BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Anyone Running OEM 18s as Track Wheels?

I am shopping for a dedicated track set for the upcoming season. I was considering an 18x10 square setup (probably Apex or a used set of Volks).

I recently bought a 3rd car and am now considering repurposing my winter set (OEM 219s) as a track set to keep my costs down. However the obvious drawbacks are this is a staggered setup which limits my ability to rotate and the stockers are heavy. I would also likely sacrifice some grip as i would not be able to run as wide of a tire in the front. I was thinking I could upsize to 255 in the front and 275 in the rear to get close to the contact patch I could achieve with the 18x10s.

I only track a few times a year so I am not sure I want/need to invest a whole lot in new wheels when i already have a usable set in the garage. I know i am being cheap but tracking gets expensive quickly as you all know. Thoughts on running the OEM 18's?
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
ThunderMoose
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 958
iTrader: (0)

I ran OEM 18's for a while. The real problem that you'll run into is that they under steer quite a bit and you'll you need more negative camber to avoid cording. If you only track 2-3 times a year, then you can probably live with these problems, but if you plan to track more, then sell rims and buy some ARC-8's and some adjustable camber plates.
ThunderMoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I ran OEM 18's for a while. The real problem that you'll run into is that they under steer quite a bit and you'll you need more negative camber to avoid cording. If you only track 2-3 times a year, then you can probably live with these problems, but if you plan to track more, then sell rims and buy some ARC-8's and some adjustable camber plates.
How does the "wheel" cause understeer?
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
I am shopping for a dedicated track set for the upcoming season. I was considering an 18x10 square setup (probably Apex or a used set of Volks).

I recently bought a 3rd car and am now considering repurposing my winter set (OEM 219s) as a track set to keep my costs down. However the obvious drawbacks are this is a staggered setup which limits my ability to rotate and the stockers are heavy. I would also likely sacrifice some grip as i would not be able to run as wide of a tire in the front. I was thinking I could upsize to 255 in the front and 275 in the rear to get close to the contact patch I could achieve with the 18x10s.

I only track a few times a year so I am not sure I want/need to invest a whole lot in new wheels when i already have a usable set in the garage. I know i am being cheap but tracking gets expensive quickly as you all know. Thoughts on running the OEM 18's?
I say stick with the stocks but buy two more rears for the front.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
ThunderMoose
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 958
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor

How does the "wheel" cause understeer?
An implied aspect of his question was about going to square set up which then puts a 265/275 in the front versus 245 IIRC. My experience is that when I went to wider tires in front, I got a lot more bite and had to adjust some of my turn in points as the car was much more neutral. Turn 14 at TWS was a prime example, where I used to chop it hard with smaller front tires, but once I had the wider tires I almost ran over the curb with same input.
ThunderMoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
An implied aspect of his question was about going to square set up which then puts a 265/275 in the front versus 245 IIRC. My experience is that when I went to wider tires in front, I got a lot more bite and had to adjust some of my turn in points as the car was much more neutral. Turn 14 at TWS was a prime example, where I used to chop it hard with smaller front tires, but once I had the wider tires I almost ran over the curb with same input.
I agree on this, thats why I recommended him to do the OEM setup square. Just the way you said it originally made no sense what so ever.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
ThunderMoose
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 958
iTrader: (0)

Yeah I jumped a couple of steps in my explanation.
ThunderMoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,436
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Yeah I jumped a couple of steps in my explanation.
FWIW, I thought it was exceedingly obvious what you meant.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,257
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I've run square OEM 18" rears on the track...I think that's the way to go.

I bought Thundermoose's OEM 18s, combined them with my 18s and then sold off the 4 front wheels to someone that wanted a set of snows. Came out about even minus $150 for shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
FWIW, I thought it was exceedingly obvious what you meant.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
adc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

Posts: 4,090
iTrader: (6)

I could take 2 OEM 219 gunmetal fronts off someone's hands, if it comes to that. I managed to curb both my fronts.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i
2000 Boxster
adc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Thanks for all of the feedback. You all confirmed what I suspected - I'd be better off selling the OEMs and picking up a square set.
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,257
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
If you want track wheels...I have one Apex ARC8 18x10 et 25 in anthracite for sale. You can just buy 3 new ones.

Sounds retarded but I figured I'd try
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
If you want track wheels...I have one Apex ARC8 18x10 et 25 in anthracite for sale. You can just buy 3 new ones.

Sounds retarded but I figured I'd try


It looks like Apex is having a group buy this month so I may just hook on to that.
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,257
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post


It looks like Apex is having a group buy this month so I may just hook on to that.
It's cancelled, buy my wheel!

kidding
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,762
iTrader: (1)

You could try putting 265s on the stock fronts. Granted it's a 8.5" wheel, but it should be fine.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,743
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
If you want track wheels...I have one Apex ARC8 18x10 et 25 in anthracite for sale. You can just buy 3 new ones.

Sounds retarded but I figured I'd try
cant you just use it as a spare?
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,257
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I could but if a track tire got ruined I'd just use my street tires.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09
You could try putting 265s on the stock fronts. Granted it's a 8.5" wheel, but it should be fine.
Based on researching manufacturer specs on tire rack, the largest recommended size is usually 255 on an 8.5 wheel. Not sure I would be comfortable going to 265 unless it was within the manufacturer spec.
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post


It looks like Apex is having a group buy this month so I may just hook on to that.
It's cancelled, buy my wheel!

kidding
:
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Here's what a square set of rear 18" OEMs looks like. Sweet 'n' meaty! It's TUNEDM3's car:
Attached Images
 
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #21
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
^
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,762
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
Based on researching manufacturer specs on tire rack, the largest recommended size is usually 255 on an 8.5 wheel. Not sure I would be comfortable going to 265 unless it was within the manufacturer spec.
255 is the largest recommended for an 8.5, but seems like many people with other cars have run 265s without any problem.

Try a google search....lots of pics and info on the subject.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST