BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

ESS Tuning

12-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
samwoo2go
Banned

Drives: E92 335i

China snubs US by refusing USS Kitty Hawk to dock in Hong Kong

So recently Sino-US relations went down because China refused to let USS Kitty Hawk dock in Hong Kong from a prior aggreement. This happened because President Bush gave the medal of Honor to Dalai Lama (enemy of China for attempts to separate Tibet from motherland) at the SAME time as President Hu was giving speech in China during people's congress. This was during Thanksgiving and many americans already flew to Hong Kong to be with their family, and as a result the ship was forced to reroute to Japan and the families all had to fly to Japan.

Do you think what China or US did was right or justifiable?

discuss...
      12-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
samwoo2go
Banned

Drives: E92 335i

heres a news link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/.../china_us_navy
      12-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Simple two questions:
1) Would the US Govt allow lets say Chinese or Russian military ship to dock at, lets say Boston Harbor for any reason??? On another note, would the US allow Chinese military planes to buzz around 5 miles outside of its borders and occasionally (purposly or not) enter its airspace (incident a few years back...)

2) If Chinese glorified and gave a medal of Honor to the person that the US prosecuted just because Chinese believed it was the right thing he or she was doing -- would the US object to it and freeze the relationships?

I don't see anything wrong and strange to what China did. On top of it, it is not only Dalai Lamma, it is Taiwan and other things, too...

In the end,it is just a dirty politics, and innocent (families that you've mentioned) got the worst end of it...
      12-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

The U.S. DOES allow other nations access to ports and things for their military. For YEARS the Japanese Defense Force has been testing missiles in California, and testing ships on the EW sub warfare grounds in Kauai. (I know because I SO wanted to "accidentally" turn on a HARM missile launch scenario when JDF was in Kauai. You know, just to keep relations hospitable )
UncleWede is offline   United_States
      12-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
The U.S. DOES allow other nations access to ports and things for their military. For YEARS the Japanese Defense Force has been testing missiles in California, and testing ships on the EW sub warfare grounds in Kauai. (I know because I SO wanted to "accidentally" turn on a HARM missile launch scenario when JDF was in Kauai. You know, just to keep relations hospitable )
Correct.
But Japanese are our alies where Chinese...are still not considered that.
Anyway, when I see Chinese military ship docked at our harbor, then things will be clearer...