BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
yoelev
First Lieutenant
 
yoelev's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

What is that darn rattle?

from about 3000-4000 RPM under load i'm getting a very annoying rattle that i just can't pinpoint. will attempt to take video of it so you can hear. at first i thought it was the hood vent rattling around, which i attempted to lubricate. that wasnt it. then i thought it may have to do with my air filter which i had swapped out. not that either. could it be the entire intake?

and i pressed the search button so please don't tell me to press the search button.

thanks
__________________

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Monoball Kit, Dinan Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Struts, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Pullies, Dinan Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
yoelev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Nicname
Captain
 
Nicname's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 M3 E92 JB
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Posts: 895
iTrader: (2)

I had something similar and found out it was the side passenger door slit. That little pocket that the passenger has to place objects. When it's closed, it's not secured tight enough so it rattles like no tomorrow. I have to drive with it open until I go to my next service to fix it up.
__________________


'12 E92 ///M3 DCT loaded l Lux 5000k H8 l Gintani Sport l Gintani HFC x-pipe l Velos Tuning l Amuse Trunk l 20 % tints l Black kidneys/reflectors
Nicname is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
dmk08
///Maniac
 
dmk08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 2,776
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
I have the same thing sometimes. Luckily my exhaust is so obnoxious now I cannot hear it.
dmk08 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
from about 3000-4000 RPM under load i'm getting a very annoying rattle that i just can't pinpoint. will attempt to take video of it so you can hear. at first i thought it was the hood vent rattling around, which i attempted to lubricate. that wasnt it. then i thought it may have to do with my air filter which i had swapped out. not that either. could it be the entire intake?

and i pressed the search button so please don't tell me to press the search button.

thanks
If you removed the intake box for whatever reason, there are two rubber silencers that attach to the lower box and the chassis.

See #7 in this diagram. I lost one and I had a resonance that drove me nuts until I saw this missing.
Attached Images
 
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
yoelev
First Lieutenant
 
yoelev's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I had something similar and found out it was the side passenger door slit. That little pocket that the passenger has to place objects. When it's closed, it's not secured tight enough so it rattles like no tomorrow. I have to drive with it open until I go to my next service to fix it up.
im pretty sure this is in the engine bay
__________________

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Monoball Kit, Dinan Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Struts, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Pullies, Dinan Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
yoelev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,676
iTrader: (0)

I have something similar to this and have no idea where it comes from. I took it to the dealer and they were able to replicate it in two other cars so they said nothing to worry about. I've just gotten used to it now. It only occurs in 1st gear for me.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
yoelev
First Lieutenant
 
yoelev's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I have something similar to this and have no idea where it comes from. I took it to the dealer and they were able to replicate it in two other cars so they said nothing to worry about. I've just gotten used to it now. It only occurs in 1st gear for me.
i have it in every gear and it really just feels like a rattle during acceleration just in that RPM. i don't think it's a big deal. just sounds, i don't know. unclean.
__________________

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Monoball Kit, Dinan Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Struts, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Pullies, Dinan Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
yoelev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
yoelev
First Lieutenant
 
yoelev's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

update, the sound is gone. i didn't change anything but think maybe the air filter settled. i have no explanation
__________________

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Monoball Kit, Dinan Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Struts, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Pullies, Dinan Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
yoelev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Stronie
Major
 
Stronie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Silverstone II E90 M3
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Posts: 1,167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
If you removed the intake box for whatever reason, there are two rubber silencers that attach to the lower box and the chassis.

See #7 in this diagram. I lost one and I had a resonance that drove me nuts until I saw this missing.
thekurgan where did you get that screenshot? Link? It doesn't look like realOEM site.
Stronie is online now   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
ChrisK
Brigadier General
 
ChrisK's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,859
iTrader: (4)

Does it almost sound like change jingling?
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronie View Post
thekurgan where did you get that screenshot? Link? It doesn't look like realOEM site.
It's from penskeparts.com.

Here is the sedan link:

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...7&rnd=03192010
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Stronie
Major
 
Stronie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Silverstone II E90 M3
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Posts: 1,167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
It's from penskeparts.com.

Here is the sedan link:

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...7&rnd=03192010
Thanks!!!
Stronie is online now   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
yoelev
First Lieutenant
 
yoelev's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 337
iTrader: (0)

sounded more like a rattle than change jingling, sorta like a loose part in the intake. best guess
__________________

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Monoball Kit, Dinan Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Struts, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Pullies, Dinan Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
yoelev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST