BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source

02-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Chriskm3
Colonel

Drives: M3

BOV instead of BPV

Quick question to the sc community.
Is there a way to upgrade the by pass valve on the ESS /VF sc kits to a blow off valve without a problematic outcome?
I am intrigued by the way AA supercharger kits sound with the three BOV setup.
Andrew please provide your input along with roman and Robert . Thanks guys
Is there a specific reason why aa kit implements 3 BOVs in their setup or is it strictly cosmentic.

here are the videos:
vf bpv vented to air

Tial BOV

I found this aswell so i figured all post it as well
ESS supercharger with a BOV
Attached Images

Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher

Last edited by Chriskm3; 03-01-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
      02-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
dvpouldar26
Major

Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

I have personally seen an ESS Kit with it's BRV vented to atmosphere and several VF kits with a Tial BOV fitted on. As far as hardware goes, i'm sure it's doable, however I am not sure if changes have been made to the software to compensate for those changes.

Here's a few photos of the VF kit fitted with a TIAL BOV.

To answer your question, please refer to this past post. EAS has given a more definitive answer on venting to atmosphere rather than recirculating.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=16
Attached Images

Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip

Last edited by dvpouldar26; 02-18-2013 at 03:30 AM.
      02-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

Not sure if they have a vendor account to personally comment, but the Gintani kits uses a Tial BOV as well.
      02-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Since the metering of air for fuel occurs after the blow off or bypass valve, either kind of valve may be used. It does not matter which. It is only with air mass meters that a bypass valve must be used so that air for which fuel has been metered is not discharged, resulting in a richer than expected mixture.
      02-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Since the metering of air for fuel occurs after the blow off or bypass valve, either kind of valve may be used. It does not matter which. It is only with air mass meters that a bypass valve must be used so that air for which fuel has been metered is not discharged, resulting in a richer than expected mixture.
+1
      02-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep

Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.28]
2013 f10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Is there a way to upgrade the by pass valve on the ESS /VF sc kits to a blow off valve without a problematic outcome?
Is there a specific reason why aa kit implements 3 BOVs in their setup or is it strictly cosmentic.
VAC had a BOV i believe at Mpact i would talk to them honestly.

F10 M5 : 11.5 125 with a 2.1 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
akh23456 is offline   United_States
      02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Roman@ESS

Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3

Simple to do you can just install one and cap the intake where we feed our bypass back into the intake, just make sure it is adjusted correctly. Personally BOV with a SC sounds awful but for those that think it sounds good it can be done.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram esstuning
      02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
tom @ eas

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Don't recommend it on a DCT car. Did a trip back from Vegas from a track event with the Tial installed and it sounded like it was having an asthma attack the entire way back.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
      02-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
NFAM3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Don't recommend it on a DCT car. Did a trip back from Vegas from a track event with the Tial installed and it sounded like it was having an asthma attack the entire way back.
LoL. That's awesome.
      02-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
M3sicko
Captain

Drives: 10' E92 M3 6MT to 13' E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I have to say this time 6mt FTW!
M3sicko is offline   United_States
      02-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant

Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sicko
Quote:
I have to say this time 6mt FTW!
^ This! My car has no asthma issues on freeway.

Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
      02-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
There is a reason we have added a 3rd Bov to our system and it is to eliminate the jerky on/off throttling issue many supercharger customers seem to complain about. The Third Bov is actually located behind the bumper and invisible when everything is buttoned up. The results are a oem-silky smooth driving experience for all of our customers. If you get a chance to drive one let us know what you think.

3rd Bov located on the intercooler Piping (see bottom left)

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 02-19-2013 at 11:27 AM.
      02-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Chriskm3
Colonel

Thank you guys for your input. Another question , does the BPV stay partially open at times to regulate manifold pressure? I came across several threads. One claims that one can revent the BPV to atmosphere and another one that the BPV vacuums at times there fore doing such would have detrimental effect on the setup. Thanks
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
      02-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
NikB316
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 M5 Competition

Well I have had my AA Gen 1 kit for over 10k miles and Gen 2 kit now for a few hundred and can say that I honestly LOVE the sound of the BOVs. I am not sure why someone had said the SC + BOV sounds bad? Maybe it's that particular setup? I have had many M3 guys drive my car, some with various s/c kits, and they all have said how great the sound is. Not trying to toot my own horn but I actually get a lot more compliments on the particular sound of my car from these M3 guys than I expected! I was first a bit skeptical of BOVs on a DCT myself but after driving the car it was a no brainer. It's not like I hear the BOVs every shift - you really need to open the car up to even hear them! When just cruising around and not shifting aggressively, I can't even tell that they are there. In regard to the car sounding like it has an asthma attack, I would like to hear what these different setups sound like as that doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I've been so busy but after March 1st life should calm down a little bit and I'll get some videos up. Anyone is more than welcome to come take my car for a spin and hear it yourself then also. I will be in Wayne, NJ and East Hanover, NJ 7 days a week starting then.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
      02-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
Chriskm3
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Simple to do you can just install one and cap the intake where we feed our bypass back into the intake, just make sure it is adjusted correctly. Personally BOV with a SC sounds awful but for those that think it sounds good it can be done.
Thank you guys for your input. Another question , does the BPV stay partially open at times to regulate manifold pressure? I came across several threads. One claims that one can revent the BPV to atmosphere and another one that the BPV vacuums at times there fore doing such would have detrimental effect on the setup. Thanks
      02-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
Chriskm3
Colonel

[quote=Andrew@ActiveAutowerke;13504750]There is a reason we have added a 3rd Bov to our system and it is to eliminate the jerky on/off throttling issue many supercharger customers seem to complain about. The Third Bov is actually located behind the bumper and invisible when everything is buttoned up. The results are a oem-silky smooth driving experience for all of our customers. If you get a chance to drive one let us know what you think.

02-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
which BOV do u recommend that works with Ess Manifold well?!
      02-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
THE-FN-MAN
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 x2

Part of the reason I went with Gintani is because of the beautiful sounds their kit makes. Get a BOV man, you'll love it
      02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
tom @ eas

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssM3 View Post
which BOV do u recommend that works with Ess Manifold well?!
Even the one provided with the kit will work, as long as the intake tract is properly capped off.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
      02-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
NikB316
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 M5 Competition

BOV FTW. Th-Fn-Man speaks the truth! I imagine the Gintani setup sounds quite sexy as well!

One thing maybe some could shed some more light on...I have heard of some issues with the kits without BOVs that the car will actually keep on pulling when in boost but off the throttle? Maybe some guys can chime in to see if this is an isolated incident or exactly what is happening?

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
      02-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
m33
Banned

Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Lmfao !!!!!! Fluttering choo choo train , and not io mention boost drop cause slight lag .
m33 is offline   United_States
      02-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
M3sicko
Captain

Drives: 10' E92 M3 6MT to 13' E92 DCT

Quote:
Even the one provided with the kit will work, as long as the intake tract is properly capped off.
I would like to see someone getting it done as i am really considering going that route! A DIY thread would be awesome.
M3sicko is offline   United_States