BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
 
BimmFiniti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Options to fix small tear in center console / discrete replacement?

I spent the last hour searching in this forum, the DIY section and various cosmetic sections with no luck. I hope someone can help.

I have a small tear in my center console that I'd like to fix or, perhaps, even replace the whole unit (E90, 6MT, no iDrive). The rest of the interior of the car looks great, but the center console looks a bit beat up and the tear (only about 1/16" square) bugs me.

Has anyone been able to do a cosmetic improvement to the stock black center console area? Any experience with fixing / filling minor holes or tears? Alternatively, does anyone have a good experience with replacing a center console? I don't think I'd want a glossy carbon fiber one (IND or AutoTecknic) - it just wouldn't match the rest of the car. Are there other options out there? How bad is replacing the console with a stock one?

Any help would be appreciated. Thx,

BimmFiniti
__________________
2006 Cayman S
2010 E90 M3
BimmFiniti is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,721
iTrader: (6)

If it's just the top finisher/shifter surround, it's an easy swap. Just buy a new one and replace it.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Dkhan23
Banned
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada/USA

Posts: 360
iTrader: (0)

Pictures?
Dkhan23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
M3Now!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 E93, Jerez Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
If it's just the top finisher/shifter surround, it's an easy swap. Just buy a new one and replace it.
He probably can't buy a new one; when mine was replaced by insurance, the dealer ordered an entire new center console

I would check a salvage yard (or whatever the high-end BMW version of that is ) and see if you can find just the console.

Cheers
__________________


2009 E93 M3 - it's, um, pretty fun
M3Now! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,721
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now! View Post
He probably can't buy a new one; when mine was replaced by insurance, the dealer ordered an entire new center console

I would check a salvage yard (or whatever the high-end BMW version of that is ) and see if you can find just the console.

Cheers
Dealer replaced mine no problem (the top first and later the console). They come as separate parts, 100% sure on that.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

I have a 2008 6MT console for sale, if you're interested. The only new piece you need to source is the 2008 empty cubby hole (likely $15?) piece since I had the navigation controller. I'm not 100% sure how this piece will fit with the console that already came with the CCC controller, you may be able to use your old one. check with realoem.com

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733199

Additionally, you should also seek to sell your damaged console. The 2010 empty cubby hole is the CIC shape, which is going to be attractive to someone who wants it for a retrofit.

Finally, here's the DIY to swap out the console, it's super easy.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277690

you'll need a cubby to fit #6 below if you decide to buy my piece, good luck either way:


Last edited by mdosu; 03-04-2013 at 08:39 PM.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now! View Post

I would check a salvage yard (or whatever the high-end BMW version of that is ) and see if you can find just the console.

Cheers
really tough to find one. A new one costs around $300, you might be able to find a few 2009+ console for sale on this site, but they get snatched up fast for CIC retrofit kits.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
 
BimmFiniti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
If it's just the top finisher/shifter surround, it's an easy swap. Just buy a new one and replace it.
Ya, it's just the top surround. I'll get a picture of it.

What's involved in replacing it? I took a search through DIY on the center console and was pretty freaked out at the amount of cabling that seemed to be connected to the center console.
__________________
2006 Cayman S
2010 E90 M3
BimmFiniti is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmFiniti View Post
Ya, it's just the top surround. I'll get a picture of it.

What's involved in replacing it? I took a search through DIY on the center console and was pretty freaked out at the amount of cabling that seemed to be connected to the center console.
if you can unplug and plug cables, then you'll be fine...

3 plugs:

1. ashtray
2. button tray (power, edc, dsc)
3. idrive (N/A for you)
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
 
BimmFiniti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23 View Post
Pictures?
Here's a picture of the tear in the console.
Name:  M3_CenterConsoleTear.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  91.8 KB

Looking at the console, and the small cubby, I wonder if these were taken out of an older car and put in mine? I didn't buy the car new - I've owned it for a year. The rest of the car is immaculate, but the condition of the center console just doesn't "fit". Do others' consoles get beat up more than the rest of the car?
__________________
2006 Cayman S
2010 E90 M3
BimmFiniti is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
 
BimmFiniti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I have a 2008 6MT console for sale, if you're interested. The only new piece you need to source is the 2008 empty cubby hole (likely $15?) piece since I had the navigation controller. I'm not 100% sure how this piece will fit with the console that already came with the CCC controller, you may be able to use your old one. check with realoem.com

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733199
Thanks, but I don't think this will work. Yours is from an iDrive-equipped car and I'm pretty sure it's a different console than one without iDrive.

Quote:
Additionally, you should also seek to sell your damaged console. The 2010 empty cubby hole is the CIC shape, which is going to be attractive to someone who wants it for a retrofit.
I will definitely do that if I replace the console. What the heck is "CIC shape", BTW?

Quote:
Finally, here's the DIY to swap out the console, it's super easy.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277690

you'll need a cubby to fit #6 below if you decide to buy my piece, good luck either way:

Thanks - appreciate it! I think I should replace the cubby, too. It's kinda' beat up, too (don't understand why, but it is).
__________________
2006 Cayman S
2010 E90 M3
BimmFiniti is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
 
BimmFiniti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
if you can unplug and plug cables, then you'll be fine...

3 plugs:

1. ashtray
2. button tray (power, edc, dsc)
3. idrive (N/A for you)
Cool! That doesn't sound tough at all! Guess I need to do a bit more "DIY-surfing"!
__________________
2006 Cayman S
2010 E90 M3
BimmFiniti is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
 
BimmFiniti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Dealer replaced mine no problem (the top first and later the console). They come as separate parts, 100% sure on that.
How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to replace the center console and cubby and wonder how much it would be if I don't DIY.
__________________
2006 Cayman S
2010 E90 M3
BimmFiniti is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

good luck
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
JonM
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 168
iTrader: (4)

My wife had clear bra and tint put into her MZ4 Coupe recently. The installer put 4 deep scratches into the driver's seat bolster. More serious and larger than your defect.

Long story short, he would not own up to it and he would not address a fix.

I bought and had excellent luck with this kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30ml-BMW-lea...f2b7e4&vxp=mtr



Her interior is Light Sepang Bronze (very tough to match) and the match is outstanding. I know a thing or two about leather and I am a tough customer. You should try one of the LederTechnik kits first, before you seek replacement.

If you get a kit and need help with how to use it (all instructions are German), PM me when you get it.
__________________
Jon Maddux
14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
JonM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,721
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmFiniti View Post
How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to replace the center console and cubby and wonder how much it would be if I don't DIY.
Mine was replaced under warranty. The dealership was stupid and replaced the ENTIRE console with a new extended leather one (nice for me!) and then put the crappy top piece with peeling leather back on! Then I went back and made them replace the top piece (the original reason I came in!).

It's not hard to replace. It pops off and then you unplug the plugs.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #17
kavvmxuh
New Member
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: good

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Just buy a new one and replace it.
__________________
kavvmxuh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
BimmFiniti
Private First Class
 
BimmFiniti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WA

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My wife had clear bra and tint put into her MZ4 Coupe recently. The installer put 4 deep scratches into the driver's seat bolster. More serious and larger than your defect.

Long story short, he would not own up to it and he would not address a fix.

I bought and had excellent luck with this kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30ml-BMW-lea...f2b7e4&vxp=mtr



Her interior is Light Sepang Bronze (very tough to match) and the match is outstanding. I know a thing or two about leather and I am a tough customer. You should try one of the LederTechnik kits first, before you seek replacement.

If you get a kit and need help with how to use it (all instructions are German), PM me when you get it.
Thanks. I'll have to look around on eBay to find the right kit. Appreciate the help - it's such a small defect that it does seem it could be fixed.
__________________
2006 Cayman S
2010 E90 M3
BimmFiniti is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST