BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #89
MasterD78
Private First Class
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JB/IR
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

Posts: 140
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
I was lucky to have a short extension and used it for just that?
Next time around I will have a shorter extension. Just had to figure something out instead of the long extension. Glad to hear a shorter extension works fine.
MasterD78 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #90
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD78 View Post
Just finished this up with the guidance of your DIY. It went smoothly and took me 2 hours. It was my first time changing plugs and I was impressed with how well it went. I have to say that coil puller is a must have. That passenger plug closest to the cabin is a massive PITA, and took me close to 30 minutes on it's own. I have to say I feel like I can tell the difference. Thanks again for the DIY!! Next up in a month is the Manual Tranny Fluid. I've done Oil, and rear diff fluid, car has 71k on it (bought it with 68k), what else should I be looking at? Thanks again!
glad it went smoothly...

well since youve done the oil and rear diff fluid, i think after the tranny i would do the brake fluid, steering fluid and rad at 100k. i did all that at 70k miles and now i have 78k ...

FYI: with the tranny though.. BMW uses a special tool to remove the oil from the cooler but since we are DIY... we will never get some of the oil out. so

while your draining the oil, jack each side for 3-5 minutes of the car to drain all the remaining fluid... it will not drain all but at least you will get out most of the old oil...

so after putting the new oil run the car for 2-3 minutes then drive it around the block DO NOT EXCEED 3k rpm and open the fill oil and refill until it overfill. make sure that the car is level.... if your using a jack you need to jack the car on the driver side and fill the tranny with oil and leave the fill bolt open and slow lower the car very slowly cause it will drip some of the excess oil...

after its level jack the car up slowly put the plug back in...

PM me if you have any questions.
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #91
Longwong
Banned
 
Drives: e92 m3 catless
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

Personally I find a flat head screw driver much easier to pop out the coils, especially the most rear ones. You just put it under the coil head or even the rubber thing itself and lever it off something nearby and pop it up.

I can now change all my plugs in 30 minutes once the airbox is out. I change every 7500
Longwong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #92
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
 
AlexTek's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Personally I find a flat head screw driver much easier to pop out the coils, especially the most rear ones. You just put it under the coil head or even the rubber thing itself and lever it off something nearby and pop it up.

I can now change all my plugs in 30 minutes once the airbox is out. I change every 7500
You change your spark plugs every 7,500 miles? :-/
That's unnecessary.
AlexTek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #93
MasterD78
Private First Class
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JB/IR
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Salt Lake City

Posts: 140
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
glad it went smoothly...

well since youve done the oil and rear diff fluid, i think after the tranny i would do the brake fluid, steering fluid and rad at 100k. i did all that at 70k miles and now i have 78k ...

FYI: with the tranny though.. BMW uses a special tool to remove the oil from the cooler but since we are DIY... we will never get some of the oil out. so

while your draining the oil, jack each side for 3-5 minutes of the car to drain all the remaining fluid... it will not drain all but at least you will get out most of the old oil...

so after putting the new oil run the car for 2-3 minutes then drive it around the block DO NOT EXCEED 3k rpm and open the fill oil and refill until it overfill. make sure that the car is level.... if your using a jack you need to jack the car on the driver side and fill the tranny with oil and leave the fill bolt open and slow lower the car very slowly cause it will drip some of the excess oil...

after its level jack the car up slowly put the plug back in...

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the input. I will work on getting the remainder of the fluids swapped out. If I have any questions, I will shoot you a message. Thanks again!
MasterD78 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #94
420hp
New Member
 
420hp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Alpine Carbon Fox
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Coil Pullers

TxStig:

Do you still have coil pullers?
420hp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #95
Longwong
Banned
 
Drives: e92 m3 catless
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTek View Post
You change your spark plugs every 7,500 miles? :-/
That's unnecessary.
Actually on this car you would be surprised. I logged data, specifically ignition timing targets and consistently at about 7500 miles of driving my ability to hit the maximum timing targets is off and generally is 1 to 2 degrees shy of maximum. The car relies on the plugs to read knock and pull timing. Dirty plugs at all interfere with this process and leads to timing being pulled much more easily.

On a car without ion sensing knock systems I agree but unfortunately our plugs are not just responsible for the spark and ignition which I agree is premature to replace at that mileage but the plugs act as the sensor, and specifically the electrodes which is the first thing to really get dirty.

I just like getting the maximum out of my engine at all times even if it is only 10 hp more.
Longwong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #96
SR-71
Private First Class
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Newport News, VA

Posts: 129
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420hp View Post
TxStig:

Do you still have coil pullers?
He can't sell them on here anymore. Just PM him with and he'll get to you. He just received a new shipment recently too. Best $45 spent on a tool.
SR-71 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #97
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,618
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
He can't sell them on here anymore. Just PM him with and he'll get to you. He just received a new shipment recently too. Best $45 spent on a tool.
There are ways to get the coils out, but using TxStig's puller put the finishing touch to one's experience. One of the best tools and cheap for the price. He's a nice bloke tool.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #98
exmowner
Captain
 
exmowner's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3\\\
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 956
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
He can't sell them on here anymore. Just PM him with and he'll get to you. He just received a new shipment recently too. Best $45 spent on a tool.
Why can't he sell them? Not like a vendor sells a similar product?

I feel like someone is always watching....
exmowner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #99
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
 
AlexTek's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Why can't he sell them? Not like a vendor sells a similar product?

I feel like someone is always watching....
You gotta be a sponsor in a forum to sell. Pay to sell. :-/
AlexTek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #100
andybmr
Registered
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStig View Post
Just so everybody knows I have been informed by the forum mods that I am no longer allowed to sell the pullers through the forums. They consider it to be commercial sales because I am selling multiples of the same items. I respect their decision, and won't fight it even though I make barely any money on these and did it mostly as a service to members while trying to avoid the dreaded BMW tax. It was a simple solution to a vexing problem, but I am afraid it is no more.

I did inquire as to the rates for advertising (which may of been the overall downfall) but the rates currently far outstrip any profits I would make during the course of selling these parts so I will not be trying to do that either for now.

Be assured anybody who has submitted money already the pullers have shipped already. Expect them in the next few days.

Thanks everybody for the kind words over the time of making this!

Division M will return!!


Cheers,

TxStig
Can you kindly Pm me if you still have any coil pullers left. Would like to buy one for sure! Thanks.
andybmr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #101
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
 
Oaktree's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota

Posts: 232
iTrader: (1)

Note - I went out of warranty Oct 24th at 42,000 miles and tried to have the dealer change the plugs and they wouldn't until 44,000 miles as stated by the CBS system.
The key to the verbiage on page one is if the car doesn't have CBS which he said all M3's have they cannot do it until CBS says so.

Since I'm not going to give the dealer $250 and indy shop $450 I'll be doing the DIY this weekend.
Oaktree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #102
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
 
AlexTek's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktree View Post
Note - I went out of warranty Oct 24th at 42,000 miles and tried to have the dealer change the plugs and they wouldn't until 44,000 miles as stated by the CBS system.
The key to the verbiage on page one is if the car doesn't have CBS which he said all M3's have they cannot do it until CBS says so.

Since I'm not going to give the dealer $250 and indy shop $450 I'll be doing the DIY this weekend.
The m3 book says that the spark plug change is every 37,000 miles and it is not shown on the CBS.

Did your car showed it in the CBS, you saw it?
AlexTek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #103
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
 
Oaktree's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota

Posts: 232
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTek View Post
The m3 book says that the spark plug change is every 37,000 miles and it is not shown on the CBS.

Did your car showed it in the CBS, you saw it?
It's a change at 37k unless CBS tells them something different. CBS told them to do my car between 42-44k. They said every new BMW except early X3s has CBS so I'm guessing some dealers just bend the rules a little if people are getting plugs at 37k regardless of what CBS is telling them

Last edited by Oaktree; 11-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Oaktree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #104
///mawana
First Lieutenant
 
///mawana's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TX

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Just finished this diy and thanks to the OP! My car has 42k, bought used, I suspected plugs had never been changed and turns out I was correct. All plugs were in bad shape especially one from cylinder 4.

As for the diy itself, I had to default to the hanger-method particularly for plugs 3,4,7 and 8. I had the deep spark plug socket but wouldn't recommend it - for plugs 4 and 8 you have to release the deep socket first otherwise it won't come out with the plug attached.
///mawana is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #105
F16dryver
New Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 27
iTrader: (2)

Just finished this DIY at 42k.first plug change.thanks op for your inputs.

Heres some tips for those still apprehensive bout doing this.

1) if you don't have the puller tool,I used an old power cord and wrapped around then base of the coil,right below the connector.then just pull about 45 deg outwards. The coil will spin around and pop out. It was waaaaaay easier than I expected especially after reading about what a pita it was to do.

2) no torque wrench? The quarter turn past tight rule of thumb is pretty close. Kinda estimate the amount u needed to loosen the old plugs.

3) the plug on the passenger side nearest to the firewall needs to be threaded under the piping that's in the way. Just pull the piping gently to the right and bring the coil under it

Thats it! Real easy DIY and I really do feel the difference. Even my exhaust note sounds richer. It could all be in my head tho after working on the car, naturally the mind is looking for dividends.
F16dryver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #106
Time Lord
Lieutenant
 
Time Lord's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3/E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ft Bragg

Posts: 401
iTrader: (5)

Can.someone please lend/sell me there removal tool. Doing some work on the e90 and from what im reading is a must
Time Lord is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #107
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,750
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgia View Post
Can.someone please lend/sell me there removal tool. Doing some work on the e90 and from what im reading is a must
It's not, just use your hands.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #108
MrStinky
Banned
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: usa

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
It's not, just use your hands.
Also no need to remove coolant reservoir. Twist the coils to pull out by hand. Half turn tight after you initially screw plug in until it first stops. Then half turn per NGK website
MrStinky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #109
Time Lord
Lieutenant
 
Time Lord's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3/E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ft Bragg

Posts: 401
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
It's not, just use your hands.
your right the tools just makes getting the back ones a bit easy
__________________
E46/90 M3
Time Lord is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #110
420hp
New Member
 
420hp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Alpine Carbon Fox
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Coil Tool

TxStig : Still have any left?
420hp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST