BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

OEM brake pads causing rust spotting?

My car is on its original brake pads & rotors with around 53k on the clock. I'm not sure what the deal is, but over the last few months the car got coated with rust flakes. It was the worst on the rear of the car (from the suction I guess) and was also sprayed on the sides. I didn't have this problem until the winter hit.

Are the OEM pads doing this?

Admittedly this is my first white car so maybe just the lack of routine washing in the winter is to blame?
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Amirsm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Amirsm3's Avatar
18
Rep
1,635
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Williams/Flagstaff, AZ

iTrader: (2)

Pics would help. Do these "rust flakes" go away with a wipe?
__________________
2011 e90 M3 Space Grey DCT- black eAs gills/grilles, eAs H8 LED Corona bulbs, BMW carbon fiber mirror caps, Agency Power CF elbow, MS 12f/12r spacers, Alex@AlpineMSS DCT Flash, iND reflectors, Milltek slip-on, F10 M5 front brakes, BMW Perf. steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Pics would help. Do these "rust flakes" go away with a wipe?
Iron X takes them right off.

I should probably revise my original post -- it's not like the paint is rusting, it's just iron flakes or something.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Amirsm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Amirsm3's Avatar
18
Rep
1,635
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Williams/Flagstaff, AZ

iTrader: (2)

Ah I see.
__________________
2011 e90 M3 Space Grey DCT- black eAs gills/grilles, eAs H8 LED Corona bulbs, BMW carbon fiber mirror caps, Agency Power CF elbow, MS 12f/12r spacers, Alex@AlpineMSS DCT Flash, iND reflectors, Milltek slip-on, F10 M5 front brakes, BMW Perf. steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
Semi-Poor's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Iron X takes them right off.

I should probably revise my original post -- it's not like the paint is rusting, it's just iron flakes or something.

It is almost always rail dust particulates blooming. IronX and or IronX paste along with claying will fix you right up. Follow up with polish and LSP be good as new.
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe Melbourne RedÖhlins Road & Track, MPE Exhaust, Brembo GT 380 BBK, HRE S104 Wheels, iND Painted License Plate Frame, M3 Painted Rear Badge, BMW M3 Edition Grills & Gills, BMW Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
dparm
Major
dparm's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor View Post
It is almost always rail dust particulates blooming. IronX and or IronX paste along with claying will fix you right up. Follow up with polish and LSP be good as new.

Odd because I don't drive or live near railroad tracks. Shrug.

Are the OEM pads semi-metallic or metallic?
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
Semi-Poor's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Odd because I don't drive or live near railroad tracks. Shrug.

Are the OEM pads semi-metallic or metallic?
Sorry did not explain fully enough. Light colored vehicles exhibit these red or rust colored spots frequently. The term "rail dust" originated when cars were transported by rail and exposed, the rail dust settled on the cars. I was using the term generically (detailing geek, sorry) The particles that cause the spots can come from many sources; trains, rust from other cars on the road, industrial fallout and yes disk brakes. It is important to remove as I described, especially before the summer sun comes and bakes it into the clearcoat. IronX and clay should do it as I said. Hope that helps.
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe Melbourne RedÖhlins Road & Track, MPE Exhaust, Brembo GT 380 BBK, HRE S104 Wheels, iND Painted License Plate Frame, M3 Painted Rear Badge, BMW M3 Edition Grills & Gills, BMW Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor View Post
Sorry did not explain fully enough. Light colored vehicles exhibit these red or rust colored spots frequently. The term "rail dust" originated when cars were transported by rail and exposed, the rail dust settled on the cars. I was using the term generically (detailing geek, sorry) The particles that cause the spots can come from many sources; trains, rust from other cars on the road, industrial fallout and yes disk brakes. It is important to remove as I described, especially before the summer sun comes and bakes it into the clearcoat. IronX and clay should do it as I said. Hope that helps.
+1 to all of this.

Additionally, the problem is likely worse in winter do to the brakes rusting more often from rain/snow/wetroads/road salt/etc
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST