BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
darkbmw
0
Private
 
Drives: slow m3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: orlando fl

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Mdm comp us vs euro mdm

Anyone know the diffrence
darkbmw is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
warp10
6
Captain
 
warp10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Posts: 689
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Euro mdm allows for more slip angle but will save you if things get crazy. Worth the coding if you track a lot.
__________________

2011 E92 M3 Coupe Jet Black ZCP: aFe High Flow Filter, AA Race X-Pipe, UUC Corsa Exhaust, Evolve Stage 2 Tune w/ Servo and DCT, BMW Performance Electric Steering Wheel V2, CF Spoiler, and GT4 Front Splitter, APR GT-250, Stoptech ST-60, KW Clubsports, Apex ARC-8, 275 NT01, Sparco Ergo Seats, Alekshop: Cage, Subframe and Diff mounts, Oil Cooler
warp10 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
RBB
3
First Lieutenant
 
RBB's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA

Posts: 344
iTrader: (10)

Agreed. I don't find a whole lot of use for it on the street.
RBB is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
meez
5
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
 
meez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 DY E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 550
iTrader: (5)

Euro MDM is a must have for the track IMO.

It lets you get way more aggressive before it 'saves' you.

Worth it.
meez is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Longboarder
37
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,765
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
I love Euro MDM as it's not intrusive at all like US MDM but you have to be much more careful with it as it doesn't "save" you as I found out the hard way a couple days ago:

__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
aus
73
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,374
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I love Euro MDM as it's not intrusive at all like US MDM but you have to be much more careful with it as it doesn't "save" you as I found out the hard way a couple days ago:

That little crest is pretty tricky. If you have the wheel turned and the rear end hasn't had a chance to settle, it's coming around- like it did on you. I'm thinking once you got off track, MDM didn't have a chance to correct it and the rear end was too light to fix the problem too. Looks like you turned in a little early??
Nice save though.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Mmmdreamer
5
Lieutenant
 
Mmmdreamer's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jersey City

Posts: 540
iTrader: (1)

just looks like bad driving...JOKES! haha. Looked like a sneaky turn.
__________________
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Mmmdreamer is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Longboarder
37
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,765
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That little crest is pretty tricky. If you have the wheel turned and the rear end hasn't had a chance to settle, it's coming around- like it did on you. I'm thinking once you got off track, MDM didn't have a chance to correct it and the rear end was too light to fix the problem too. Looks like you turned in a little early??
Nice save though.
Interesting. DSC would have selectively applied the rear brakes which would have affected yaw but you are right...if the rear tires aren't touching the surface it can't correct. Also, ABS was down (malfunction indicator was on) because it was so hot my rear tires were spinning 100% of the time. It was a surreal experience for sure and I'll never track again at those temps with street tires.

Your are correct...I came around quick as I was going slow on a warm down lap and wanted to get out of the way of another driver. Serves me right for being so nice lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer View Post
just looks like bad driving...JOKES! haha. Looked like a sneaky turn.
No, pretty much just bad driving on my part
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
CanAutM3
44
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 4,165
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Interesting. DSC would have selectively applied the rear brakes which would have affected yaw but you are right...if the rear tires aren't touching the surface it can't correct. Also, ABS was down (malfunction indicator was on) because it was so hot my rear tires were spinning 100% of the time. It was a surreal experience for sure and I'll never track again at those temps with street tires.
To counter oversteer, DSC will apply the front outside brake (front left in the case of your vid) to resist the yaw moment, not rear brakes.

Inside rear brake is applied to counter understeer by increasing the yaw moment.

If you say your ABS was down, maybe DSC/MDM was not functional either...

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-04-2013 at 09:07 PM.
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
UBER ///M3
8
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
 
UBER ///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ezelsdorf, Germany

Posts: 800
iTrader: (0)

I believe US MDM is 3% slip angle and with the Euro MDM is allows 7% slip angle buddy
__________________
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
UBER ///M3 is offline   Germany
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
tightie
57
JOSH SHOKRI.
 
tightie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: los angeles, california.

Posts: 5,715
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.95]
night and day difference.
__________________
15 YMB F80 M3 | iND Painted Front Reflectors, Painted Side Marker Set, Rear Painted Emblem & Front Grill Surround| KW 3 Way Clubsport | Gintani Downpipes | Macht Schnell Stud Conversion Kit | JB4 | Too many wheels to list
*Track Day: November 2 @ Buttonwillow Raceway
tightie is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Longboarder
37
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,765
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
To counter oversteer, DSC will apply the front outside brake (front left in the case of your vid) to resist the yaw moment, not rear brakes.

Inside rear brake is applied to counter understeer by increasing the yaw moment.

If you say your ABS was down, maybe DSC/MDM was not functional either...
Thx for the clarification that makes sense. Yeah not sure if DSC/MDM was off either but perhaps if it was still active, was adversely affected by the lack of grip from the melting tires.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
STi_traitor
10
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meez View Post
Euro MDM is a must have for the track IMO.

It lets you get way more aggressive before it 'saves' you.

Worth it.
+1
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
CanAutM3
44
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 4,165
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meez View Post
Euro MDM is a must have for the track IMO.

It lets you get way more aggressive before it 'saves' you.

Worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
+1
I still find it too intrusive for track use.

I love it for a romp in twisties though , where the environment is not as well controlled compared to a track.
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
STi_traitor
10
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

I believe the US MDM has a 3% slip angle and the Euro MDM has a 7% slip angle. I am not too sure but this is what I have heard. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong. I know for certain that it is at least, if not more than double the slip angle of the US MDM.

A plus to the Euro MDM is that it will be less intrusive on the car when you are on the track, even when not making turns. If you hit a bump (large elevation change) it can at times signal the DSC to kick in. Euro MDM will still interrupt at times but way less than US MDM. This is something I believe every track driver needs.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
STi_traitor
10
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I still find it too intrusive for track use.

I love it for a romp in twisties though , where the environment is not as well controlled compared to a track.
I have had it kick in at times on the Nurburgring when not even turning. Needless to say the Nurburgring is very wild so its understandable. If you think it may be too intrusive maybe you should try to smoothen out those spots on the track when you are driving, it may be trying to tell you something. I have taken it fairly hard on the Ring and it's very smooth and allows for a good amount of play.

In no way am I trying to challenge your track abilities, just giving ideas and opinions like all track guys on here should. I was told the same by some good friends. I tried a few different things on turns and the DSC stopped engaging and my time dropped!
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
CanAutM3
44
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 4,165
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
This is something I believe every track driver needs.
No, all a track driver needs is the "DSC off" button
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
STi_traitor
10
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I still find it too intrusive for track use.

I love it for a romp in twisties though , where the environment is not as well controlled compared to a track.
Another note would be that maybe you are getting to another level of driving where DSC OFF is the way to go. I have driven with a few drivers on the Ring with DSC OFF and they were getting it! These guys are very good drivers though in the low 7's high 7's. Thats fast for the Ring. The car felt very stable but at the same time a bucking bronco......in the end I am trying to say that it really felt like racing. Hahaha!
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
STi_traitor
10
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
No, all a track driver needs is the "DSC off" button
Maybe for you but for now I will stick with MDM. I would like to see some of your videos with DSC off. Those are always the interesting ones to watch.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
CanAutM3
44
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 4,165
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
I have had it kick in at times on the Nurburgring when not even turning. Needless to say the Nurburgring is very wild so its understandable. If you think it may be too intrusive maybe you should try to smoothen out those spots on the track when you are driving, it may be trying to tell you something. I have taken it fairly hard on the Ring and it's very smooth and allows for a good amount of play.

In no way am I trying to challenge your track abilities, just giving ideas and opinions like all track guys on here should. I was told the same by some good friends. I tried a few different things on turns and the DSC stopped engaging and my time dropped!
I have been tracking for almost 20 years and have been an instructor for some time now too. That being said, I still have A LOT to learn and improve (otherwise I would not be doing the day job I am doing today ). I can still confirm that when you start pushing closer to the limit, MDM is too intrusive. Even Euro MDM, but it is better than US MDM.

This is probably exasperated by the fact that I am running a square setup. However, at our last track day, I was running my street staggered setup because the track was wet, and even then MDM was kicking-in more than I liked. Switched it off, and everything was fine.

That said, running the Green Hell takes balls of steel. I would most certainly keep MDM on myself until I have A LOT of laps under my belt to feel confident. This is certainly where Euro MDM comes-in handy .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-05-2013 at 01:40 PM.
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
CanAutM3
44
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 4,165
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
Maybe for you but for now I will stick with MDM. I would like to see some of your videos with DSC off. Those are always the interesting ones to watch.
Here you go:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...0#post13936090

Post 571

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
STi_traitor
10
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I have been tracking for almost 20 years and have been an instructor for some time now too. That being said, I still have A LOT to learn and improve (otherwise I would not be doing the day job I am doing today ). I can still confirm that when you start pushing closer to the limit, MDM is too intrusive. Even Euro MDM, but it is better than US MDM.

This is probably exasperated by the fact that I am running a square setup. However, at our last track day, I was running my street staggered setup because the track was wet, and even then MDM was kicking-in more than I liked. Switched it off, and everything was fine.

That said, running the Green Hell takes balls of steel. I would most certainly keep MDM on myself until I have A LOT of laps under my belt to feel confident. This is certainly where Euro MDM comes-in handy .
Agreed, I have driven with a few drivers on the Ring with DSC OFF but these guys have a great deal of experience. I would in no way try that for some time. I have lost one car on there already and I am not in the rush to do it again.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST