BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source

05-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
thegad
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3 (sold)

Question Did I just get ripped off on headlight bul?

Over the last weekend the car started showing a "Right low beam malfunction" message and my low/high beams on the passenger side were out. I took it into my local BMW repair shop to get it checked out. They suspected it was just a bulb, which it was, but the cost of the new bulb (not including labor) was $244.36. They said it's expensive because in this case both the bulb and ignite are a single unit. Does this cost sound right?

I have an '08 E92 M3, bixenons, with adaptive headlights. The replacement part is labeled as (Bulb Xenon D1S).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
marksae
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ///M

Yeah, the dealer reamed you hard w/ no lube. Was that the price of one bulb or a pair?

All you have to do is google D1S bulbs to see what a normal bulb price is. I'm actually running some generic D1S bulbs for $20/pair, which have been working fine for over a year.
      05-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper

I wouldn't say the dealer did you wrong. A dealer doing you wrong is if it massively overcharges you for the part but that D1S bulb does cost around $220 IIRC. Could you have got that part for cheaper say $200? Sure but the difference is nothing if you consider that it's a part you need and don't/can't wait for the part to ship.

EDIT: never mind, I guess you could get a pair for $200. So comparing to non-OEM, it's a bit much but at least the dealer is being honest with that price instead of charging you $100+ more than what it really costs.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 05-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
JYohay
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5

you got charged MSRP for 1 bulb
yes you could have gotten a generic bulb for a lot less, but they may have not matched.
regardless the dealer only sells OEM parts....so thats their only option.
plus it requires taking off fenders, which many shops will try and charge 30 mins of labor too.
dont go to the dealer next time and save a couple bucks, but they didnt scam you in anyway
Appreciate 0