read of MrStinky the more I am convinced he's a clever troll. One day he's riding high no issues, 1 mile later he's got what is tantamount to catastrophic failure of every system in the car.

Gimme a break

He goes out of his way create threads that quote so much propaganda, that it paints everything he says as incredulous.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
tinman831
Captain
10
Rep
814
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStinky View Post
Well sure enough after I posted that I hit 75k with no problem I see an oil leak a week later! Too k it in Monday and leaks galore! Timing chain cover gasket, motor mount leak, dct oil pan leak and mechatronics module cover gasket leak.

Basically nothing internal but 4 leaks! Have extreme hot weather where I live which may be why.
.
They replaced both motor mounts which is 2k worth of repairs. Tranny pan and mechatronics gasket another 1500 and timing chain cover another 900 due to having to lift engine.

Oh shoot and forget a//c refrigerant valve leak. Another 600.

So very happy I got BME extended as these non internal simple gasket leaks almost cost 4k! Can't imagine any internal repair.

One thing is my dealer had no issue changing dct fluid for me even before they found a leak so worth asking as some will do it. Ended up draining and flushing tranny which is more than you can do if you drain and fill yourself.

So fresh motor mounts, fresh tranny flush and gaskets and should be good to go! Waiting on water pump going but such is life.

I definetly recommend warranty from BMW if your original owner. No fuss, its done just like original factory warranty!
Motor mount leak eh?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 7|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
291
Rep
14,363
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
Motor mount leak eh?
yeah thats a bad one. hear the new ones are filled with stem cells not just hydraulic so they can regenerate partially if damaged.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 02-27-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
The Nash
Banned
1
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: 2010 M3; 2006 325xi
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
yeah thats a bad one. here the new ones are filled with stem cells not just hydraulic so they can regenerate partially if damaged.
Infant approved

Name:  A.bmp
Views: 671
Size:  69.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
MrStinky
Banned
1
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

I didn't think motor mounts had fluid but dealer said they actually have hydraulic fluid. Motor mounts are 500 each plus labor to pull engine. Plus tax. It was covered. It was what was documented on my sheet.

I thought motor mounts were just solid pieces. I thought the same thing at first.

A clever troll? Lol Id call it a lane troll if I were posting this to troll. None if this was major stuff but my point was it adds up
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
MrStinky
Banned
1
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Have s look for yourself. They are filled with hydraulic fluid

Its a 5-6 hour job to do both. Gotta take off a ton of parts. My point is people think of warranties as not paying off unless a big failure happens but something simple like a motor mount is huge expense because of labour and fact you need to replace both.

Same with a/c work, parts aren't bad but you have to rip out front dash to get to it and that's costly.

If nobody wants to believe motor mounts are expensive than I guess you may or may not find out!

Last edited by MrStinky; 02-28-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
V8FunNaturally
Banned
25
Rep
1,017
Posts

Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

Could you tell which Bmw extended insurance option you bought without using acronyms (BME) ? Is it platinum or gold, how many miles/years, cost ?

Do those extd insurrance cost follows inflation ? As a 2013 owner i am wondering if it would make sense to get it now rather than wait until 4yrs/50k as it may cost more then.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
tinman831
Captain
10
Rep
814
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStinky View Post
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Have s look for yourself. They are filled with hydraulic fluid

Its a 5-6 hour job to do both. Gotta take off a ton of parts. My point is people think of warranties as not paying off unless a big failure happens but something simple like a motor mount is huge expense because of labour and fact you need to replace both.

Same with a/c work, parts aren't bad but you have to rip out front dash to get to it and that's costly.

If nobody wants to believe motor mounts are expensive than I guess you may or may not find out!
When you're paying bmw prices, of course everything is expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Wah
Red Hot Riplet
Wah's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
2,758
Posts

Drives: '15 F82 M4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

I'm debating on powertrain warranty or the full monty platinum. Is this kind of stuff considered part of the powertrain?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
tinman831
Captain
10
Rep
814
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
ding ding. but motor mount replacment isnt cheap.
It's $150 on ECS for 2 motor mounts. DIY and you save a ton of money. If you have a warranty, who cares? Let BMW deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
0
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: RS5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: CH

iTrader: (0)

Why would you replace engine mounts if you have an oil leak?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #15
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
3,238
Posts

Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStinky View Post
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Have s look for yourself. They are filled with hydraulic fluid

Its a 5-6 hour job to do both. Gotta take off a ton of parts. My point is people think of warranties as not paying off unless a big failure happens but something simple like a motor mount is huge expense because of labour and fact you need to replace both.

Same with a/c work, parts aren't bad but you have to rip out front dash to get to it and that's costly.

If nobody wants to believe motor mounts are expensive than I guess you may or may not find out!
These aren't M mounts, M mounts are solid units.
__________________
02 E39M5 | TiAg/Schwartz | Tubi Rumore | Ultimate Ti Pedals | Autosolutions SSK
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
43
Rep
1,413
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

longwong
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
483
Rep
6,621
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStinky View Post
I didn't think motor mounts had fluid but dealer said they actually have hydraulic fluid. Motor mounts are 500 each plus labor to pull engine. Plus tax. It was covered. It was what was documented on my sheet.

I thought motor mounts were just solid pieces. I thought the same thing at first.

A clever troll? Lol Id call it a lane troll if I were posting this to troll. None if this was major stuff but my point was it adds up
Yes Longwong, you are a troll. Just looked up motor mounts for M3. $60 from Turner. Let's say they double the price, so $240 for a pair. That leaves you $1760. Let's be ridiculous and say dealership charge $200 an hour. It takes them almost 9 hours to change 2 motor mounts? No.

And if you have to ask, I've had mine changed too, didn't take 9 hours.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=725557&page=8
__________________
Current: 2008 BMW M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. 1999 BMW M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. On the list: BMW M2 Long Beach Blue/Black/6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
483
Rep
6,621
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
These aren't M mounts, M mounts are solid units.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...or-mounts.aspx
__________________
Current: 2008 BMW M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. 1999 BMW M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. On the list: BMW M2 Long Beach Blue/Black/6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
5,091
Posts


Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.50]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
The stock mounts are fluid filled and prone to failure. I opted for the vibra technics mounts which were under 500 for both if I recall correctly. Definitely feel a difference with them.

No way stock mounts are remotely near that price, and you don't have to pull the engine to replace them.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #20
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
3,238
Posts

Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Oh shit, holding them, you'd never know. I am corrected. Vibra technics look like a better option then, wow. Thanks, W.
__________________
02 E39M5 | TiAg/Schwartz | Tubi Rumore | Ultimate Ti Pedals | Autosolutions SSK
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #21
serg87
Private First Class
3
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Verdict has been reached.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #22
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
483
Rep
6,621
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Oh shit, holding them, you'd never know. I am corrected. Vibra technics look like a better option then, wow. Thanks, W.
No problem. At least we made good use of this thread haha.

FYI, I replaced OEM with OEM. If you look at my build thread that I linked, that's what mine looked like at 78k miles. They were cracked but weren't leaking fluid yet (don't know how long I have left on them). But I didn't mind other guys try different options, then I can decide at 160k miles.

Btw, I couldn't move the old mounts when I was playing around with them.
__________________
Current: 2008 BMW M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. 1999 BMW M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. On the list: BMW M2 Long Beach Blue/Black/6MT
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST