BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
tyrewt
6
Captain
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

increased emissions & battery discharge warning in cold?

Weather was cold over night -16C (3.2F) car started fine. 8 hours later comfort access didn't work and two warnings displayed: Increased emissions and Increased battery discharge.

I can't make it to the dealer in winter. Has anyone experienced this effect due to cold?
tyrewt is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
tyrewt
6
Captain
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Update: Increased battery discharge went away after the drive home. Increased emissions went away after parking for an hour and then another 10 min drive.
tyrewt is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
schnell325
38
Bored at work....
 
schnell325's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

Posts: 3,867
iTrader: (5)

Better get her on a battery charger!!!
schnell325 is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Mike Benvo
47
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,743
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325
Better get her on a battery charger!!!
+1. Battery issues will cause all sorts of errors and quirky issues on these cars. The cold weather doesn't help!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
tyrewt
6
Captain
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Thanks. Charged over night, but only took an hour. Most likely just dipped below the 70% threshold. Should I be replacing my battery anyway?
tyrewt is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
vm
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 207
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
Thanks. Charged over night, but only took an hour. Most likely just dipped below the 70% threshold. Should I be replacing my battery anyway?
Yes, you should. Your battery is probably in its last legs.
vm is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
MysticBlue
12
Major
 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
Weather was cold over night -16C (3.2F) car started fine. 8 hours later comfort access didn't work and two warnings displayed:
8 hours later, but how much of that was parked and how long was the drive? A battery that is close to it's end of life will definitely be pushed that last little bit by colder weather, but the length of the daily commute is also a factor. If it's a short drive then parked all day, day after day, that also tends to push the battery to the end of it's life a little faster. How old is your car?
__________________
Active Autowerke filter, Dinan underdrive pulley, Dinan full exhaust and software, 3.45 Differential, Springs, Brakes, Dinan/HRE wheels, 275/30-19 w/10mm spacer, 295/30-19 w/3mm spacer, painted front reflectors, 30% tint, Escort 8500i & Lidar Jammer, AngeliBright halos, Euro rear foglights, 3M ClearBra.
MysticBlue is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Veegie
0
Private
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Redmond, WA

Posts: 82
iTrader: (1)

I quite literally just had my battery replaced 3 months ago, and I'm facing all of the above symptoms now that the cold weather has begun.
I commute 24 miles round trip every day.
Do I have to replace my battery again? Or are these symptoms nothing to worry about, and will be fine once Spring comes around?
__________________
Veegie is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
tyrewt
6
Captain
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
8 hours later, but how much of that was parked and how long was the drive? A battery that is close to it's end of life will definitely be pushed that last little bit by colder weather, but the length of the daily commute is also a factor. If it's a short drive then parked all day, day after day, that also tends to push the battery to the end of it's life a little faster. How old is your car?
Parked the entire 8 hours. Drive in the morning is 10 mins, parked for 8, drive home 10 mins. Daily commute is a factor obviously. Car is a 2010, battery replaced in 2011 under warranty.

Both issues are gone now that I charged. Made a point of driving a bit more over the weekend too.
tyrewt is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
tyrewt
6
Captain
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

What is the average cost of replacement and installation for a battery?
tyrewt is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
clomeli21
0
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 // e93
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
What is the average cost of replacement and installation for a battery?
I just paid $489.90 for a new battery (installed) from dealer here in Texas.
clomeli21 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
Savage_M3
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Savage_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston

Posts: 277
iTrader: (1)

I've gotten both warnings on real cold evenings. The Increased Emissions only occurred once and then went away a day later. The Increased Battery Discharge happens more often on very cold days.

I had them check it out when the car was for service and they measured the battery and said it was fine. The dealer suggested that it would stay latched if it was a serious issue with the battery. It goes away if I restart the car and does not seem to latch in the fault state. If I still see this warning when the weather warms up, I'll be taking it back in for service.
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan - Jerez Black, DCT, Comp, Navi, etc...
Savage_M3 is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
pekane
0
Very Old M3 Guy
 
Drives: 2008 Silverstone Metallic E92,
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

$601 battery, install, tax. San Diego. Ouch!
pekane is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
70X200
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: No where in particular

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekane View Post
$601 battery, install, tax. San Diego. Ouch!
Yikes! I paid 298.00 out the door with my Indy. Imola Motorsports in Minneapolis, they are the best!
70X200 is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #15
nomoreZ06
0
New Member
 
Drives: 08 Black E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

I had similiar problem and it was the alternator. Mine is daily driver. Overtime I got similiar issues and they only got more freqeunt ( once a month range ).
Alternator is expensive ($1K) and had to ship from the fatherland.
__________________
1999 Ford Countour SVT (gone)
2001 Corvette Z06 (gone)
2008 E90 M3 ( enjoying now )
nomoreZ06 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #16
kenwelch
4
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

A low capacity (worn-out) battery will make the alternator work harder/overheat and burnout the internal diodes. Now you will need a new alternator and battery.
kenwelch is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2014, 01:42 AM   #17
Vic311
14
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
A low capacity (worn-out) battery will make the alternator work harder/overheat and burnout the internal diodes. Now you will need a new alternator and battery.
But that would only happen over an extended period of time using a weak battery. The sign would be that you constantly needed to recharge or jump it.

Most people, once they experience a weak battery will opt to replace it.
Vic311 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
kenwelch
4
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Most people, once they experience a weak battery will opt to replace it.
IF only this were true. After teaching automotive classes for 40 years, I have seen many that will jump start, push start, or use a jump-n-carry to keep it going. I have also seen many jump start a very dead battery (won't light the headlights low) and then expect the alternator to work full time (100% duty cycle) to recharge the battery.

The alternator and it's cooling was designed for refilling the battery after normal starting discharge and to provide additional power with the engine running. It was not designed to provide all the power and recharge a dead battery. The excess heat will cause a diode to fail. The average tech will replace the whole alternator not just the failed diode. A rebuilt Alternator/generator listed on RealOem.com is $645 dealer price not including labor.
kenwelch is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #19
Vic311
14
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
IF only this were true. After teaching automotive classes for 40 years, I have seen many that will jump start, push start, or use a jump-n-carry to keep it going. I have also seen many jump start a very dead battery (won't light the headlights low) and then expect the alternator to work full time (100% duty cycle) to recharge the battery.

The alternator and it's cooling was designed for refilling the battery after normal starting discharge and to provide additional power with the engine running. It was not designed to provide all the power and recharge a dead battery. The excess heat will cause a diode to fail. The average tech will replace the whole alternator not just the failed diode. A rebuilt Alternator/generator listed on RealOem.com is $645 dealer price not including labor.
Totally agree. Most people I guess aren't full aware of how a charging system in a car works. Much easier and cheaper to swap a weak battery.

Strange when people keep re-charging an already weak battery as if that will some how restore it. Once weakened, the fluid inside cannot flow electrons efficiently anymore and it has to be changed.
Vic311 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
M3-S65
8
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 886
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Totally agree. Most people I guess aren't full aware of how a charging system in a car works. Much easier and cheaper to swap a weak battery.

Strange when people keep re-charging an already weak battery as if that will some how restore it. Once weakened, the fluid inside cannot flow electrons efficiently anymore and it has to be changed.
Easy to change a battery, however like everything else on this car its a pain in the ass because you have to get it registered. I believe I read the ECS will continue to treat the new battery as it was the old battery if you don't. So you have to brave the waters of the dreaded service department who will scratch or break something else as they register your battery. Make an appointment, drop it off, wait for it...yuk ...anyone know how to register it so the car knows its a new battery and does not continue to treat it like the old one?

Last edited by M3-S65; 02-23-2014 at 09:12 PM.
M3-S65 is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #21
RealStig
5
Banned
 
RealStig's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NJ

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

You need to drive the shit out of her, no battery issues here after 3 years 30k miles.
RealStig is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #22
Vic311
14
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
Easy to change a battery, however like everything else on this car its a pain in the ass because you have to get it registered. I believe I read the ECS will continue to treat the new battery as it was the old battery if you don't. So you have to brave the waters of the dreaded service department who will scratch or break something else as they register your battery. Make an appointment, drop it off, wait for it...yuk ...anyone know how to register it so the car knows its a new battery and does not continue to treat it like the old one?
You can register the s65 battery with a free software called BMWLogger.

https://www.google.com/#q=BMW+Logger

(Click on the option for the MSS65, scroll to the bottom of the page where it says Download - and depending on if you have Windows or MAC select the appropriate icon.)

This is a free version (good for battery registration) there is a full version which costs depending on the option you choose and has more functionality.

Per their website "Recommended Cable Type For K-Line Is The Blue VAG KKL OBD2 Cable With FT232RL Chip or the EOBD2 Galletto Cable"

I purchased the Blue VAG KKL OBD2 Cable With FT232RL Chip off ebay for $10.
Vic311 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST