BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

GTB Performance

08-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
USCTrojanMan29
Captain

Drives: Purple People Eater

Question Thoughts on Hooked on Driving (Northern California)?

I signed up with Hooked on Driving (HOD) for their Friday, Sept 5th event at Thunderhill between the private track day on Thursday and the PCA GGR event on Sat/Sun. Haven't driven with them before so curious on what I should expect. Do they put on good events? Any things to watch out for?
      08-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Z K
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Hooked on Driving has some of the most well organized track days in Northern California. I've ran and instructed with them before. Great group.
      08-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Shaung
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

I have done a bunch of events in the with HOD. Their events are well run and professional.
      08-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo

HOD is probably one of the best run group I've ever dealt with outside of the marquee clubs.
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
      08-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
FogCityM3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: M3 (E90)

Well-run group in terms of organization, safety, and quality of instruction. Would use them, BMW CCA or PCA for HDPE if you want to learn how to drive properly and be safe while doing it. These are the only 3 I would recommend in Norcal.
BPM Stage I Dev Tune | MPE Cat-Back Exhaust | ATS Superlight 19" Wheels | Essex/AP-Racing Lightweight BBK | Cantrell Motorsports Brake Ducts | Dinan Pulley | Dinan CF Strut Braces | Dinan CF Elbow | Göke Carbontechnik CF Plenum | Technocraft Envy Intake | BMW M Perf E Steering Wheel | BMW CF Splitters/Spoiler/Mirror Caps | M Perf Pedals | M5 Shift Knob | BMW OEM Grills/Gills/Hood Vents
      08-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Z K
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Well-run group in terms of organization, safety, and quality of instruction. Would use them, BMW CCA or PCA for HDPE if you want to learn how to drive properly and be safe while doing it. These are the only 3 I would recommend in Norcal.
If you have experience and are looking for seat time, there are a lot of other quality groups that run track days.

I am also a fan of NCRC, Speed SF and Blacktrax. All run good events and have friendly people. NCRC has some of the lowest pricing for track time of any group in Northern California.
      08-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
USCTrojanMan29
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
If you have experience and are looking for seat time, there are a lot of other quality groups that run track days.

I am also a fan of NCRC, Speed SF and Blacktrax. All run good events and have friendly people. NCRC has some of the lowest pricing for track time of any group in Northern California.
I did a day with NRCR at Buttonwillow earlier this year....never again. Too many asshats dive bombing into turns and trying to pass in turns in the advanced group. I had a buddy riding shotgun so that I could show him the line since it was his first time out at Buttonwillow and some moron in an S2000 passes me in the sweeper going 2 cars wide.
      08-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
Z K
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I did a day with NRCR at Buttonwillow earlier this year....never again. Too many asshats dive bombing into turns and trying to pass in turns in the advanced group. I had a buddy riding shotgun so that I could show him the line since it was his first time out at Buttonwillow and some moron in an S2000 passes me in the sweeper going 2 cars wide.
Well, NCRC is a "Racing Club". They run competition timed events and such so advanced group do have some people who will pass at any time. It's not so gentleman-like as some other groups. I've ran with them for over 10 years and haven't had any issues.

I tend to just pull over and let people by in advanced or run intermediate. But I can see how it can be scary. Also, not a fan of people with R compounds and slicks kicking up rocks at my car. Another reason to not run advanced...
      08-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
USCTrojanMan29
Captain

Quote:
Well, NCRC is a "Racing Club". They run competition timed events and such so advanced group do have some people who will pass at any time. It's not so gentleman-like as some other groups. I've ran with them for over 10 years and haven't had any issues.

I tend to just pull over and let people by in advanced or run intermediate. But I can see how it can be scary. Also, not a fan of people with R compounds and slicks kicking up rocks at my car. Another reason to not run advanced...
I wasn't pissed as much of the potentially my car getting hit as I was able my buddy getting hurt if that guy would have slide and hit where he was sitting. I'm not an aggressive passer and I prefer to wait for the right time to pass even in open-passing. I enjoy the PCA/POC events the best.
      08-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
Z K
Colonel

Quote:
I wasn't pissed as much of the potentially my car getting hit as I was able my buddy getting hurt if that guy would have slide and hit where he was sitting. I'm not an aggressive passer and I prefer to wait for the right time to pass even in open-passing. I enjoy the PCA/POC events the best.
If you think NCRC is aggressive, do not run with NASA "HPDE" events.

They run race cars along with regular cars in their advanced groups. Usually the HPDE slots into the empty space between competition times. The race drivers pass under all conditions just as they would in a wheel to wheel competition event. I drove with them before, won't do that again.
      08-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Z K
Colonel

Quote:
I just noticed you are in SoCal... it is quite possible that the attendees for the event in SoCal are SoCal people. Not many NorCal people travel down for the event unless it's the staff of NCRC and regulars. I haven't seen anything abnormal from their events up here.

Dave keeps track of all attendees and regularly bans or demotes drivers who continuously break rules. He also checks references and driver background when he can. My friend has been called to vouch for people he might know who signed up for Advanced group.
      08-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
USCTrojanMan29
Captain

Quote:
If you think NCRC is aggressive, do not run with NASA "HPDE" events.

They run race cars along with regular cars in their advanced groups. Usually the HPDE slots into the empty space between competition times. The race drivers pass under all conditions just as they would in a wheel to wheel competition event. I drove with them before, won't do that again.
Oh yeah, I have heard about stories about NASA from some of the Porsche guys. Make it sound like the wild west since you got race guys who'll go wheel-to-wheel along side the HPDE guys.
      08-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
PrimeBMW
Captain

Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

I made a trip down to Thunderhill with some friends last fall. David Ray and HOD put on a great couple of days! I was in open passing point optional and everything went smoothly. My honest opinion is that HOD has the right approach. The cater to the entire spectrum of driver. If you are a beginner the have great instructors and have the proper rules required for that group. On the other end of the spectrum you have guys like me that want to run in an open passing format. Then everything in between.
My group was made welcome and with references we were allowed to run as we normally would. I wish more track day clubs would take this approach.
PrimeBMW is online now   No_Country
      08-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
pkimM3r
Major General

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

if you can't run in a group with other drivers doing those maneuvers (and deemed ok), why would you run in that group? a guy passing on the sweeper is passing because he can isn't he?

i've run with ncrc and they are pretty tight with their rules, and they are priced good. they are a norcal group providing better rates in socal than socal groups LOL.

the meetings are the best with beginner drivers. its a reality check for most ppl who thought they went off because "they were carrying too much speed"