BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GT Haus

05-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Update for shift lights to stay on

After this was brought up recently I noticed that my shift lights almost always revert to off when turning the car off.

Since it was in a couple weeks ago for EDC malfunction and getting a new module I mentioned it to my SA and he said they'd look into it. When I got the car back he said everything was updated.

Warnings are all gone but the shift lights do NOT stay on after I turn the car off. I can activate them with the M button but I don't always want the other settings on -- particularly the Servotronic on sport.

He called me for a follow up and I mentioned it and he said he'd look into it. That was last week.

How do I tell him exactly what I need updated, since he doesn't seem to know? OR, since I'm going to have some coding done by Evolve, should I just see if they can do that? Seems a better route to have the dealer update everything to me.

Does anyone know the magic word to get that update done?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
BartM3
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: E93 M3 DCT Individual

I thought it's not an update, but a setting somewhere in the i-drive menu where you can configure the default settings of the car (including shift lights "on"). Unfortunately I don't have access to the car nor the manual at the moment so I can't check where to find it exactly. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Bart is correct. If you have iDrive, go to the M settings menu. Once there, push the iDrive controller to the right and you'll be taken to the M key settings menu (or something like that). That is where you can set options at start up such as which EDC mode and in that menu there is an option you must select for shift lights on...

Last edited by kscarrol; 05-20-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah. I will look for it. I thought the iDrive setting only applied to M mode.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Helmsman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3 E90 2011 DCT ZCP AW

And while yr in M key setting you can also preset power and EDC (while steering and MDM only is on M button). Give it a try!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

If I had a dime for every thread that wouldn't need to exist if the OP had just decided to read the manual and supplement all the way through at some point....

Seriously people, there are several nifty little features in our cars that you are hugely unlikely to discover organically but that are covered in the manual or supplement. Read them already.

Just a few examples I've seen:

- Rolling windows down with fob
- Pathway lighting
- Single-side roadside lighting
- Self-leveling, adaptive headlights
- Cornering lamps
- Fold-down rear seats standard on E92
- Auto-tilt passenger mirror in Reverse
- HVAC mode for automatic engagement of recirc mode based on unpleasant smell detection
- iDrive recommended refuel option
- Auto Start/Stop
- Automatic key-based seat adjustment when opening the door can be enabled/disabled
- The presence of a battery connection terminal under the hood even though the battery is in the trunk
- M Key settings outside of M Drive
- The function of the airmix slider
- The ability to disable the alarm's ultrasonic and tilt sensors while keeping the other functions intact
- iDrive buttons can be assigned to functions other than radio presets

That's just a few.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium
Rep

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

In one word.........iDrive !
      05-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Bart is correct. If you have iDrive, go to the M settings menu. Once there, push the iDrive controller to the right and you'll be taken to the M key settings menu (or something like that). That is where you can set options at start up such as which EDC mode and in that menu there is an option you must select for shift lights on...
Again, thank you for pointing this out. I was unaware, despite reading the SEVEN manuals that came with my car, that I could click twice right to access more options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
If I had a dime for every thread that wouldn't need to exist if the OP had just decided to read the manual and supplement all the way through at some point....

Seriously people, there are several nifty little features in our cars that you are hugely unlikely to discover organically but that are covered in the manual or supplement. Read them already.

Just a few examples I've seen:

- Rolling windows down with fob
- Pathway lighting
- Single-side roadside lighting
- Self-leveling, adaptive headlights
- Cornering lamps
- Fold-down rear seats standard on E92
- Auto-tilt passenger mirror in Reverse
- HVAC mode for automatic engagement of recirc mode based on unpleasant smell detection
- iDrive recommended refuel option
- Auto Start/Stop
- Automatic key-based seat adjustment when opening the door can be enabled/disabled
- The presence of a battery connection terminal under the hood even though the battery is in the trunk
- M Key settings outside of M Drive
- The function of the airmix slider
- The ability to disable the alarm's ultrasonic and tilt sensors while keeping the other functions intact
- iDrive buttons can be assigned to functions other than radio presets

That's just a few.
Do you see the irony in complaining about what you consider to be a pointless thread and then taking the time to type all of the above?

If a group of M owners were standing around at a Cars and Coffee and someone asked a similar question would you tell him to go RTFM? If so, I doubt you'd win many friends that day.

BTW, regarding the above list, the only thing that I didn't know off the top of my head was the M key settings outside of M mode. Thanks again to the prior poster for that.

And to you jp, may I recommend ignoring similar threads when they occur again as it only makes you look like a tool.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
Do you see the irony in complaining about what you consider to be a pointless thread and then taking the time to type all of the above?

If a group of M owners were standing around at a Cars and Coffee and someone asked a similar question would you tell him to go RTFM? If so, I doubt you'd win many friends that day.

BTW, regarding the above list, the only thing that I didn't know off the top of my head was the M key settings outside of M mode. Thanks again to the prior poster for that.

And to you jp, may I recommend ignoring similar threads when they occur again as it only makes you look like a tool.
I totally see the irony. That was more an attempt to convince skeptics that RTFM actually has some value. Good for you that you knew about all of those except this one. You're right that ignoring these threads might be preferable, but it never ceases to amaze me that people resent others for suggesting that they read the manual when doing so actually would have solved their problem or answered their question. What exactly is the problem with telling someone to RTFM when the manual contains the answer? It's almost as if self-help and honest research these days has become an unthinkable alternative to blasting a question out to a forum and waiting for answers to be handed to you, or assuming the existence of a software problem that requires dealer involvement.

If I'd met you at a Cars and Coffee and you'd asked me this, I would have told you the answer and then said, "Btw, that's covered in the Supplement. If you haven't read it, you should." And if your question hadn't already been answered in this thread by the time I got to it, I would have said exactly the same thing. If you look at the vast majority of my posts around here, you'll find that I do spend a great deal of time writing helpful information for others around here, not to mention performing free coding to locals -- but I also tell people where else they could have gone to educate themselves because I believe in teaching people how to fish rather than just catching them fish. Sorry if that makes me a tool in your book, but I think it's entirely reasonable to tell people about something they could've done that would have helped them in the first place.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 05-20-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I totally see the irony. That was more an attempt to convince skeptics that RTFM actually has some value. Good for you that you knew about all of those except this one. You're right that ignoring these threads might be preferable, but it never ceases to amaze me that people resent others for suggesting that they read the manual when doing so actually would have solved their problem or answered their question. What exactly is the problem with telling someone to RTFM when the manual contains the answer? It's almost as if self-help and honest research these days has become an unthinkable alternative to blasting a question out to a forum and waiting for answers to be handed to you, or assuming the existence of a software problem that requires dealer involvement.

If I'd met you at a Cars and Coffee and you'd asked me this, I would have told you the answer and then said, "Btw, that's covered in the Supplement. If you haven't read it, you should." And if your question hadn't already been answered in this thread by the time I got to it, I would have said exactly the same thing. If you look at the vast majority of my posts around here, you'll find that I do spend a great deal of time writing helpful information for others around here, not to mention performing free coding to locals -- but I also tell people where else they could have gone to educate themselves because I believe in teaching people how to fish rather than just catching them fish. Sorry if that makes me a tool in your book, but I think it's entirely reasonable to tell people about something they could've done that would have helped them in the first place.
I appreciate that response. It was the first line with the suggestion that I did not read the manual that I found irritating. Had there not been other posts regarding the shift lights reverting to off I never would have suspected the redundant system.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:38 AM   #11
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep

Drives: m3

What is I drive refuel option?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #12
Helmsman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3 E90 2011 DCT ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3 View Post
What is I drive refuel option?
Yeah, what's that? Thought I read all manual there is but this made me curious!

JP - bet you have an answer for us here...
Appreciate 0