BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
minneapolism3
New Member
 
Drives: '08 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MN

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Lost Ball Bearing for Paddle Shifter

Well s***, I was installing the Verstraβe paddle shifters in my car and got the down paddle installed fine, but when I did the up paddle the ball bearing fell out and is nowhere to be found. I was being an idiot and attempted to install them in the car without detaching the wires from the steering wheel. Anyone know where I could pick up an extra ball bearing? Would the dealership be able to get it for me? Any help is appreciated.
minneapolism3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
surlynkid
Captain
 
surlynkid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 852
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolism3 View Post
Well s***, I was installing the Verstraβe paddle shifters in my car and got the down paddle installed fine, but when I did the up paddle the ball bearing fell out and is nowhere to be found. I was being an idiot and attempted to install them in the car without detaching the wires from the steering wheel. Anyone know where I could pick up an extra ball bearing? Would the dealership be able to get it for me? Any help is appreciated.
take the other one out, mic it to get the OD and then go to a gun shop to get a shotgun shell pellet the same size. from doing mine, i would just guess you are somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 shot, but measure it to be sure. dealer will probably make you buy entire assembly.
surlynkid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
serranot
Second Lieutenant
 
serranot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
take the other one out, mic it to get the OD and then go to a gun shop to get a shotgun shell pellet the same size. from doing mine, i would just guess you are somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 shot, but measure it to be sure. dealer will probably make you buy entire assembly.
Don't get lead shot.
serranot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Parkanzky
Private First Class
 
Drives: '10 SGM M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Measure the old part, but then go to McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) and search for "steel ball." They'll have bearing grade steel balls in whatever size you need.
Parkanzky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
minneapolism3
New Member
 
Drives: '08 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MN

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
Measure the old part, but then go to McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) and search for "steel ball." They'll have bearing grade steel balls in whatever size you need.
Nice this is perfect. Thanks for the help. Don't mean to ask too much but if anyone knows what size they are that would be awesome. I have the whole assembly put back together and it's a pain to get it undone again.
minneapolism3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
minneapolism3
New Member
 
Drives: '08 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MN

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

So I just measured the ball bearing and got 5/32" diameter. Just for reference if anyone else runs into this problem
minneapolism3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
surlynkid
Captain
 
surlynkid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 852
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
Don't get lead shot.
correct. he would want steel shot.

5/32 is a lot bigger than i remember when i did mine. that is right in between #1 and #2 shot. i would go the mcmaster carr route. you will easily get 5/32 steel balls there. may have to get 50 though.
surlynkid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,579
iTrader: (3)

this reminds of those problems when you drop some small part into the rails of the seats or under them and they clunk down somewhere hard to reach. Such a pain for short term clumsiness, I feel your pain...

Glad you figured it out!
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST