BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

switching over from 135i to e92 m3

Hey guys, just like the title says, I'm planning on trading in my 135i for an e92 in the next few months and just have one question. What should I look at when finding one I like, I know on my 135i with an n54 it was to make sure the hpfp was okay, no wastegate rattle and that injectors were fine when fixed from the recall, any info would truly help
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
169
Rep
3,470
Posts

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (36)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkm3
Hey guys, just like the title says, I'm planning on trading in my 135i for an e92 in the next few months and just have one question. What should I look at when finding one I like, I know on my 135i with an n54 it was to make sure the hpfp was okay, no wastegate rattle and that injectors were fine when fixed from the recall, any info would truly help
Awesome choice to get an m3.

I came from 1addicts as well. In my experience the e92 is more robust. My advice would be get a lower mileage one with under 30k and be patient until you find one with the exact color and mileage you want. There are plenty on the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Agent-GHQ
Lieutenant
Agent-GHQ's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Get them fast! Prices are already going up!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
M3IN V8
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: '08 IB m3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Welcome and enjoy the car! I also made them same move, albeit from an n55 and haven't looked back since. The e92 m3 seems to be fairly reliable...two somewhat common issue to look out for are throttle actuators and rod bearings
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
M3IN V8
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: '08 IB m3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Get them fast! Prices are already going up!!
Are they really? The market is flooded..it's not like with the e46 m3s where prices bottomed out and are steadily going up as it is becoming harder and harder to find a stock 6MT coupe. I think we still have ways to go before that happens to our platform
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Awesome choice to get an m3.

I came from 1addicts as well. In my experience the e92 is more robust. My advice would be get a lower mileage one with under 30k and be patient until you find one with the exact color and mileage you want. There are plenty on the market.
Trust me I'm in no hurry, I bought my 135i with only 9k miles and it was an 09 lol well worth waiting and looking
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #7
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3IN V8 View Post
Welcome and enjoy the car! I also made them same move, albeit from an n55 and haven't looked back since. The e92 m3 seems to be fairly reliable...two somewhat common issue to look out for are throttle actuators and rod bearings
I really want that v8 lol and really rod bearings how can you tell if the car has any issues with both of those issues?
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #8
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Get them fast! Prices are already going up!!
Hope they go up after I purchase mine lol
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

Hope I can get a decent trade in value for my 135i, it's a 2009 with 18k miles, clean title and clean in and out I'm upside like 3k but I dint mind refinancing that on my m3 at all or paying it up front
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:32 AM   #10
STooK
Captain
STooK's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
862
Posts

Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Prices aren't going up yet, in fact they're starting to go down until they stabilize. I'd say get one with warranty if you can, if not find one with low miles and do a PPI. If you don't feel comfortable, fork over another 2-3k to get the bearings done.
__________________
2011 BMW E93 ///M3 MW/FR/BLK 6 Speed - Top down is better

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:20 AM   #11
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
Prices aren't going up yet, in fact they're starting to go down until they stabilize. I'd say get one with warranty if you can, if not find one with low miles and do a PPI. If you don't feel comfortable, fork over another 2-3k to get the bearings done.
Thanks! Every used car I've owned had warranty, if not I was sure to purchase a 3rd party warranty, might be a hassle to work with but it gets the job done. And I very much plan to do a PPI, what are some things to look for, as I know some people give them a list at what to look for
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
mjposner
Major
mjposner's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,397
Posts

Drives: 2012 E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Carmax has decent deals and a decent after market warranty program. You can get your car appraised there as well. As soon as you buy pull some oil and send to blackstone for an analysis to see if the rod bearings are a possible (very minor) issue.
__________________
Previous BMW: 14 M235i, 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #13
got da booze
Boozilla
got da booze's Avatar
9
Rep
424
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 ZCP ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [3.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Get them fast! Prices are already going up!!
__________________
BMW 2011.75 E90 ZCP M3 Jet Black | Dinan Intake/Tune/Exhaust/Underdrive/Strut Bars | Lux V4 | OSRAM 5500K CBI | 25% Tint | garage queen Sunday driver.

*M3 E90 OEM chrome grills, OEM strut bars and OEM pulley w/ belts for sale! If interested, please send me a PM.*
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Colonel
38
Rep
2,065
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkm3 View Post
I really want that v8 lol and really rod bearings how can you tell if the car has any issues with both of those issues?
You cannot. You can not worry about it like most people. 99% of the cars seem to be fine. Or you can do a preventative maintenance rod bearing change for $500 to $1000 in parts or pay a shop to do it for the same plus $1000 to $2000 in labor. Or you can buy an extended warranty. I chose to DIY the rod bearings for $500. Mine actually were in no danger of imminent failure, so I won't be worrying about them for another 5 years or 50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
SunnyD
Captain
SunnyD's Avatar
Hong Kong
24
Rep
718
Posts

Drives: the speed limit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkm3 View Post
I really want that v8 lol and really rod bearings how can you tell if the car has any issues with both of those issues?
You could get an oil analysis done as a preventative measure to see if the car may be prone to rod bearing failure.

Also came from a 135, and while it was fun tuned, handling-wise it doesn't hold a candle to the m3.
__________________
'11.5 ///M3 | SSII/Fox Red | ZCP | DCT
'09 135 | AW/Black | 6MT - Gone
'06 ///M5 | IB/Black | SMG - Gone
'98 ///M3 | TiAg/Dove Gray | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | IB/Black | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #16
Flying Ace
aviateur de première classe
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
134
Rep
2,440
Posts

Drives: E90 Plug-In Hybrid M3, X5d LCI
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Get them fast! Prices are already going up!!


please buy my 08 for $46k
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
Amirsm3
Colonel
Amirsm3's Avatar
49
Rep
2,038
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Williams/Flagstaff, AZ

iTrader: (2)

I haven't seen my slick top e90 go up in value yet, lol, you have plenty of time, OP
__________________
2011 e90 M3 Space Grey DCT ZCP- black eAs gills/grilles, eAs H8 LED Corona bulbs, BMW carbon fiber mirror caps, Agency Power CF elbow, MS 12f/12r spacers, Alex@AlpineMSS DCT Flash, iND reflectors, Milltek slip-on, F10 M5 front brakes, BMW Perf. steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
Flying Ace
aviateur de première classe
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
134
Rep
2,440
Posts

Drives: E90 Plug-In Hybrid M3, X5d LCI
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
I haven't seen my slick top e90 go up in value yet, lol, you have plenty of time, OP
I'll buy your E90 for $100k, PM sent, and boom, value just went up.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #19
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
You could get an oil analysis done as a preventative measure to see if the car may be prone to rod bearing failure.

Also came from a 135, and while it was fun tuned, handling-wise it doesn't hold a candle to the m3.
I plan on sending it to Blackstone as other have said, and u have yet to drive an m3 around the track, I tracked my 135i and loved how well it handled I can only imagine what an m3 will do
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #20
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
You cannot. You can not worry about it like most people. 99% of the cars seem to be fine. Or you can do a preventative maintenance rod bearing change for $500 to $1000 in parts or pay a shop to do it for the same plus $1000 to $2000 in labor. Or you can buy an extended warranty. I chose to DIY the rod bearings for $500. Mine actually were in no danger of imminent failure, so I won't be worrying about them for another 5 years or 50k miles.

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post


please buy my 08 for $46k
Not for an 08 lol
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
Flying Ace
aviateur de première classe
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
134
Rep
2,440
Posts

Drives: E90 Plug-In Hybrid M3, X5d LCI
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkm3 View Post
Thanks for the info!



Not for an 08 lol
so in other words M3's didn't appreciate much have it?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #22
hawkm3
Lieutenant
hawkm3's Avatar
19
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
so in other words M3's didn't appreciate much have it?
Huh?
__________________
FBO 09 135i Space Grey Metallic
///M Sport/Premium Package
JB4 40% E85 / BMS Intakes / VRSF FMIC / Berk Resonated Midpipes / Custom Muffler Delete / N54 tuning downpipes / VMR v710 Wheels
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST