BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #45
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Agreed, but with a simple brake upgrade, find the M to be faster around the track... Have only had one cayman pass me and it was this one. He had to let up as his brakes faded too trying to catch me and was pretty sure his were upgraded

I believe the Porsche driver also doesn't understand the concept of an apex.
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #46
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,595
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Does anyone know how easy or hard it is to increase horsepower in a porsche from 325hp to 400hp? What are we talking about here? Adding another $15-20k? 325hp is just a tad short of where I would like it to be. But as I said earlier, I would love to have one and would have bought one if it were out just a couple months ago.
You don't need 400hp IMO for this car. Remember, it weighs only 2900-3000 lbs, and is mid-engine so it has very little drive line power loss. More power also means bigger tires, brakes, and a heavier car structurally. I really think the Cayman S is one of the finest sports cars on the planet in terms of its overall execution. I seriously looked at one, but needed the utility of the M3 as well as the added comfort on long trips. And as we all know....there is just something special about that V8 !!
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #47
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,240
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Agreed, but with a simple brake upgrade, find the M to be faster around the track... Have only had one cayman pass me and it was this one. He had to let up as his brakes faded too trying to catch me and was pretty sure his were upgraded

I believe the Porsche driver also doesn't understand the concept of an apex.
I believe you don't know the track... And he only really missed one, and that's because his brakes faded, at the end of the long straight. Just saying, cayman's aren't the dominating force at the track, 911's are, and really only the GT variants...
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #48
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,601
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
You don't need 400hp IMO for this car. Remember, it weighs only 2900-3000 lbs, and is mid-engine so it has very little drive line power loss. More power also means bigger tires, brakes, and a heavier car structurally. I really think the Cayman S is one of the finest sports cars on the planet in terms of its overall execution. I seriously looked at one, but needed the utility of the M3 as well as the added comfort on long trips. And as we all know....there is just something special about that V8 !!
Yes sir, there certainly is. V8 magic, it's hard to explain.

I even debate on getting a VT-1 550 kit, just because I don't want to interfere with how balanced this car is in every situation I put it in.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #49
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I believe you don't know the track... And he only really missed one, and that's because his brakes faded, at the end of the long straight. Just saying, cayman's aren't the dominating force at the track, 911's are, and really only the GT variants...
He missed one two turns after he passed you, unless it's a really late apex and you were early, but that's not how it looked to me. Then he really missed one later after the brakes went. But I don't know the track, as you state correctly.
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #50
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,383
iTrader: (5)

ive oly had one cayman pass me as well and it was last week when the bullet racing cayman just fresh from 24hrs of daytona got me.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #51
E90ab335i
Private
 
Drives: 2007 Silver E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange County

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Pick up a cayman S and don't look back. A whole different world as far as driving experience. I'm getting the biggest dick over the 981 S....
E90ab335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #52
David 12
Captain
 
David 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 BSM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Omaha

Posts: 911
iTrader: (0)

As you all know, driver skill is the most important variable at the track. Although, it is hard to make up 100+ horsepower (a stock Cayman S vs a modified M3).

The Cayman can make even an average driver look good, especially a PDK car and it is a great car for a beginner at a tight track.


Former car: 2007 335i. JB3




Dave
David 12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #53
ranger22
Private First Class
 
ranger22's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
ive oly had one cayman pass me as well and it was last week when the bullet racing cayman just fresh from 24hrs of daytona got me.
We should track some time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
The Cayman can make even an average driver look good, especially a PDK car and it is a great car for a beginner at a tight track.
I think the M3 is better at making someone look like a better driver.
ranger22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #54
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Driving Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 233
iTrader: (0)

Save up for the GT3. You won't regret the car. The car is nearly perfect for street and the track.

No limp mode, no fading brakes, and it already has a good and capable suspension. All you have to do is flush the brake fluid and get a good alignment. If you find one with the GT2 sport buckets seats just add a 4 point rollbar and add some harnesses.
skxf430 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #55
ranger22
Private First Class
 
ranger22's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skxf430 View Post
Save up for the GT3. You won't regret the car. The car is nearly perfect for street and the track.

No limp mode, no fading brakes, and it already has a good and capable suspension. All you have to do is flush the brake fluid and get a good alignment. If you find one with the GT2 sport buckets seats just add a 4 point rollbar and add some harnesses.
Upgrade the LSD and go for a track worthy alignment. Porsche LSDs are weak sauce, unless you're talking cup car.
ranger22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST