BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
gthberg
Private First Class
gthberg's Avatar
7
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: e90 M3 IB/FR
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 e90 M3  [0.00]
2015 Range Rover Ev ...  [0.00]
1987 BMW M6  [0.00]
Snapped coolant bleed screw

Any brilliant ideas out there for removing half of the coolant expansion tank bleed screw? I was flushing the radiator today, and while I was doing the final bleed, the screw snapped in half (with hardly any torque, which is awesome)....should have seen the fountain of coolant spouting up in the air! So, I'll grab a new one, but I'm having a rough time getting the old one out, without any top to it. I'd like to avoid drilling it, so I don't get a bunch of plastic shavings in my expansion tank.

Thanks.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
tinman831
Captain
11
Rep
816
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Heat a screw driver and place on top of screw. Melt a slot into the top, let it cool and twist out?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
129
Rep
3,635
Posts

Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (2)

If you have to drill it coat the bit in vaseline and you won't get chunks in the tank. They also make a brass replacement FYI.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Devant
Banned
6
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
If you have to drill it coat the bit in vaseline and you won't get chunks in the tank. They also make a brass replacement FYI.
+1 on the brass fitting.

I think it is seriously annoying the amount of plastic they use in what is supposed to be a high end car. Plastic reservoir ok but plastic screw plugs..really? Nice job BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
Cbozz's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
1,972
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
I used a screw driver method..... +1
__________________
AA, Akrapovic, Strasse, ‹mnitza, LCI
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
vastano
Captain
31
Rep
799
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (5)

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...tion-list.aspx
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
4857
Rep
18,424
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
Heat a screw driver and place on top of screw. Melt a slot into the top, let it cool and twist out?
Good call
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
2683
Rep
10,657
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthberg View Post
Any brilliant ideas out there for removing half of the coolant expansion tank bleed screw? I was flushing the radiator today, and while I was doing the final bleed, the screw snapped in half (with hardly any torque, which is awesome)....should have seen the fountain of coolant spouting up in the air! So, I'll grab a new one, but I'm having a rough time getting the old one out, without any top to it. I'd like to avoid drilling it, so I don't get a bunch of plastic shavings in my expansion tank.

Thanks.
Mine did the same thing. What I did that worked really well. Take a cutter/razor blade and start making straight lines, deep enough that you can use a flat head screw driver to back it out. Took me about 10-15 mins, but it worked well.

So the top of that left over part should look close to this:
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
dreamspeed's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
1,567
Posts

Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano
Does anyone have a link to a brass screw for the e92 m3? Those screws at turners doesn't fit the m3 according to the list
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
edwinm3
Brigadier General
edwinm3's Avatar
United_States
418
Rep
3,532
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Broward

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Does anyone have a link to a brass screw for the e92 m3? Those screws at turners doesn't fit the m3 according to the list
Yes turner screw does fit the m3, follow this thread

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886184
__________________

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
E90 LCI 335i
6.2 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
dreamspeed's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
1,567
Posts

Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Yes turner screw does fit the m3, follow this thread

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886184
Cool, thanks!

So it looks like BMW part number 11537793373 is for the E92 bleed screw and

17111712788 is the part number for the E46 bleed screw but they are both the same.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
edwinm3
Brigadier General
edwinm3's Avatar
United_States
418
Rep
3,532
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Broward

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Cool, thanks!

So it looks like BMW part number 11537793373 is for the E92 bleed screw and

17111712788 is the part number for the E46 bleed screw but they are both the same.
Glad I could help
__________________

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
E90 LCI 335i
6.2 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #13
JsL
Captain
United_States
170
Rep
811
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP VF620
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

This happened to me while driving! I got the low coolant warning, pulled over and saw coolant spilled all over the engine bay. I was nervously watching my P3 guage coolant temp while driving back home.

The heated flathead screw driver method works. Here's what I did.

1. Dry off the top of the snapped screw.

2. Turn the stove on and leave the flathead screwdriver tip on the flame for 90 each side. I just picked 90 seconds as I didn't want to melt the handle.

3. Walk to the car, presuming the hood is already open of course, center the screwdriver on top of the screw and push the screwdriver in with a little force downward. You should hear a little sizzle. I left it on there for 10 seconds after the sizzle stopped.

4. Repeat step 2 and 3. Resist any temptation to unscrew it while it's hot, that would be counter productive.

5. Wait 3 mins.

6. Unscrew using the notch you just created.

If you're in a pinch to get a replacement bleeder screw, your local parts shop may have the Dorman brand in stock. I used it and it fits fine. $5 for two screws with gasket. I'll be changing mine every 60k miles as preventive maintenance from now on.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST