BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
tarekjreidini
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2006

2006 e90 wont start

My car has been recently lagging on ignition. Like when i turn it on the engine starter sometimes pauses for like a second and i feel the lights dimming and then it works. Anyway I have been ignoring this problem (my fault i know). So yesterday i parked it and went to have dinner then when i came back it just wouldnt turn on. It would make a small clicking sound but nothing else. Radio, windows, lights, even xenon headlights work perfectly and there is no flickering of light when i attempt to turn it on. I called in a guy to jumpstart it he said he'd rather replace the battery than jumpstart which he did and still it wouldn't turn on. He told me there is something under the steering wheel some chip or something that needs to be changed. I dont trust him honestly he doesnt seem that bright.
So what do you think this could be?
Thanks
      02-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
iBlackTeddyBear
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e92 325i

Sounds like a dead battery, my e46 did it all the time with exactly the same symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Even though this is an M3 forum I will still answer your question.

You need to get a multi-meter and measure voltages at the battery and at the starter. After this, one can measure voltage drops within the leads by testing the individual leads with the multi-meter by testing the voltage drops from one end of the cable to the other which will allow you to pinpoint which lead, or connection has a problem.

If the battery is good (12.65V or higher after being charged), and there is no more than 0.5V total voltage drop in the leads in the starter circuit, the starter motor or solenoid may be bad.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 02-17-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0