BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0

Would you let a bodyshop rapaint a part if they didn't do it right?

Long story short I got a new bumper after someone hit me and a recomended body shop by bmw painted it completely wrong. I told my insurance and they told me theres nothing they can do because its not a guaranteed shop by them and they said that they talked to them and now they want to repaint it. I also told bmw and they also said they would talk to the bodyshop.

So right now I have two options.
1. I can go and get it repainted for free at the same bodyshop (but i dont trust them)

2. I can go to another body shop that said they can get it right but I have to pay $300 for them to test to get the paint right and probably another $300 to get them to paint it. Then more for the clear bra.

What do you guys think? What would you do? The manager at the first body shop sounded nice and said that he would do anything for them to satisfy their customers especially from BMW. If I chose 2 should I get lawyers involved after the painting is done?

Pic for those who didnt see in my past threads:
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

holy shit...
      01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

EXACT same thing happened to me. Take it back to those fucking idiots..

I've had my bumper repainted on my AW b/c the previous owner had mounted some sort of weird front bumper plate and there were like 9 screw holes in the bumper... which the dealer deceitfully tried to cover up w/ a dealer plate/tag.

When I removed it after signing the papers, I said no no and they offered to paint it for me.

The dealership bodyship painted it Mineral White or something like that, which looks like your car, because it had pearl in it.

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it parked inside the service bay.. In the dark I would have noticed it was the wrong color. I made my SA and the Service Manager feel so stupid that it was handled immediately.

I also switched dealerships immediately after.

Either they completely don't care or are just that stupid.. I would just try to involve yourself as much as possible during the process to oversee the repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

not THAT bumper again. Oy.

Make your insurance company foot the bill to get it right - your contract is with THEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...2#post13394672

wat duh??
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeti View Post
not THAT bumper again. Oy.

Make your insurance company foot the bill to get it right - your contract is with THEM.
Yes but its not a recomended insured shop by my insurance. They said I chose it and I only chose it because bmw recomended it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
The second thread was a repost by accident. Dont know how to delete threads lol... my bad
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
EXACT same thing happened to me. Take it back to those fucking idiots..

I've had my bumper repainted on my AW b/c the previous owner had mounted some sort of weird front bumper plate and there were like 9 screw holes in the bumper... which the dealer deceitfully tried to cover up w/ a dealer plate/tag.

When I removed it after signing the papers, I said no no and they offered to paint it for me.

The dealership bodyship painted it Mineral White or something like that, which looks like your car, because it had pearl in it.

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it parked inside the service bay.. In the dark I would have noticed it was the wrong color. I made my SA and the Service Manager feel so stupid that it was handled immediately.

I also switched dealerships immediately after.

Either they completely don't care or are just that stupid.. I would just try to involve yourself as much as possible during the process to oversee the repair.
Ill try to oversee it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
What's the worst that can happen if you allow them to repaint?? It's not a big deal. If they don't match it right again, then you can claim that this shop can't paint correctly and the insurance should allow you to go to another shop with no additional charges. By law, you can take it to whatever shop you want. The insurance company can only recommend places, they cannot force you to use a certain one.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
What's the worst that can happen if you allow them to repaint?? It's not a big deal. If they don't match it right again, then you can claim that this shop can't paint correctly and the insurance should allow you to go to another shop with no additional charges. By law, you can take it to whatever shop you want. The insurance company can only recommend places, they cannot force you to use a certain one.
Correct info here.

That paint match is horrendous.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
True this.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Let the body shop try again. If they get it right, great! And free! And if not, you simply have the same problem as now.

Suggestion: Go sit down with the body shop manager, make sure he/she understands the problem, and agree on your expectations and what constitutes success (e.g. "better" is not okay, "perfect" is okay). Have it clear in their mind too.

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
When it comes to body and paint shops I don't believe in second chances. I had something like this happen to me, and I took the car somewhere else and had the first body-shop pay for it. It was a hassle, but the second shop did it perfectly.
I'll try to get them to pay for it
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
GBMW6612
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3M

My wife had a 2010 335xi and a person backed into us while we were driving in a parking lot. Called our BMW dealer and they recommended a shop. Had the car done and it was the worse job I have ever seen dirt in the paint over spray on the hood and trunk sand marks etc. I let them redo the car it was their dime this time and the owner promised me it would be it right. It was and I was happy but I will never take a vehicle back to that shop. Car is now gone and we are enjoying a 2013 M3.
Appreciate 0