BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
passing
hey
passing's Avatar
Tanzania
6
Rep
404
Posts

 
Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

iTrader: (4)

CCC ---> CIC Upgrade

Hello Forum,

Forgive me as I promise to have searched left and right.

I am in the process of a CIC upgrade. I have all parts required.. However, I have not proceeded with the install due to the following obstacles:

1- I have no FSC Code or Emulator
2- I have no idea what to code or in what order.

So, my questions are:

1- Which FSC code do I need? I know there are several. What does the FSC code cost? What does an emulator cost? I know the pros/cons to both.. But which is commonly used during these upgrades?
2- Which items must be coded? (As far as I know, Sirius, Premium Sound, etc..) A full list would be appreciated.
3- In what order should these items be coded to work together properly?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
30
Rep
1,694
Posts

 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Coding is not something we can do. There are professionals on this board who can help you out who are based in the USA. There is also Patryk www.bimmer-tech.net who also can help you out. Don't procrastinate, get some professional help.

Recently I did a CIC implant on a '07 car, and I did all the parts swapping but the coding was done by Patryk. You can get help from Tech, Mike Benova to name a couple, who are in USA. These guys are real pros and they do this for a living. Good luck.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
This is what we do. Thanks for the referral aussiem3. Email or PM for a quote.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Malek@MRF's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
3,406
Posts


 
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
We are a Bimmer-tech authorized dealer. One of the few actually.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
ILSMKU's Avatar
No_Country
37
Rep
1,912
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
We are a Bimmer-tech authorized dealer. One of the few actually.
Nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,812
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
Hello Forum,

Forgive me as I promise to have searched left and right.

I am in the process of a CIC upgrade. I have all parts required.. However, I have not proceeded with the install due to the following obstacles:

1- I have no FSC Code or Emulator
2- I have no idea what to code or in what order.

So, my questions are:

1- Which FSC code do I need? I know there are several. What does the FSC code cost? What does an emulator cost? I know the pros/cons to both.. But which is commonly used during these upgrades?
2- Which items must be coded? (As far as I know, Sirius, Premium Sound, etc..) A full list would be appreciated.
3- In what order should these items be coded to work together properly?

Thank you.
1. Best bet is to get a hardware activation box. I have them in stock as well as the retrofit harnesses if you don't want to wire them in. This will negate the need for expensive FSC codes.

2. Depends what you retrofit. Ususally I recode the CIC to match the car it is going into. If you get combox, there are further changes necessary.

3. Doesn't matter, no particular order. If the car the donor CIC came from had the same audio system as you, your sound will work. If not, this will need to be recoded to re-gain the audio functionality. Sirius will require an FSC code if the donor CIC didn't have it, or you can use the sirius tuner from the 2008 cars and skip the FSC requirement.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
30
Rep
1,694
Posts

 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
3. Doesn't matter, no particular order. If the car the donor CIC came from had the same audio system as you, your sound will work. If not, this will need to be recoded to re-gain the audio functionality. Sirius will require an FSC code if the donor CIC didn't have it, or you can use the sirius tuner from the 2008 cars and skip the FSC requirement.
Does this mean in addition to activating the premium sound there are other functionalities that require coding? Like the equalizer etc. My sound hasn't been the same after the CIC implant. When I make changes to the equalizer settings, the gains are minimal. I don't know whether this is me or it's really happening.

Any advice will be appreciated.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
Patrys@BimmerTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Patrys@BimmerTech's Avatar
Poland
85
Rep
1,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Warsaw/Poland

iTrader: (7)

Most people choose our PnP Activation over the OEM Activation since it's much cheaper and they are very happy with their choice.
However you should understand the difference before you choose your preferred activation option.

The OEM activation is 100% software solution based on special activation
codes generated by BMW AG in Germany.
After obtaining the codes they are loaded into the CIC together with your VIN number and the Navigation and/or Voice Control become active.
This is the same activation as done at the factory when the car is built.

The PnP Activation is an aftermarket module which is installed in the car to tamper the communication between the CIC and the rest of the car.
The module can bypass the VIN verification procedure that CIC performs and therefore activate the Navigation and the Voice Control.

Possible consequences of using the aftermarket activation:
- An aftermarket, non-BMW approved hardware can in theory interfere with other electronic modules in the car and cause unpredictable issues.

- Using an aftermarket module means that the CIC will have the VIN of the donor car. The map update will have to be ordered using the VIN stored in the CIC instead of your VIN.

BimmerTech and its authorized dealers can offer you both OEM and PnP activation as well as full retrofit coding.
__________________
BimmerTech
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,812
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Does this mean in addition to activating the premium sound there are other functionalities that require coding? Like the equalizer etc. My sound hasn't been the same after the CIC implant. When I make changes to the equalizer settings, the gains are minimal. I don't know whether this is me or it's really happening.

Any advice will be appreciated.
There are many specific changes in the coding depending on what your vehicle is fitted with. As an example, if you take a CIC unit from a 335 and put it in the M3, you won't have M-Drive functionality.

The equalizer and everything should theoretically work as long as the car that the CIC came from had the same sound system you do. In every car that I have retrofitted with CIC from the CCC, the sound quality and clarity has DRASTICALLY improved. I think that the CIC has much better sound processing capabilities. Not sure specifically what your issue may be, but having it properly coded to the car would alleviate these concerns and ensure that all of the settings are correct and consistent with your vehicle.

Best bet is to have it recoded to spec to match your car as if it came installed from the factory.

In terms of the PnP activation modules, I have had zero issues with the ones that I use. Going the FSC code route is well over 100% more expensive. As Patrys said, if you go with the activation module, map updates will be based off of the donor VIN. Not really an issue as I see it. I can pull the original VIN that the CIC came from remotely for your records to update maps in future years.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
30
Rep
1,694
Posts

 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Thank you very much Mike. Patryk and Co., will be looking at a couple of things on my car tomorrow. I will ask them to have a look at and see if there are any issues and if required, may be a recode. Patryk has been extremely helpful.

A few minutes ago, I had BMW live/Internet retrofitted to my wide 2011 X3 (F25). Works beautifully.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
passing
hey
passing's Avatar
Tanzania
6
Rep
404
Posts

 
Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

iTrader: (4)

meanwhile, i have no emulator.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
VSmotorsports's Avatar
56
Rep
1,633
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
You can also talk to Kris@modmynav, he can help you through the process, we had him help us with a customer we did awhile back
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
18
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

[quote=Mike Benvo;12606814]
The equalizer and everything should theoretically work as long as the car that the CIC came from had the same sound system you do. In every car that I have retrofitted with CIC from the CCC, the sound quality and clarity has DRASTICALLY improved. I think that the CIC has much better sound QUOTE]

I agree, I am thinking about the change over in my ccc. My wife has a 328 that the head unit went out, it was a 08. They replaced it with the newer professional unit that from what we were told has the same internals of a cic M3 unit. She picked up hd radio with the new one and it sounds totally different that it did before. It makes my m3 sound like crap.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
30
Rep
1,694
Posts

 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Not sure specifically what your issue may be, but having it properly coded to the car would alleviate these concerns and ensure that all of the settings are correct and consistent with your vehicle.

Best bet is to have it recoded to spec to match your car as if it came installed from the factory.
At low volume the system sounds crappy compared to my wife's X3 which also has the high-end sound system. The X3 system as you said, is crispy and has clarity, thats lacking in the M3. But turn the volume up in the M3, god, it sound amazing. I am not a person who turns up the volume in everyday driving. When I am in a mood, then yes, just to take something off my mind. Hence me raising the question. I will speak with Men (Bimmer-Tech) today and see what he has to say. Cheers Mike for your insight.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
jacobniell
Private First Class
jacobniell's Avatar
Denmark
1
Rep
168
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
1. Best bet is to get a hardware activation box. I have them in stock as well as the retrofit harnesses if you don't want to wire them in. This will negate the need for expensive FSC codes.

2. Depends what you retrofit. Ususally I recode the CIC to match the car it is going into. If you get combox, there are further changes necessary.

3. Doesn't matter, no particular order. If the car the donor CIC came from had the same audio system as you, your sound will work. If not, this will need to be recoded to re-gain the audio functionality. Sirius will require an FSC code if the donor CIC didn't have it, or you can use the sirius tuner from the 2008 cars and skip the FSC requirement.
Hey I send you a request through your internetsite regarding coding of a CIC unit in my car, but I never heard any thing from you??
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
BlueMonde
F33DM3
BlueMonde's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
299
Posts

 
Drives: E92 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobniell View Post
Hey I send you a request through your internetsite regarding coding of a CIC unit in my car, but I never heard any thing from you??
Performance Tuning Software / Remote Feature Coding
///BPMSport.com - (Very behind - Please allow 3 weeks for email replyor call for faster response)
Email: benvo@bpmsport.com | Tel: (888) 557-5133 | Direct: (310) 488-2418
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
passing
hey
passing's Avatar
Tanzania
6
Rep
404
Posts

 
Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

iTrader: (4)

does anyone have any pinout information for the connector to the HD screen?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
mazda3ndp
Lieutenant
United_States
14
Rep
583
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bergen NJ

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to mazda3ndp
I am pretty sure this is how it goes, but hopefully someone can assert that this is correct
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
phrozen06
NA V8
phrozen06's Avatar
28
Rep
1,553
Posts

 
Drives: 01 330ci, 08 M3 DCT, 08 VW R32
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 39░27'33"N 77░58'04"W W. Virgina, Kansas

iTrader: (2)

gr8 thread
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
passing
hey
passing's Avatar
Tanzania
6
Rep
404
Posts

 
Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda3ndp View Post
I am pretty sure this is how it goes, but hopefully someone can assert that this is correct
thank you, hopefully someone can confirm. (not that i don't believe you...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
gr8 thread
indeed. congratulations on your new car, by the way. you'll love it even more once you get tired of watching paint dry via the CCC. if you have it..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
Dominic_M
Second Lieutenant
Dominic_M's Avatar
2
Rep
251
Posts

 
Drives: 08 ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

where do i get the information to get my CCC to CIC. Just getting a 2008 E90 and would like to upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
passing
hey
passing's Avatar
Tanzania
6
Rep
404
Posts

 
Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic_M View Post
where do i get the information to get my CCC to CIC. Just getting a 2008 E90 and would like to upgrade
i sent you a PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST