BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2009 Jerez Black e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: aNYthing


Posts: 202
iTrader: (0)

aftermarket windshield or OEM?

Hey guys my windshield is cracked and i need to get it replaced.. I am going through insurance and they will only pay for an aftermarket windshield. My question is should i pay out of pocket for an OEM windshield or just get the aftermarket? Anyone have any experience with this? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
156


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
OEM all the way!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Philippines
89

 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.


Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
i usually go for OEM but whats the price difference. ?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
156


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
i usually go for OEM but whats the price difference. ?
One thing that you have to remember is that windshields are not all created equal and you won't know until it's installed and it's too late. Cheap windshields can have rippled glass or other visual impairments. Just my $.02
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Raz335
Major
15

 
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: LI,NY


Posts: 1,102
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
One thing that you have to remember is that windshields are not all created equal and you won't know until it's installed and it's too late. Cheap windshields can have rippled glass or other visual impairments. Just my $.02
Agreed, that's why It's important to stick to OEM. The quality that I've seen of aftermarket glass is sub-par at best.
__________________

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2009 Jerez Black e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: aNYthing


Posts: 202
iTrader: (0)

difference in price is $288. So i would be paying 288 out of pocket.. the guy at the shop keeps assuring me the only difference between OEM and aftermarket is the BMW logo.. is he right? Also do any of you have any experience with MR. GLASS?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
19

 
PrimoM3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 X5M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Coast, U.S.


Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (0)

OEM ALL THE WAY. Pay WHATEVER the cost difference is. You'll have to stare through this the entire time of ownership.
__________________
'13 Individual Frozen Brilliant White ///M3 Coupe
Ordered 2/15/12 | Euro Delivery on 9/21/12 | U.S. Redelivery on 12/6/12 | Motor Dead on 7/15/13

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
156


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
difference in price is $288. So i would be paying 288 out of pocket.. the guy at the shop keeps assuring me the only difference between OEM and aftermarket is the BMW logo.. is he right? Also do any of you have any experience with MR. GLASS?
Most shops will tell you that. I would need a written guarantee that they are the EXACT same before I would even consider it. For peace of mind, I would not even worry about it and just use the OEM.

Never heard of Mr. Glass.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
24

 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA


Posts: 1,688
iTrader: (0)

We did an aftermarket replacement on a prior VW Tiguan so we could sell it. There is no way I would do that to a car I was planning on keeping. Terrible fit/finish and goofy glass. Go OEM no matter the cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
quadpipes
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB/Beige,M-DCT,ZCP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missippi USofA


Posts: 292
iTrader: (0)

OEM all the way.

Plus I would suspect - although I don't know - that the rain-sensing w-wiper feature as well as the auto headlights depend on a certain factory thickness, tinting and borders.

Don't take the risk.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Superfly_M3
Captain
18

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

I beg to differ. I read some posts about a year ago about OEM and aftermarket windshields. Many guys were complaining about the quality of the OEM widnshield it terms of it being prone to minute stone chips. If I recall correctly, when driving toward the sun, many people said that the OEM looks like sandblasted and the aftermarket windshield hed up much better. Again, this is what I remeber from way back, not sure where the post and who posted that.

I for one agree, in a year of "normal" driving, my windshield does look like it was sandblasted.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

OEM glass is Pilkington and is very soft and chips easily. (see Euro regulations re: glass safety). A/M glass has gotten much better; if you want A/M stick with PPG/ (pittsburgh glass works) which also does alot of OEM work. Definitely inspect the glass prior to install as you'll be able to see if there's any imperfections/distortions in the glass. If the A/M glass is good, just use it. The only downside is you lose the BMW logo in the lower corner of the glass.

So, while OEM is def #1; PPG or aftermarket Pilkington, is just as good IMO.

Make sure the glass is correct with rain sensor/etc prior to install also.


Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadpipes View Post
OEM all the way.

Plus I would suspect - although I don't know - that the rain-sensing w-wiper feature as well as the auto headlights depend on a certain factory thickness, tinting and borders.

Don't take the risk.

Good luck.


All A/M glass comes with the tinted borders and rain sensors already installed w/ no issues
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
We did an aftermarket replacement on a prior VW Tiguan so we could sell it. There is no way I would do that to a car I was planning on keeping. Terrible fit/finish and goofy glass. Go OEM no matter the cost.
this is not very helpful post as your situation is one out of many.


I've have used A/M glass many times w/ no problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
OEM glass is Pilkington and is very soft and chips easily. (see Euro regulations re: glass safety). A/M glass has gotten much better; if you want A/M stick with PPG/ (pittsburgh glass works) which also does alot of OEM work. Definitely inspect the glass prior to install as you'll be able to see if there's any imperfections/distortions in the glass. If the A/M glass is good, just use it. The only downside is you lose the BMW logo in the lower corner of the glass.

So, while OEM is def #1; PPG or aftermarket Pilkington, is just as good IMO.

Make sure the glass is correct with rain sensor/etc prior to install also.

Good Luck!
+1000 There is nothing wrong with a quality aftermarket glass. Except if you want the BMW logo in the corner..and sometimes buyers look for it as a sign the car had a replacement

What I would be more concerned is getting installed properly because this glass is structural and bonded to the body.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2009 Jerez Black e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: aNYthing


Posts: 202
iTrader: (0)

ok can you guys tell me what sensors i need to tell the guy doing the work? I told him about the rain sensors, but are there any other sensors required for the work? like the headlight sensors and such?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
+1000 There is nothing wrong with a quality aftermarket glass. Except if you want the BMW logo in the corner..and sometimes buyers look for it as a sign the car had a replacement

What I would be more considered is getting installed properly because this glass is structural and bonded to the body.
this.. many people don't realize that once the windshield is installed is becomes part of the unibody structure. A competent glass shop is a must to prevent issues w/ leaking or rust down the road from poorly scraped glue from the pillars
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
ok can you guys tell me what sensors i need to tell the guy doing the work? I told him about the rain sensors, but are there any other sensors required for the work? like the headlight sensors and such?
Just the rain sensor and if its not damaged it can be reused..

What headlight sensors are in the glass?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
ok can you guys tell me what sensors i need to tell the guy doing the work? I told him about the rain sensors, but are there any other sensors required for the work? like the headlight sensors and such?

bring them the car, they'll know. Give them the vin/options and they should order the correct glass.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

rain sensor will come with the new glass, they don't reuse the old. It comes as an assembly, they just set the glass and plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2009 Jerez Black e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: aNYthing


Posts: 202
iTrader: (0)

i dont know how good the shop is.. i got referred to from my insurance agent who i am fairly close with.. the shop told me they will stand behind their work for as long as i own the car.. just obviously wont cover accidental like something falling out the sky and damaging it. i should be okay right?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
rain sensor will come with the new glass, they don't reuse the old. It comes as an assembly, they just set the glass and plug it in.
I actually reused my rain sensor on another BMW when I replaced with an aftermarket glass, as it didnt come with it
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST