BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Vorsteiner

08-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #23
Just_me
Captain
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
Maybe because it's a coherent design that doesn't have the afterthought of where to place the screen? Maybe because it's angled towards the driver?
or maybe people still live in the past?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #24
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Exactly. I stated yesterday that I did not think that the non-adjustable damper equipped cars would be any less aggressive than an EDC equipped car set to "Sport". It seems maybe my hunch was correct, assuming this article is correct.
Yeah, it feels good to be right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I'm not sure 'bout the EDC. In my opinion it's not a performance feature, it's a comfort feature! Can anybody confirm or refute this?
Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #25
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
or maybe people still live in the past?
I'd rather live in the past with something I like to look at rather than buy something because it's supposedly progress.
      08-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #26
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350

Garage List
Steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
I agree. The steering wheel on the M3 is overly thick.
It looks just like the E46 M3 wheel to me (which I love)--is it fatter?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #27
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ho hum

A farily mediocre review IMO. Not very inspired writing. Multiple errors in fact.

I know 0-60 is not the most important spec and furthermore we will see a lot of variations in mag numbers for 0-60, but 4.7 when we have already seen 4.4 on a slippery road. The weight spec is interesting, could it be the car is actually lighter than claimed by BMW? Nice to see some "official" confirmation that it is faster than the 997S (and I don't mean "S" for plural!). Will it best the 9997S on the ring as well? Need to carefully compare the detailed acceleration and braking figures to some other cars but no time right now (takers?)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #28
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I cant understand all the praise E46 interior is getting. It was good once but today it doesnt look fresh anymore, outdated and old. E92 looks more modern IMO.
Yes, it does look dated. I agree.
      08-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #29
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
It looks just like the E46 M3 wheel to me (which I love)--is it fatter?
It's a completely different design of three spoke wheel. The boss sits proud on the E92 wheel, whereas it is a flush circle on the E46 and flanked by a separated bracket which forms the lower spoke.
      08-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #30
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
I cant understand all the praise E46 interior is getting. It was good once but today it doesnt look fresh anymore, outdated and old. E92 looks more modern IMO.
It might look outdated, but that's not the point. The point is, from a design perspective, the E46 is far superior--its intent is clear and the features are coherent. I wouldn't want the same interior in the E92. I want a new and well designed interior instead. That, BMW has failed at big time. As another poster was saying a few weeks back, the interior reminds one of a boat rather than a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #31
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
As another poster was saying a few weeks back, the interior reminds one of a boat rather than a sports car.
The interior on most new BMW's look like that. It's not specific to the M3 or the 3-series.
      08-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #32
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
It might look outdated, but that's not the point. The point is, from a design perspective, the E46 is far superior--its intent is clear and the features are coherent. I wouldn't want the same interior in the E92. I want a new and well designed interior instead. That, BMW has failed at big time. As another poster was saying a few weeks back, the interior reminds one of a boat rather than a sports car.
+1 on the interior.

It also seems a little Honda Civic-ish/Japanese-ish in design IMO. At least the new M gets full leather and some great trims. Still, I think most people would prefer to see a return to something more like the E46 interior design.

As Epacy said, the 3's,5's and 7's all have the same interior design and it just is not my fav- but it is all across the board for BMW and we can only hope their next-gen vehicles are different.

I like the E46 M3 exterior and I like the E92 "M" as well- to me they're just different IMO. One's a little more butch in design while the other is a little more athletic and lean.....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

I am always interested in hearing comments about interiors. I find myself remarkably insensitive to differences in car interiors, so I can't really tell which one is bad and which one is good. If someone swapped my M3 interior with the wife's 335i, it would probably take me a few days of driving to even notice. Obviously I exaggerate. But really, as long as it has the proper buttons (the fewer the better) I'm good.

Ironically, I am just the opposite with my domicile - spend painstaken hours picking out furniture, paint, furnishings. Go figure.
      08-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #34
mullrat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

To me the most surprising stat is the wet track time. Which is only 4 sec slower in an m3. That's kinda close... equal hp and equal weight but RS4 has quattro which should give it a dominating advantage over a rear wheel drive car in the wet. only 4 sec though which is prob statistically insignificant. when typical lap time is about a minute and change.
      08-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #35
mullrat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

IMO The style of an interior is too subjective of a subject to discuss. Fit and finish is what concerns me. Nothing worse than a cheap interior. As far as style? BMW's are drivers cars. As long as it helps me drive I'm good.

Last edited by mullrat; 08-29-2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: I was too vague
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #36
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullrat View Post
To me the most surprising stat is the wet track time. Which is only 4 sec slower in an m3. That's kinda close... equal hp and equal weight but RS4 has quattro which should give it a dominating advantage over a rear wheel drive car in the wet. only 4 sec though which is prob statistically insignificant. when typical lap time is about a minute and change.
To me it looks more like a larger autocross circuit rather than a race track. Four seconds is a pretty big gap in that context. Look at it this way: 4 seconds is significant on the 'ring; on a much shorter track it is even more significant.

EDIT: Looking at the times, it is strange that the RS4 has a significantly faster time on the so-called "wet" track than it does on the "dry" track (which according to the article had some standing water so was not really dry at all).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #37
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullrat View Post
IMO The style of an interior is too subjective of a subject to discuss. Fit and finish is what concerns me. Nothing worse than a cheap interior. As far as style? BMW's are drivers cars. As long as it helps me drive I'm good.
True. BMW's are drivers cars first but, likewise, they also need to be aesthetically appealing - especially for the amount of money that they cost - it's the total package that's important. And regarding style appeal (inside and out), I'm sorry to say that the new M3 appears to be coming up short. I say this begrudgingly as a very disappointed bimmer enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #38
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
Looking at the times, it is strange that the RS4 has a significantly faster time on the so-called "wet" track than it does on the "dry" track (which according to the article had some standing water so was not really dry at all).
The way I read it, I think they are two entirely different tracks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #39
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
The way I read it, I think they are two entirely different tracks.
You are correct. How did I miss that?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #40
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Damn, that variable scale on the speedo has to be one of the most annoying things BMW has invented... And it seems to look even worse in Imperial units.
Why?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #41
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

I've been a critic of the new BMW interior "language" since the 7 Series debuted in MY2002. I just can't stand the flat dash with that slab of trim, the double hump and the elimination of the driver's slanted console, I just can't.

When the 5 Series debuted in MY2004 I remember being in the dealership and comparing side to side an E39 interior with the then-new E60. Layout and materials were simply absurd compared to the E39. I do understand that there are new interior finishing processes that discarded the "old" way of simply covering the dash and plastic trim in doors and center consoles with padded vinyl and now there are robots spraying plastic pellets into interior surfaces to get that texture finish. But for me it seems that this new trim and dash surfaces look and feel cheap compared with the vinyl process... perhaps because it is in fact a cheaper new process to begin with.

BMW seems to me that realized that on time, because in the MY2006 E90 the plastics were much better, and they even "upgraded" the interior of the 7 Series also with better materials ("better" process, perhaps?). The X3 and the new X5 also have much better interior materials than before. So I don't think that in the new M3 the materials are going to be as bad as before, actually it will have a little more leather standard (middle console is wrapped in leather) than the E46 M3's.

With all that said, the "flat camel looking straight" layout is just killing what used to be the BMW perfect package IMO: a cockpit interior as great as the exterior as great as the drive. Unfortunately for me, the new M3 also have this interior...

Which is ironic when in the new 135i the interior looks more BMWish than any other BMW now, with a cockpit layout, the driver's slant of the middle console and no double hump when iDrive is present. To make matters worse, Cinnamon looks to be eliminated as an option for leather as well as no LSB or Kiwi, replaced by some Tan/Sand color that is so blah-blah lame (at least in the photos published) IMO compared with even the Lemon color leather offered in the regular 3 Series. At least in the E46 you could have an M3 interior in the USA that could be mistaken for an Individual at least in color, without paying Individual prices for the option.

Hope that BMWNA can come up with some USA leather colors that are really M3ish, or at least offers Individual right from the get go...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #42
Romo
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M, HP4 Comp, Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Damn, that variable scale on the speedo has to be one of the most annoying things BMW has invented... And it seems to look even worse in Imperial units.
Why?

+1, it is just a bloody shame, really awfull
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 03:55 PM   #43
Just_me
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
I'd rather live in the past with something I like to look at rather than buy something because it's supposedly progress.
design is very subjective and continue arguing this is pointless. I like it, you don't. You win some customers and you lose some.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #44
Just_me
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It might look outdated, but that's not the point. The point is, from a design perspective, the E46 is far superior-
is that a fact. You decide , others listen?. Design is personal thing, in case you dont know that
Appreciate 0