BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
MINHS Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
jaehshim
Captain
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
833
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (2)

Spring Upgrade

Generally, all aftermarket springs will be "more" stiffer than the OEM ones,
but out of all those, which ones are the most OEM-like or softest ?

thanks,
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
swifty
Major
33
Rep
1,407
Posts

Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Generally, all aftermarket springs will be "more" stiffer than the OEM ones,
but out of all those, which ones are the most OEM-like or softest ?

thanks,
I believe the consensus here is Eibach though it drops the least.

If you have EDC I would go with Swifts though. So many threads on all the different springs. Just do a search.
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335

Current: '13 FO e92 M3, Swifts, Akra Evo ... otherwise trying to stay OEM as possible!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
jaehshim
Captain
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
833
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I believe the consensus here is Eibach though it drops the least.

If you have EDC I would go with Swifts though. So many threads on all the different springs. Just do a search.
I do have EDC, why do Swift springs have advantages with EDC over other products? I thought EDC technically is compatible with all OEM + aftermarket springs ..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
slicer
Brigadier General
slicer's Avatar
71
Rep
4,036
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (20)

The least drop and most OEM-like option is Dinan. Eibach is next on the list. All springs with work with EDC. I had Eibachs and found them to be a good option for street use. Slightly lower ride height with a comfortable ride. Coilovers will perform far better with more aggressive street use and on the track. Springs are sufficient if you are not going to the track.
__________________
'13 M3 - Silverstone II - Sold
'04 M3 - Jet Black - BBS E88, KW Clubsports
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
swifty
Major
33
Rep
1,407
Posts

Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
I do have EDC, why do Swift springs have advantages with EDC over other products? I thought EDC technically is compatible with all OEM + aftermarket springs ..
With EDC the Swifts feel ALMOST the same as OEM. However, all springs will work with EDC but I do think the linear springs from Swift is superior in many ways over all the other ones on the market.

Slicer is correct in suggesting Dinan but I believe the price they ask is ridiculous and you hardly notice the drop. Mind as well just get ZCP springs if you don't have it.
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335

Current: '13 FO e92 M3, Swifts, Akra Evo ... otherwise trying to stay OEM as possible!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
520
Rep
11,919
Posts


Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (31)

My opinions may be biased, but the Swift is probably the best bang for your money. Linear rate, not too much drop(others drop too much and you will ride on the bump stops) and near OE like ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
jaehshim
Captain
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
833
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
My opinions may be biased, but the Swift is probably the best bang for your money. Linear rate, not too much drop(others drop too much and you will ride on the bump stops) and near OE like ride.
I think your opinion is biased
Swift springs drop the most, which means Swift then ride on bumps stops most likely

Swift springs drop front 1.0 in, rear 0.75 in
Eibach Pro drop front 0.8 in, rear 0.6 in
H&R sport + Plus drop front 1.0 in, rear 0.6 in
RD springs drop front 1.0 in, rear 0.7 in

But you made me go ahead and search all the springs, thanks
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:26 AM   #8
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
520
Rep
11,919
Posts


Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
I think your opinion is biased
Swift springs drop the most, which means Swift then ride on bumps stops most likely

Swift springs drop front 1.0 in, rear 0.75 in
Eibach Pro drop front 0.8 in, rear 0.6 in
H&R sport + Plus drop front 1.0 in, rear 0.6 in
RD springs drop front 1.0 in, rear 0.7 in

But you made me go ahead and search all the springs, thanks
The opposite is true. That is how the E36 bump stops came about when people constantly bottom on their H&R or Eibach springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
SilentAttack's Avatar
31
Rep
1,644
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Swift for sure. Pull the trigger you will thank me later.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
94
Rep
5,807
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I've ran Dinan springs for the past 3 years. It's a subtle drop with a minimal difference in comfort. And they do great on the track.

The kit is pricey. The only unique parts are the shock mounts. I believe you can buy a Dinan suspension travel kit and just buy whatever springs you want.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Evolve-US
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Evolve-US's Avatar
4
Rep
304
Posts


Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

B&G springs are nice as well, clean drop with a bit stiffer feel then OEM
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
swifty
Major
33
Rep
1,407
Posts

Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
The opposite is true. That is how the E36 bump stops came about when people constantly bottom on their H&R or Eibach springs.
Also I installed the swifts without the e36 bumpstops even though i had them. The 1st week I took it to the road where I would frequently bottom out on my 335 with tcklines and the Linear springs never came close to hitting the bumpstops.

The reason why most of us are telling you to go with Swifts is because we can vouch for the product from experience. I've sat in car with H&R and the ride is bouncy. The eibachs & Dinan hardly drop the car in comparison to ZCP so it wasn't worth it to me.
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Olds, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335

Current: '13 FO e92 M3, Swifts, Akra Evo ... otherwise trying to stay OEM as possible!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
520
Rep
11,919
Posts


Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Also I installed the swifts without the e36 bumpstops even though i had them. The 1st week I took it to the road where I would frequently bottom out on my 335 with tcklines and the Linear springs never came close to hitting the bumpstops.

The reason why most of us are telling you to go with Swifts is because we can vouch for the product from experience. I've sat in car with H&R and the ride is bouncy. The eibachs & Dinan hardly drop the car in comparison to ZCP so it wasn't worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST