BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
M3takesNYC
Banned
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 426
iTrader: (0)

Bad seal? Losing oil all of a sudden

My car has just over 40k miles on it and for the first 39k miles it literally burned NO oil at all. Always checked regularly and sensor always was perfectly filled between changes.

Lately I have noticed the past few weeks the indicator has dropped a bit and now today dropped more to about half or a little less. Does not tell me to add a quart yet but this is clearly different for my car.

If it burned oil from the get-go than I would not care and I don't care if I have to add oil etc but I care that it seems different for my car.

The thing I have noticed is a black "film" around the oil-fill cap and around the engine in that area.

Was wondering if perhaps the seal is gone on the oil fill cap and is causing vapor or loss of oil through there. I cleaned the film and it came back so something is causing that.

Any thoughts? No oil under the car or anywhere else in the engine bay. I looked all around with a flashlight
M3takesNYC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,975
iTrader: (5)

I won't worry too much about the oil cap. But i would get a leak down and compression test ?
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
M3takesNYC
Banned
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 426
iTrader: (0)

well there is a bunch of black stuff surrounding the oil cap and each time I wipe it it comes back. Something is comin out of there
M3takesNYC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
 
Bob Santorini's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Individual - Santorini
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

I just topped mine up with oil today. I don't lift the bonnet very often but this time i noticed oil film just beneath where the cap sits. I cleaned it up, thinking nothing of it and then topped up with oil and refitted the cap.
Popped out for a drive and noted that the car couldn't display the level and the indicator was just continuously processing after reaching full operating temperature.
When i got back i lifted the bonnet and noticed fresh oil had come out from beneath the cap!
Having searched through posts on here i checked the O-ring to find it had kinked and split where it wasn't seated properly
I'll be off to the dealer in the morning to hopefully get a new seal. Beware in future that you should always check the O-ring is seated correctly before refitting the oil cap. Must be a common fault that they can work loose whilst the lid is being removed.

As for the level indicator??? Hopefully I've not over-filled it. I just put in about a quarter of litre as it was reading a little below the mid point of the level indicator.

Bob
Bob Santorini is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (6)

Your engine is probably fine and I doubt you are losing a significant amount of oil through the cap. I wouldn't worry about anything besides the cap. Although sometimes that doesn't solve the issue with the oil seep.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,444
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
My car has just over 40k miles on it and for the first 39k miles it literally burned NO oil at all. Always checked regularly and sensor always was perfectly filled between changes.

Lately I have noticed the past few weeks the indicator has dropped a bit and now today dropped more to about half or a little less. Does not tell me to add a quart yet but this is clearly different for my car.

If it burned oil from the get-go than I would not care and I don't care if I have to add oil etc but I care that it seems different for my car.

The thing I have noticed is a black "film" around the oil-fill cap and around the engine in that area.

Was wondering if perhaps the seal is gone on the oil fill cap and is causing vapor or loss of oil through there. I cleaned the film and it came back so something is causing that.

Any thoughts? No oil under the car or anywhere else in the engine bay. I looked all around with a flashlight
The oil cap leak....check this out v v v
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704497
///M Power-Belgium is online now   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
 
Bob Santorini's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Individual - Santorini
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Replacement oil cap fitted today. Leak gone, lesson learned regarding seal...

Bob
Bob Santorini is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,648
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Try putting the cap on backwards (with the lettering facing the opposite way). Did the trick for me.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you lube the seal in the cap on both sides, it will prevent it from binding up when twisting it on as well. I think this is what happens, if you press hard while turning, you can feel it bind up.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,812
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Santorini
I just topped mine up with oil today. I don't lift the bonnet very often but this time i noticed oil film just beneath where the cap sits. I cleaned it up, thinking nothing of it and then topped up with oil and refitted the cap.
Popped out for a drive and noted that the car couldn't display the level and the indicator was just continuously processing after reaching full operating temperature.
When i got back i lifted the bonnet and noticed fresh oil had come out from beneath the cap!
Having searched through posts on here i checked the O-ring to find it had kinked and split where it wasn't seated properly
I'll be off to the dealer in the morning to hopefully get a new seal. Beware in future that you should always check the O-ring is seated correctly before refitting the oil cap. Must be a common fault that they can work loose whilst the lid is being removed.

As for the level indicator??? Hopefully I've not over-filled it. I just put in about a quarter of litre as it was reading a little below the mid point of the level indicator.

Bob
If only 1/4L, you are give even if it says above max. Not enough to do anything, plus mine went back down to OK level after a bit
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Oil caps have had a recall on them. I have the same residue near the cap but no low oil indicator. Its a hit or miss thing. A buddy has an 09 with the old style oil cap and no oil residue.
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #12
slo_guy
Lieutenant
 
slo_guy's Avatar
 
Drives: a car
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

Posts: 401
iTrader: (3)

Had mine leak so much in a short amount of time (lost 1/2 liter). Replaced the oil cap, and cleaned out the oil. No more leaking.
slo_guy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
Soorena
Captain
 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 831
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Try putting the cap on backwards (with the lettering facing the opposite way). Did the trick for me.
this.
Soorena is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST