BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Castro + Benvo = Win!

Before the end of the year I was able to get my car down to Castro Motorsport for Chris to make me an X-pipe. This x-pipe has 2 resonators and holy hell is it LOUD! The bass associated with my car when I only had the axle-back has mostly gone away, in its place is much more volume of pure exhaust sound.

Hopefully Chris will post some pics of his beautiful work soon.
While the car was in socal I decided to jump on the Benvo-Wagon. Everyone seems to be very satisfied with his tune so I went for it. My baseline on a mustang dyno was 351WHP, after the tune and xpipe was installed they strapped it to the dyno (Before driving around and allowing the DME to adapt, the shop had limited time), and she put down 373WHP. All in all im really happy with the results. Mikes tune is smooth, and the car sounds wicked.

I was actually doing some vbox comparisons today with my E92 and my S54 E36 M3. While in the E92, getting on the fwy going from 2nd to 3rd I got preeeeettty squirly (cold tires prob), maybe it was Mikes Euro MDM but this 3800lb beast is moving!

E92: BEST
30-50 1.9
50-70 2.5

S54E36: BEST
30-50 2.2
50-70 2.7

Hopefully in the near future i will have a better opportunity to do some more detailed standardized tests.

For now heres a dyno vid for your viewing pleasure. Cheers!
http://youtu.be/m2vkcC3oP5k

A little Xmas gift to me from the guys. (This video was with the axle back only) Castro Motorsport FTW!
http://youtu.be/N3lHsff1S3c
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
rjd598
Brigadier General
United_States
93

 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA


Posts: 4,620
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
You should go back on the dyno after the dme has adapted.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
You should go back on the dyno after the dme has adapted.
Thanks but im not much of a dyno whore. The gains are clearly there. 25-30whp from a tune and xpipe sounds normal no?

Im also dealing with a bad o2 giving me a CEL but i doubt it would have an effect on performance. Would it?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
61

 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois


Posts: 2,781
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nice results!! Your exhaust setup sounds so freaking good!!

Is there any way you can post the dyno graphs so we can see how the curves have changed!! Sounds like you got a very solid bump in ponies

Enjoy the new power!!
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
168


 
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435I M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Fl


Posts: 3,516
iTrader: (5)

From what I have gathered just clearing adaptions on a stock ecu usually produces another 5-10 whp.
__________________

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 01-14-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH


Posts: 1,725
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96LTWM3 View Post

Im also dealing with a bad o2 giving me a CEL but i doubt it would have an effect on performance. Would it?
If it is a post cat 02 then it will have no effect on performance. If it is a pre cat 02, it likely would have an effect on performance. Pull the code(s) to find out which 02 and what the CEL is for.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
205


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Nice results.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
130


 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 4,762
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
From what I have gathered just clearing adaptions on a stock ecu usually produces another 5-10 whp.
Clear it and see what happens. Sometimes you'll lose power when cleared.

Sometimes it takes 20 runs to get it to adapt and make even more power.

Glad you are enjoying the tune and test pipe OP. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the second video and the exhaust looked fantastic in person!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
130


 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 4,762
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96LTWM3 View Post

Im also dealing with a bad o2 giving me a CEL but i doubt it would have an effect on performance. Would it?
If it is a post cat 02 then it will have no effect on performance. If it is a pre cat 02, it likely would have an effect on performance. Pull the code(s) to find out which 02 and what the CEL is for.
Exactly. Unless its something like a heater circuit.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
ROB_S2K
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
54

 
Drives: 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 1,773
iTrader: (4)

Very nice. I love the video and it seems like the guys at castro know a thing or two about custom fabricating. I pass by their shop all the time and they the baddest looking e30's and e36's around. I need to stop by one day.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

(2012 | Laguna Seca Blue | Rust Brown | Individual | 6MT) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
130


 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 4,762
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Very nice. I love the video and it seems like the guys at castro know a thing or two about custom fabricating. I pass by their shop all the time and they the baddest looking e30's and e36's around. I need to stop by one day.
Yup, they did the full exhaust on my turbo 7 series. I will post some pics
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
M3PO
Colonel
45

 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC


Posts: 2,753
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96LTWM3 View Post
Thanks but im not much of a dyno whore. The gains are clearly there. 25-30whp from a tune and xpipe sounds normal no?

Im also dealing with a bad o2 giving me a CEL but i doubt it would have an effect on performance. Would it?
As long as they did pulls until it stopped making more power, that's gonna be all she's got.

Nice gains and I would love to see some pics! I've seen some custom E30 exhausts they have produced and they look like quality work!
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3
Nice results!! Your exhaust setup sounds so freaking good!!

Is there any way you can post the dyno graphs so we can see how the curves have changed!! Sounds like you got a very solid bump in ponies

Enjoy the new power!!
Thanks! There is so much "theatre" when driving this car now. Really sounds mean.

Ive contacted Chris about posting pics and graphs, hopefully soon.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
From what I have gathered just clearing adaptions on a stock ecu usually produces another 5-10 whp.
Interesting
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb

If it is a post cat 02 then it will have no effect on performance. If it is a pre cat 02, it likely would have an effect on performance. Pull the code(s) to find out which 02 and what the CEL is for.
P2629
o2 sensor pumping current trim circuit/open.

P0491
Secondary air injection system insufficient.
I cleared them twice and the same ones came back.
Like Mike said, its probably a bad o2, but how can I tell which one based on these codes? Does "Secondary" refer to post cat? Is there a different part number for post and pre o2? Im going to call my SA tomorrow to order the part, he can get it to me at his cost. Im assuming changing an o2 should be pretty simple.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
Nice results.
Thanks!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
From what I have gathered just clearing adaptions on a stock ecu usually produces another 5-10 whp.
Clear it and see what happens. Sometimes you'll lose power when cleared.

Sometimes it takes 20 runs to get it to adapt and make even more power.

Glad you are enjoying the tune and test pipe OP. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the second video and the exhaust looked fantastic in person!
Thanks buddy! and thanks again for squeeeezing me in during the holidays!

Yeah they nailed it in the promo vid!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K
Very nice. I love the video and it seems like the guys at castro know a thing or two about custom fabricating. I pass by their shop all the time and they the baddest looking e30's and e36's around. I need to stop by one day.
Thanks and you are correct. One of those badass e36's belongs to me!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO

As long as they did pulls until it stopped making more power, that's gonna be all she's got.

Nice gains and I would love to see some pics! I've seen some custom E30 exhausts they have produced and they look like quality work!
Top quality work
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
130


 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 4,762
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96LTWM3 View Post
P2629
o2 sensor pumping current trim circuit/open.

P0491
Secondary air injection system insufficient.
I cleared them twice and the same ones came back.
Like Mike said, its probably a bad o2, but how can I tell which one based on these codes? Does "Secondary" refer to post cat? Is there a different part number for post and pre o2? Im going to call my SA tomorrow to order the part, he can get it to me at his cost. Im assuming changing an o2 should be pretty simple.
274B - P2629:
Oxygen sensor pump current calibration fault before cat. converter, bank 2
O2 Sensor Pumping Current Trim Circuit/Open (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Oxygen sensor is available, oxygen sensor voltage > 4951
mV (K_LAVK_OBD_SA_DIAG_OL)

Looks like that sensor is damaged. Replace it and you should be fine. This is a pre cat sensor so it's much more important than a post cat sensor.


As far as the secondary air system, this is for emissions only. Doesn't have to do with post cat o2 sensor. Secondary air system pumps fresh air into the heads to warm up the cats faster on cold start. Replace the faulting o2 sensor first and let me know if this one comes back.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #21
96LTWM3
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
96LTWM3's Avatar
 
Drives: S54 E36 ///M3 08' E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin CA


Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
274B - P2629:
Oxygen sensor pump current calibration fault before cat. converter, bank 2
O2 Sensor Pumping Current Trim Circuit/Open (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Oxygen sensor is available, oxygen sensor voltage > 4951
mV (K_LAVK_OBD_SA_DIAG_OL)

Looks like that sensor is damaged. Replace it and you should be fine. This is a pre cat sensor so it's much more important than a post cat sensor.


As far as the secondary air system, this is for emissions only. Doesn't have to do with post cat o2 sensor. Secondary air system pumps fresh air into the heads to warm up the cats faster on cold start. Replace the faulting o2 sensor first and let me know if this one comes back.
Thanks Mike I will report back once I get it changed, the car has become my weekend car now so hopefully ill get to it sooner then later
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
Munit
Banned
22

 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA


Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Maybe I am not familiar enough with measuring different vbox times but those times seem awfully close between the s54 and your e92. Considering your e92 is putting down 100 more wheel horsepower with your mods it should be a greater spread no?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST