BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #45
dogbone
Second Lieutenant
dogbone's Avatar
4
Rep
281
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 93 million miles from the Sun

iTrader: (0)

When I was at the track with minicorsa a few weeks ago, he was on his first day with NT01's. This was happening to his rear NT01 tire.

I dunno, I think Nitto has a QC issue on their hands at the moment with NT01----in the last two months, there's been many people having the same problem with those tires. I never heard of this issue until a couple months ago......I wonder if something changed.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #46
CSBM5
Captain
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

From tire engineers I've shown my pics to (work for other company), they think it's probably a manufacturing and/or compounding issue. It will take some process work on Nitto's part to get to the bottom of the problem imo. In the meantime, simply stay away from the product is the most effective strategy.
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #47
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
david @ eas's Avatar
United_States
113
Rep
4,054
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anaheim

iTrader: (5)

Impressive driving! I need to get back out to BW.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #48
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,015
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
When I was at the track with minicorsa a few weeks ago, he was on his first day with NT01's. This was happening to his rear NT01 tire.

I dunno, I think Nitto has a QC issue on their hands at the moment with NT01----in the last two months, there's been many people having the same problem with those tires. I never heard of this issue until a couple months ago......I wonder if something changed.
that appears worse than mine with less tire wear. wtf. this is pissing me off. i was psyched to be on nt01s and now they fall apart. so whats the verdict here?
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #49
CSBM5
Captain
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
that appears worse than mine with less tire wear. wtf. this is pissing me off. i was psyched to be on nt01s and now they fall apart. so whats the verdict here?
Here's a couple of mine...about 15 minutes of use:
Attached Images
  
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #50
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,015
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

i have one of my 4 that looks like yours approx. cbsm5. so are people still running them after this happens. cut doesnt extend past the top tread block so as long as it doesnt worsen should wear to slick as normal?
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #51
CSBM5
Captain
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
i have one of my 4 that looks like yours approx. cbsm5. so are people still running them after this happens. cut doesnt extend past the top tread block so as long as it doesnt worsen should wear to slick as normal?
It's a toss-up. You never know. Once a tread splice starts opening up like that, odds of a failure at high speed are too great for me to own the tires. I demanded Nitto take these things back and refund me (after talking with tire engineers from another company about these types of failures).

They have a process problem that cropped up recently -- clearly. Whether it's a manufacturing contamination issue or a compounding issue, or whatever, it's something that started in tires produced in the later half of 2012 it seems. I've used NT-01s for 6 years, and this is the first set to start coming apart.
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #52
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,015
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
It's a toss-up. You never know. Once a tread splice starts opening up like that, odds of a failure at high speed are too great for me to own the tires. I demanded Nitto take these things back and refund me (after talking with tire engineers from another company about these types of failures).

They have a process problem that cropped up recently -- clearly. Whether it's a manufacturing contamination issue or a compounding issue, or whatever, it's something that started in tires produced in the later half of 2012 it seems. I've used NT-01s for 6 years, and this is the first set to start coming apart.
damn it thats what im afraid of and the timing is screwed. im already set to go to the track again saturday.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #53
dogbone
Second Lieutenant
dogbone's Avatar
4
Rep
281
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 93 million miles from the Sun

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
that appears worse than mine with less tire wear. wtf. this is pissing me off. i was psyched to be on nt01s and now they fall apart. so whats the verdict here?
hehe the verdict for me was to try Hankook TD. They wear out fast too, but I am loving being on these tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #54
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,015
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

got confirmation this morning from jim at performance tread that he got nitto to replace the tire. shipping so i can have for weekend event. shot out to performance tread for good cumstomer service and pricing.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #55
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Ti-Jean's Avatar
3
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [4.50]
Looking at the pictures posted of the Nitto failure, it seems as if it is to happen it will happen in the early life of the tire (before they become slicks). Do you guys agree with my conclusion?

I'm kind of getting freaked out by this issue. My set of NT 01 are wearing just fine but wondering if I should order another set or switch to something different. Any recommendation? Hankood TD doesn't come in 275/35/18 that I need so that's out.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #56
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,015
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Jean View Post
Looking at the pictures posted of the Nitto failure, it seems as if it is to happen it will happen in the early life of the tire (before they become slicks). Do you guys agree with my conclusion?

I'm kind of getting freaked out by this issue. My set of NT 01 are wearing just fine but wondering if I should order another set or switch to something different. Any recommendation? Hankood TD doesn't come in 275/35/18 that I need so that's out.
will keep posted. have 1 new nt01 in route and will be using all 4 saturday.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #57
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

I checked my set again yesterday and a 3rd tire developed a cut (most likely after last track day - 02/03 at Big Willow). With one tire at a dealer for warranty process, 2 out of 4 in my possesion has the cuts. The first one happened on the first day (discovered mid-morning), the second one happened on track day 2, and this 3rd one is the new one I bought in place of the 1st tire that's in warranty process. So, so far, they happened on 1st day as well as 2nd day.

I've tracked them on 2 track days after the cuts developed. Lucky nothing's blown up. But, thought of a blown tire as I'm going thru turn 8 (fast big arc) at Big Willow at 125 mph...
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #58
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,015
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I checked my set again yesterday and a 3rd tire developed a cut (most likely after last track day - 02/03 at Big Willow). With one tire at a dealer for warranty process, 2 out of 4 in my possesion has the cuts. The first one happened on the first day (discovered mid-morning), the second one happened on track day 2, and this 3rd one is the new one I bought in place of the 1st tire that's in warranty process. So, so far, they happened on 1st day as well as 2nd day.

I've tracked them on 2 track days after the cuts developed. Lucky nothing's blown up. But, thought of a blown tire as I'm going thru turn 8 (fast big arc) at Big Willow at 125 mph...
hope im lucky and dont develop more this time out. i have 2 days on them one was semi wet to start.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #59
paradocs98
Major
paradocs98's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,347
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
had one of my nt01s delaminate across almost the entire width of the tread today. not good. glad i didnt have a gt3 moment like at daytona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
That happened on 2 on my set of NT01's. And, on one of my track buddy's NT01 set too.

I ran 2 more track days on the set, and so far *knock on wood*, no issues that I could tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I bought my fourth set of NT-01s last Fall, and the prior three sets going back to 2007 I never had any issues with; however, all four of the latest NT-01s had tread splice failure after about 12 runs at a CCA autox on the Performance Center track (perhaps a total of 15 minutes of use). They were properly heat cycled and driven prior to the track use.

You DO NOT want to drive tires with tread splices opening up like these have at high speeds especially. Contact Nitto and demand service. When I sent pictures of what happened to these tires (and after so little use), they offered to refund me and have Discount Tire send them back for analysis. I bought them in November, and I think the build week was 32.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
When I was at the track with minicorsa a few weeks ago, he was on his first day with NT01's. This was happening to his rear NT01 tire.

I dunno, I think Nitto has a QC issue on their hands at the moment with NT01----in the last two months, there's been many people having the same problem with those tires. I never heard of this issue until a couple months ago......I wonder if something changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
From tire engineers I've shown my pics to (work for other company), they think it's probably a manufacturing and/or compounding issue. It will take some process work on Nitto's part to get to the bottom of the problem imo. In the meantime, simply stay away from the product is the most effective strategy.
You guys should probably make a separate thread out of this. This kind of info is more important than 95% of the stuff on here, and it shouldn't be buried in the middle of a thread about another subject. I just happened to stumble across this buried in another thread on here. I was a couple of weeks away from buying my third set of NT01s, but now I'm looking for something else based on this info.
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #60
dogbone
Second Lieutenant
dogbone's Avatar
4
Rep
281
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 93 million miles from the Sun

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
You guys should probably make a separate thread out of this. This kind of info is more important than 95% of the stuff on here, and it shouldn't be buried in the middle of a thread about another subject. I just happened to stumble across this buried in another thread on here. I was a couple of weeks away from buying my third set of NT01s, but now I'm looking for something else based on this info.
Try Hankook TD. Look what OC3 did on his first hot laps with TD compared to NT01. He dropped 5+ seconds at Buttonwillow 13CW over his best NT01 time and went down to 1:58. I'm not saying that's a typical result, but the TD's grip very very well. I've run TD's at Buttonwillow and had no problem dropping below 2 minutes as well with them. Minicorsa ran 1:31 at Big Willow on them. That is an amazing time. And he has an almost stock M3.

Also, people say that R-comps are silent until their adhesion limit, and then it's a sudden loss of grip. I don't find that to be the case with the TD's. I pushed them past their limits, and found it to be a controlled loss that I could hear coming and then a quick regain of traction. Nothing surprising.

TD's are awesome. Do yourself a favor and try them. Your lap time will love you.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST