BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

OE Lightweight Replacement Rotors

I just found this on another forum:

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=431395

Has anyone tried these or have any thoughts? It seems like a good way to save some weight without the expense of an all-out BBK. Anyone aware of other companies that make a competing product?
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,463
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Eh...not sure. Ok, you upgrade the rotor but I think you'll find that the system's heat capacity is limited by the caliper. Then the rotors are $1150/pr?
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,103
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
These are the ones we are offering by Racing Brake.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,968
iTrader: (12)

Was looking into those the other day. Not exactly cheap when you do 4 rotors.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Richard@M-World
 
Richard@M-World's Avatar
 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL

Posts: 683
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racingbrake View Post
...don't be surprise if your gain extra 10 to 15 whopping horsepower after installing these rotors...
__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Richard@M-World is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Eh...not sure. Ok, you upgrade the rotor but I think you'll find that the system's heat capacity is limited by the caliper. Then the rotors are $1150/pr?
I was more interested in the weight reduction for improvement in steering feel and suspension operation. The thought was that coupled with a set of lightweight 18's, there would be a noticeable difference. But I think from a practical standpoint, it would only be worth doing the front rotors.

It appears that the weight of the stock rear rotors was overstated by Racing Brake to be 24 lbs. when based on the weight savings thread, the weight is really ~19.7 lbs. That's less than 2 lbs. per side weight savings on the rear. Also based on the weight savings thread, the Brembo and Stoptech calipers don't net that much in weight savings to warrant the expense, if weight savings is the main goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
These are the ones we are offering by Racing Brake.
Please PM price for front only. But I would like to know if there would be any issues with running the Racing Brake front with OEM rear rotors. See above re. weight savings on rear rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Was looking into those the other day. Not exactly cheap when you do 4 rotors.
Not worth doing 4 rotors, only front two, IMO (see above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
Everyone engages in sales puffery but I think the incorrect rear rotor weight used is misleading.
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,463
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think the whole steering feel is BS. I had the same NT01s on stock 18s (4 rears) and then on Apex ARC8s which were a lot lighter. There was a difference. But I can find much better ways to spend $1150. At that price, you're halfway to a stoptech BBK. Their replacement rings are about $275 ea and are easy to get. Good luck finding rings for those Rotors.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think the whole steering feel is BS. I had the same NT01s on stock 18s (4 rears) and then on Apex ARC8s which were a lot lighter. There was a difference. But I can find much better ways to spend $1150. At that price, you're halfway to a stoptech BBK. Their replacement rings are about $275 ea and are easy to get. Good luck finding rings for those Rotors.
Well, that's really good to know and I think you're helping me save some cash. I don't need a bbk so perhaps I'll look into an x-pipe & tune instead.

As far as wheels, the stock zcp's are a royal PITA to clean so I was thinking of a 5-6 spoke wheel that would be easier to clean.
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Well, that's really good to know and I think you're helping me save some cash. I don't need a bbk so perhaps I'll look into an x-pipe & tune instead.

As far as wheels, the stock zcp's are a royal PITA to clean so I was thinking of a 5-6 spoke wheel that would be easier to clean.
IMO, if you want to save even MORE money, skip the x-pipe and get test pipes. Super cheap price, same power gains, reduced smell versus totally catless, and reasonable sound increase.

Hell, I would skip the tune too...disappointed in mine...
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,463
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Well, that's really good to know and I think you're helping me save some cash. I don't need a bbk so perhaps I'll look into an x-pipe & tune instead.

As far as wheels, the stock zcp's are a royal PITA to clean so I was thinking of a 5-6 spoke wheel that would be easier to clean.
As I've said before, once you start getting above the novice level and you find your track pads aren't lasting very long, its time for a BBK. You can do all of the bandaids but you're going to keep smoking pads.

I think tracking a stock car is good but if you plan to track an E9X M3 for the long term, I'd just save yourself the pain and get a BBK whenever you can afford it. You'll eventually need it and it should save money over the long run. Pads and rotors on my stoptechs last a long time. I've lost about 1.5mm of front pad in 3 wet days at the track. I would have when through about 5mm by now on the OEM brakes and PF01 track pads.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
IMO, if you want to save even MORE money, skip the x-pipe and get test pipes. Super cheap price, same power gains, reduced smell versus totally catless, and reasonable sound increase.

Hell, I would skip the tune too...disappointed in mine...
I've looked for a donor stock x-pipe as I don't want to cut mine but they seem to be hard to come by. I guess I'll just have to be patient or source one at a junkyard. But that certainly seems the way to go.

Could you PM me why you're disappointed with your tune and from whom you got it? What would you suggest to deal with the CEL instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
As I've said before, once you start getting above the novice level and you find your track pads aren't lasting very long, its time for a BBK. You can do all of the bandaids but you're going to keep smoking pads.

I think tracking a stock car is good but if you plan to track an E9X M3 for the long term, I'd just save yourself the pain and get a BBK whenever you can afford it. You'll eventually need it and it should save money over the long run. Pads and rotors on my stoptechs last a long time. I've lost about 1.5mm of front pad in 3 wet days at the track. I would have when through about 5mm by now on the OEM brakes and PF01 track pads.
Sounds like good advice. Have you had any issues with your stoptech kit on the street (e.g., steering vibration, noise, or other side effects)? Do you think they perform at least as well as OEM brakes in panic stop situations (when the brakes are cold)?
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,103
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think the whole steering feel is BS. I had the same NT01s on stock 18s (4 rears) and then on Apex ARC8s which were a lot lighter. There was a difference. But I can find much better ways to spend $1150. At that price, you're halfway to a stoptech BBK. Their replacement rings are about $275 ea and are easy to get. Good luck finding rings for those Rotors.
FYI, the rings are readily available. They also don't carry the drawback that the other manufacturers have where you need a left or right. Their unique mounting system allows them to manufacture one ring that can be used on either side.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,463
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Sounds like good advice. Have you had any issues with your stoptech kit on the street (e.g., steering vibration, noise, or other side effects)? Do you think they perform at least as well as OEM brakes in panic stop situations (when the brakes are cold)?
The Stoptech kit is superior when cold and hot with the Stoptech pads that come with it. No vibrations or anything either. These are the brakes that the M3 should have come with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
FYI, the rings are readily available. They also don't carry the drawback that the other manufacturers have where you need a left or right. Their unique mounting system allows them to manufacture one ring that can be used on either side.
What is the cost of the replacement parts and who makes that rotor? You chances of finding a stocking store outside of OE, Brembo, and Stoptech are slim. I know I can get a stoptech disc same or next day since there's a distributor in houston that stocks them.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
$582 for a pair. They are available all the time, just call Racing Brake or ourselves and we can get them out. Racing Brake manufactures all their own components to my knowledge.
Any insight on the difference between the Stoptech 355 and Racing Brake 360 front kits? And compared to just the Racing Brake rotors with OEM calipers?
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,103
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Any insight on the difference between the Stoptech 355 and Racing Brake 360 front kits? And compared to just the Racing Brake rotors with OEM calipers?
Sorry, no. I don't have any direct experience with the Stoptechs.

In regards to the stock setup, there will be a huge difference in both fade and clamping force when going from stock to a BBK of any type.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Sorry, no. I don't have any direct experience with the Stoptechs.

In regards to the stock setup, there will be a huge difference in both fade and clamping force when going from stock to a BBK of any type.
Do you know if the dust shields have to be removed to install the Racing Brake front BBK?
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,103
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Do you know if the dust shields have to be removed to install the Racing Brake front BBK?
More than likely they will need to be trimmed at a minimum.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
r53s65e90
8300
 
r53s65e90's Avatar
 
Drives: r53 s65e90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Any insight on the difference between the Stoptech 355 and Racing Brake 360 front kits? And compared to just the Racing Brake rotors with OEM calipers?
I spent a lot of time researching brake options before deciding. I had discovered RB before it was announced here reading up on their specs it seems to be a well designed kit properly sized e.t.c with the added flexibility of using the stock rotor, which no other kit does. However, RB lacks the BMW M3 exposure Stoptech has had with being a provider to racing teams like turner. Doing this has taught them a lot that you cannot learn otherwise. Also Stoptech is OE supplier for Alpina and I believe R&D Sport.

The 355 kit is possibly cheaper. See here: http://thmotorsports.com/stoptech/st.../i-279441.aspx. Most forum vendors will probably match and beat this price. RB: http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake-Kit...0-p/2161-k.htm

So, IMO, the best value is the front ST-40 kit combined with stock rear brakes.

If you want to keep the stock rotor, which is really good and definitely much more tested than the RB rotors on an M3, you can give their calipers a try. I wouldn't go this way, because the rotor is the major component that absorbs the heat from braking. A caliper would just give you a better feel.
r53s65e90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
I spent a lot of time researching brake options before deciding. I had discovered RB before it was announced here reading up on their specs it seems to be a well designed kit properly sized e.t.c with the added flexibility of using the stock rotor, which no other kit does. However, RB lacks the BMW M3 exposure Stoptech has had with being a provider to racing teams like turner. Doing this has taught them a lot that you cannot learn otherwise. Also Stoptech is OE supplier for Alpina and I believe R&D Sport.

The 355 kit is possibly cheaper. See here: http://thmotorsports.com/stoptech/st.../i-279441.aspx. Most forum vendors will probably match and beat this price. RB: http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake-Kit...0-p/2161-k.htm

So, IMO, the best value is the front ST-40 kit combined with stock rear brakes.

If you want to keep the stock rotor, which is really good and definitely much more tested than the RB rotors on an M3, you can give their calipers a try. I wouldn't go this way, because the rotor is the major component that absorbs the heat from braking. A caliper would just give you a better feel.
I was not aware that they had a caliper only kit that would work with the stock rotors. However, based on the prices, I'm also thinking the StopTech 355 front kit is a better value overall although with RB you can go piece by piece (i.e., calipers and when rotors need to be replaced, get the RB rotors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Is this the price for the two piece rotor? Website displays much higher pricing
I think that price is just for the replacement rings without the hats.
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
Chriskm3
Colonel
 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

Rb does not have a rear calliper available as on now and no plans on having one any time soon. There for if one wants to have a uniformed look between front and the rear one must looks elsewhere. Too bad. I just ordered front kit and rear rotors.
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,103
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Rb does not have a rear calliper available as on now and no plans on having one any time soon.
Where did you get that information?
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 310
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Rb does not have a rear calliper available as on now and no plans on having one any time soon. There for if one wants to have a uniformed look between front and the rear one must looks elsewhere. Too bad. I just ordered front kit and rear rotors.
You ordered the RB kit & rotors? If so, would you please post pics and your impression when you get them?
rantarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST