BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

SoCal TRACK DAY!: Streets of Willow 07/13/07/14

SoCal TRACK DAY!: Streets of Willow 07/13/07/14

Saturday is a Special Day + Twilight Event!

Price is CHEAP, only $120 for the Day event, which runs from 8am to 3:30 PM
(I don't know of any discount codes right now, but if I hear of any I will post them up)
The Night event is also cheap ($140), and it runs from 4pm to Midnight (the track will have lighting set up)

Sunday is a normal HPDE day, track is hot at 9am all the way to 5pm

If you have any questions, please email them... I will try to help out when I can, but I don't have technical/specific answers:

sung@extremespeedtrackevents.com


Registration link: http://www.extremespeedtrackevents.c...t-registration

There will be Free Timing and Free lunch for ALL drivers who register, as well as Free Basic on track instruction for beginners


Couple photos from previous events: (I suck at taking pics so sorry if they're crappy)



























Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
878
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

How well is the track lit up for the evening events?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
How well is the track lit up for the evening events?
I've only gone out once for twilight myself, and it was fine. But of course, unless you know the track very well, I don't advise going 10/10. and even then, I don't think you should go more than 9/10.

It's a different experience for sure; and what's really cool is watching glowing rotors! that was probably one of my favorite parts lol

Btw how as this weekend? I didn't get to go due to some family obligations that came up (had to take care of my little cousin).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,794
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
just don't try 300 treadwear street tires (Mich PSS) like I did at Big Willow a few weeks ago. ABS and DSC actually became inoperable because I had literally no traction at all in the afternoon session. i don't know what was worse....going off track of not being able to keep up with a stock m-tech 335 lol
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
just don't try 300 treadwear street tires (Mich PSS) like I did at Big Willow a few weeks ago. ABS and DSC actually became inoperable because I had literally no traction at all in the afternoon session. i don't know what was worse....going off track of not being able to keep up with a stock m-tech 335 lol
Although I track on Rs3s, I have drive with PSS before and never had that much issues.

If you're having major traction issues, it could be that you're entering in too hot. Also, your tire pressures could also be way off. Stock is 35 cold, but on hot days you want to be around 27-29 cold.
So if you didn't adjust accordingly, you could have easily been running 45+hot and that would be quite bad.

Also, a stock 335 will be able to murder even a modified M3 depending on the driver (both in the 335 and in the M3). So not being able to keep up with a stock 335 isn't a bad thing.
S2ks, 370Zs, BRZs with good drivers can easily drive faster than a regular driver in a M3.

On a road course, it's all about the driver and how s/he knows the track, the lines, braking points, etc etc.

Big Willow, while being lest technical than SOW or BRP, still requires experience to go fast (and some big balls). The best way to pick up time for M3s is to go flat out through T8.

I remember when I had my M3, at my first track day I would go through T9 at around 100, maybe 110. Later one, although I wasn't able to look at my gauge much, I would be going around 125-130ish (as I would be flat out exiting T6/7 all the way to T9, where I would need to brake).

So although tires, suspension, brake pads etc are very very important, first the foremost comes driver experience, which only comes with more seat time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,794
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Although I track on Rs3s, I have drive with PSS before and never had that much issues.

If you're having major traction issues, it could be that you're entering in too hot. Also, your tire pressures could also be way off. Stock is 35 cold, but on hot days you want to be around 27-29 cold.
So if you didn't adjust accordingly, you could have easily been running 45+hot and that would be quite bad.

Also, a stock 335 will be able to murder even a modified M3 depending on the driver (both in the 335 and in the M3). So not being able to keep up with a stock 335 isn't a bad thing.
S2ks, 370Zs, BRZs with good drivers can easily drive faster than a regular driver in a M3.

On a road course, it's all about the driver and how s/he knows the track, the lines, braking points, etc etc.

Big Willow, while being lest technical than SOW or BRP, still requires experience to go fast (and some big balls). The best way to pick up time for M3s is to go flat out through T8.

I remember when I had my M3, at my first track day I would go through T9 at around 100, maybe 110. Later one, although I wasn't able to look at my gauge much, I would be going around 125-130ish (as I would be flat out exiting T6/7 all the way to T9, where I would need to brake).

So although tires, suspension, brake pads etc are very very important, first the foremost comes driver experience, which only comes with more seat time.
in the cold PSS are fine.

i started my after-lunch session at 28/29 psi and they only got up to 36psi max. tire pressure wasn't the issue. the tires actually turned very greasy from the heat of the track after a few laps. and with over 600 HP, I was spinning the rear wheels all the time. When you do that ABS and DSC turn themselves off. my dash and NAV actually were lit up like christmas. it was surreal. Lesson learned - don't track with PSS (or any 300 tread wear tire for that matter) when temps are hot.

i did a 1:38.1 lap when it was 80+ degrees out before lunch...but when i went out after lunch it was 97 degrees and the track temp neared 150 degrees, i should not have gone out there with street tires. I couldn't break 1:50 as I was sliding everywhere.

A prius with R-compounds could have been faster than me.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
in the cold PSS are fine.

i started my after-lunch session at 28/29 psi and they only got up to 36psi max. tire pressure wasn't the issue. the tires actually turned very greasy from the heat of the track after a few laps. and with over 600 HP, I was spinning the rear wheels all the time. When you do that ABS and DSC turn themselves off. my dash and NAV actually were lit up like christmas. it was surreal. Lesson learned - don't track with PSS (or any 300 tread wear tire for that matter) when temps are hot.

i did a 1:38.1 lap when it was 80+ degrees out before lunch...but when i went out after lunch it was 97 degrees and the track temp neared 150 degrees, i should not have gone out there with street tires. I couldn't break 1:50 as I was sliding everywhere.

A prius with R-compounds could have been faster than me.
Well yes, PSS are not track tires. I didn't know you had that much power... You need RS3s at the minimum man, if not TDs! PSS are great for a DD tire, but not to track with 600hp on a hot day!

I didn't know you had that much power. damn. that much be killer at big willow for T8 and the straight.

I always run my RS3s ~36-38 hot. usually drop the driver side about 2-3 psi lower (so like 26-28 cold depending on the temps that day) than the passenger side due to T8. I miss big willow....

Depending on my mood, I turn DSC off, so I wouldn't know about those lights going off. I can't imagine having 600hp and not making DSC go crazy lol.

ABS only gave me an issue at ACS after I had installed my Stoptech Trophy BBK with Endless MX20 pads. I wasn't used to the bite and kept causing ABS to kick in. took me a little bit to get used to it. I miss those pads... they were loud, but they stopped so well.

My fastest time in my e93 was only 1:36. All my friends who were around mid to high 30s are all now in the low 30s. I have fallen behind :/

I did a 1:51 in a friend's stock 528i with runflats! lol. that was one extremely comfortable track day
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,794
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Well yes, PSS are not track tires. I didn't know you had that much power... You need RS3s at the minimum man, if not TDs! PSS are great for a DD tire, but not to track with 600hp on a hot day!

I didn't know you had that much power. damn. that much be killer at big willow for T8 and the straight.

I always run my RS3s ~36-38 hot. usually drop the driver side about 2-3 psi lower (so like 26-28 cold depending on the temps that day) than the passenger side due to T8. I miss big willow....

Depending on my mood, I turn DSC off, so I wouldn't know about those lights going off. I can't imagine having 600hp and not making DSC go crazy lol.

ABS only gave me an issue at ACS after I had installed my Stoptech Trophy BBK with Endless MX20 pads. I wasn't used to the bite and kept causing ABS to kick in. took me a little bit to get used to it. I miss those pads... they were loud, but they stopped so well.

My fastest time in my e93 was only 1:36. All my friends who were around mid to high 30s are all now in the low 30s. I have fallen behind :/

I did a 1:51 in a friend's stock 528i with runflats! lol. that was one extremely comfortable track day
"only" a 1:36?? you my friend probably have the track record for a convertible M3!

Yeah I'm looking at some 18" apex ec-7's with either rs3's or nitto nt-01's. I've already bent/replaced my stock ZCP wheels and then nicked/gauged the crap out of them from track abuse so for many reasons track wheels/tires are a must.

Good luck out there and hopefully we get some clouds for you guys that weekend.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
"only" a 1:36?? you my friend probably have the track record for a convertible M3!

Yeah I'm looking at some 18" apex ec-7's with either rs3's or nitto nt-01's. I've already bent/replaced my stock ZCP wheels and then nicked/gauged the crap out of them from track abuse so for many reasons track wheels/tires are a must.

Good luck out there and hopefully we get some clouds for you guys that weekend.
I should also note that I'm a ~250lb driver.... If I stopped eating like a fat ass and dropped under 200 again, it would maybe help ! haha
Maybe I have the vert m3 record lol but considering how few people track their e93s, it's a small pool

Well although I wasn't as modified as some, I did have my share of mods. Dinan springs+camber plates, Volk TE37SLs with RS3s, Akra Evo, OE Tune, MS filter.
I remember I would actually pull on my friends who had stock E90/92s even though I had an e93. Not sure if it's mainly because I exited the corner at a high speed, or because of the power bump from the Akra Evo+OE Tune (ironically though, my car only dynoed at 35Xwhp with all my mods lol. I was a low 32Xwhp stock...probably one of the lowest numbers you would see! It was on Gintani/OE's dyno, not sure what kind of dyno they have)

I love my EC7s! Definitely a great choice. I got them from EAS, Steve or Tom can help you out for sure
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
878
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

I have RS3s on my GT3 and I love those tires (the guy who works on my car races cup cars and he said they are one of the best street/track combo tires you can get). I left after the 3rd run because it was getting so damn hot and my traction control started going off in my last few laps because the tires were getting a little greasy. My best time was a 1.38...not bad for first time at the track. I think I could have gone 1.35 or so if it wasn't so damn hot.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I have RS3s on my GT3 and I love those tires (the guy who works on my car races cup cars and he said they are one of the best street/track combo tires you can get). I left after the 3rd run because it was getting so damn hot and my traction control started going off in my last few laps because the tires were getting a little greasy. My best time was a 1.38...not bad for first time at the track. I think I could have gone 1.35 or so if it wasn't so damn hot.
Never driven a GT3 at BW so not sure lol. my first time in my stock m3 was bad... i think like 1.45? 1.47? i forgot.

I love RS3s. only issue with them is they're rather noisy for DD and don't last long

But I wouldn't want to drive a sports car without them, I'm spoiled
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Oh wow, picture of my car from SoW on 07/30/2011.

That was my track day #7.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Oh wow, picture of my car from SoW on 07/30/2011.

That was my track day #7.
yup! I was going through my album and saw it.

Can't believe you remember which track # it was for you lol
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
878
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Never driven a GT3 at BW so not sure lol. my first time in my stock m3 was bad... i think like 1.45? 1.47? i forgot.

I love RS3s. only issue with them is they're rather noisy for DD and don't last long

But I wouldn't want to drive a sports car without them, I'm spoiled
Since I put the Fabspeed exhaust on I doubt that I can hear any tire noise. haha My buddy and I are considering going up to the July 21st BW track event.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Since I put the Fabspeed exhaust on I doubt that I can hear any tire noise. haha My buddy and I are considering going up to the July 21st BW track event.
haha I can see that

Who's hosting BW 21st?

Depending on the heat and whatnot, I want to go to BRP on the 20th (I prefer Sat track days over Sunday)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
878
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
haha I can see that

Who's hosting BW 21st?

Depending on the heat and whatnot, I want to go to BRP on the 20th (I prefer Sat track days over Sunday)
Extreme Track Events is going to be at BW on July 20/21.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Extreme Track Events is going to be at BW on July 20/21.
BW= Big Willow
BPR= Buttonwillow Raceway Park

. That's why I wasn't sure what you meant.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

The discount code is Sow15, and it reduces the price to $85 for the day! twilight12 for the night, making it only $120!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #19
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
yup! I was going through my album and saw it.

Can't believe you remember which track # it was for you lol
My memory ain't that good. I just document things like that, along with best lap time on the day, tires run, car setup, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
BW= Big Willow
BPR= Buttonwillow Raceway Park

. That's why I wasn't sure what you meant.
Yeah, that "BW" is confusing. Either spell it out, or

WSIR = Big Willow
SoW = Streets of Willow
BRP = Buttonwillow Raceway Park
ACS = Auto Club Speedway
CVR = Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

You guys mentioning times are referring to big willow not streets right? 1:39 at sow - no way not that high in an m3 right?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,811
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
You guys mentioning times are referring to big willow not streets right? 1:39 at sow - no way not that high in an m3 right?
lol yeah we were talking mostly about big willow

my fastest time at SOW in my e93 was 1.29 :/ (CCW)

my z4 (on stock runflats) was 1.33 (CCW)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #22
ReD-DaWg-OnE
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (0)

What would you guys recommend I need to do or be prepared for on my first ever track day?


Is the masking off of the car needed?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST