BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
kwike92's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
1,584
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 m3 coupe | 2011 STi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca

iTrader: (6)

Sick video! What kinda suspension are you running and what tires???
__________________
2009 E92 M3- basic mods, future track car.
2011 Subaru STi daily driver- Stock, for now...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
kchu221
JDM whore
kchu221's Avatar
South Korea
45
Rep
3,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: los angeles

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
I'm looking to pick up one as a dedicated track-mobile
lucky!!! i have my money tied up on another project so ill prolly pick one up next year!
__________________
2009 Porsche 911 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
rhouck
Registered
rhouck's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
Everytime i see or hear about s2k it makes me I sure do missed it...
Dang, that's built Who are you on s2ki? Did you run s2k challenge with it?
__________________
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #26
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
Dang, that's built Who are you on s2ki? Did you run s2k challenge with it?
jdmgpw04

no did some track for fun... once every 3 months... never competed on anything really...other than racing my friends at the track..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
That's a pretty nice looking S2K! What kind of undertray/diffuser is that?
Diffuser made by PASSWORDJDM.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
Dre01SS's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Good video, track is always so much fun!
One thing though... maybe you could benefit from getting on the gas a little sooner? Only judging by the sound, but I think you could get on it harder a little earlier, it sounded steady after the apex and WOT after you were fully out of the corner, things seemed very 'in-control' which is good, but shows you can push a little more

Waiting... Until... March... for my HPDE season to start again.
__________________
"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything"
Current: 2007 Corvette Z06 (DD/HPDE)
Past: 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, 2007 BMW 335i E92 - 2001 Corvette Z06 - 2001 Camaro SS - 2007 CBR 600RR - 2003 CBR 600RR Racebike - 2001 CBR F4i
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #29
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

nice video, whats done to the S2K? it looks like it gave you a run.
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #30
rhouck
Registered
rhouck's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
nice video, whats done to the S2K? it looks like it gave you a run.
It's mine so I'll respond (the OP and I track a lot together )

17x9 Enkei RPF1 with 255 RS3s all around
PMU Club Racer brake pads and PMU fluid
Tein SRC coilovers
J's Racing front camber joint
Berk test pipe
J's Racing 60RS exhaust

and then just safety equipment (Recaro SPG, harness, roll bar).

210ish rwhp of fury!

__________________
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #31
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
Dre01SS's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
It's mine so I'll respond (the OP and I track a lot together )

17x9 Enkei RPF1 with 255 RS3s all around
PMU Club Racer brake pads and PMU fluid
Tein SRC coilovers
J's Racing front camber joint
Berk test pipe
J's Racing 60RS exhaust

and then just safety equipment (Recaro SPG, harness, roll bar).

210ish rwhp of fury!

Nice driving!!
__________________
"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything"
Current: 2007 Corvette Z06 (DD/HPDE)
Past: 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, 2007 BMW 335i E92 - 2001 Corvette Z06 - 2001 Camaro SS - 2007 CBR 600RR - 2003 CBR 600RR Racebike - 2001 CBR F4i
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #32
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
It's mine so I'll respond (the OP and I track a lot together )

17x9 Enkei RPF1 with 255 RS3s all around
PMU Club Racer brake pads and PMU fluid
Tein SRC coilovers
J's Racing front camber joint
Berk test pipe
J's Racing 60RS exhaust

and then just safety equipment (Recaro SPG, harness, roll bar).

210ish rwhp of fury!

lol sweet set up.. nice driving...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
Blue55
First Lieutenant
Blue55's Avatar
8
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
Sick video! What kinda suspension are you running and what tires???
Thanks. My suspension setup is very basic. Just H&R lowering springs so I can get more camber and Vorshlag camber plates. Otherwise completely stock. I'm running Hankook RS3 tires on 18" APEX rims 265F/285R.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #34
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
28
Rep
1,935
Posts

 
Drives: '14 W212 AMG S, '12 958 S
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
nice driviing. gotta love that S turn
__________________
Peanut Butter Chunky
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
It's mine so I'll respond (the OP and I track a lot together )

17x9 Enkei RPF1 with 255 RS3s all around
PMU Club Racer brake pads and PMU fluid
Tein SRC coilovers
J's Racing front camber joint
Berk test pipe
J's Racing 60RS exhaust

and then just safety equipment (Recaro SPG, harness, roll bar).

210ish rwhp of fury!

Nice driving! He has a pretty good horsepower advantage and you held him off well!
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
114
Rep
10,529
Posts

 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre01SS View Post
Good video, track is always so much fun!
One thing though... maybe you could benefit from getting on the gas a little sooner? Only judging by the sound, but I think you could get on it harder a little earlier, it sounded steady after the apex and WOT after you were fully out of the corner, things seemed very 'in-control' which is good, but shows you can push a little more
I concur. And some turns you can really leave your foot on the peddle, and cut in more too.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
It's mine so I'll respond (the OP and I track a lot together )

17x9 Enkei RPF1 with 255 RS3s all around
PMU Club Racer brake pads and PMU fluid
Tein SRC coilovers
J's Racing front camber joint
Berk test pipe
J's Racing 60RS exhaust

and then just safety equipment (Recaro SPG, harness, roll bar).

210ish rwhp of fury!


Good driving and nice setup on the S2k..
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #38
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
MKE_M3's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,688
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (0)

those videos get me excited... or is it aroused... or is it frustrated given that I won't be able to do a track day for many more months!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #39
Blue55
First Lieutenant
Blue55's Avatar
8
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the comments guys. My friend(s) and I have a lot of fun tracking together. rhouck's S2K is nicely set up and he's a great driver as well. Our best laps were within about .1 sec of each other that day. We all spend a lot of time analyzing lines, technique etc., so we can work on improving times :-)

Last edited by Blue55; 01-09-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #40
TVMA Doc
Captain
TVMA Doc's Avatar
7
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by two+2 View Post
Great vid, thanks for sharing. Drove my buddy's s2k over the holidays and love how the 6MT feels, tight clutch and ultra short throws.

Made the M3 feel like a lactose intolerant fat kid on his 6th bowl of chocolate ice cream... Sloppy.
I disagree. While the feeling is a bit different, there is little that is "sloppy" about the M3. It may be heavier, but the chasis is superbly balanced so the M3 feels quite nimble.

I drive both cars, so I have a pretty good appreciation for the difference. The S2k FEELS faster due to the higher rev'ing engine and the tendency to snap oversteer, but the M3 is in an entirely different class.

Both cars are a blast, but a well driven M3 should handle anything other than a very modded S2k without much difficulty.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #41
Blue55
First Lieutenant
Blue55's Avatar
8
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
Both cars are a blast, but a well driven M3 should handle anything other than a very modded S2k without much difficulty.
Curious about your opinion. Have you driven and compared both cars at at track?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #42
rhouck
Registered
rhouck's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
I disagree. While the feeling is a bit different, there is little that is "sloppy" about the M3. It may be heavier, but the chasis is superbly balanced so the M3 feels quite nimble.

I drive both cars, so I have a pretty good appreciation for the difference. The S2k FEELS faster due to the higher rev'ing engine and the tendency to snap oversteer, but the M3 is in an entirely different class.

Both cars are a blast, but a well driven M3 should handle anything other than a very modded S2k without much difficulty.
I drive and track both cars so I have a pretty good appreciation for the difference as well.

#1 His post was about the shifter feel ("love how the 6MT feels, tight clutch and ultra short throws"). The S2000's shifter feel is superior to the M3. I have both. This is a function of the transmission placement in the S2000, where the direct shift linkage removes the slop inherent in any other design. On top of that, the M3 by contrast has one of the worst/sloppiest/most rubbery feeling shifters I have used. I still enjoy having a 6MT e92, but the shifter could be improved. Again, the S2000 is a poor comparison due to the transmission layout differences, but even comparing the M3 to other similarly-designed cars it is subpar. By contrast, the e92 steering feel and steering wheel are superior to the S2000.

#2 The M3 feels very nimble given its heft. But there is still no way to not notice the 800+ lb weight difference. The car understeers horribly from the factory, and requires suspension/alignment changes as well as heavy trail braking to rotate on turn-in.

#3 The S2000's suspension design is superior to the e92. Is this really a debate? This plus the weight advantage means the S2000 corners better (i.e., faster). This is the reason the cars can turn similar lap times around tighter tracks.

FYI here is respective data from two sample laps:
http://i.imgur.com/sxm7R.jpg

#4 The e92 makes significantly more horsepower. It makes significantly more torque. The powerband is significantly better. The s65 is an absolutely phenomenal motor. At higher speed tracks (MRLS, ACS, etc.) this is a difference that gaps the S2000 significantly (this is also a result of the S2000's poor aero design, partly a function of it being a convertible and having a poor rake to the windshield). On tracks with shorter straights, the S2000s superior cornering speed brings the cars times quite close together.

The S2000 is a $35,000 sports car. The e9x M3 is a luxury GT car (albeit, a very capable at one, but with compromises) at twice the price.


I assume you have respective lap times at Thunderhill (a track where horsepower advantage is reduced, similar to SoCal's Chuckwalla) in the S2000 versus the e90?


They are both fantastic cars with their respective strengths and weaknesses. The M3 is easier to drive and has more power. The S2000 handles better (and is cheaper on consumables ).
__________________
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
two+2
Private
0
Rep
55
Posts

 
Drives: //M3 E92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

rhouck - you nailed it on the head. I couldn't have summed it up any better.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #44
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
OC ///M's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,820
Posts

 
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I drive and track both cars so I have a pretty good appreciation for the difference as well.

#1 His post was about the shifter feel ("love how the 6MT feels, tight clutch and ultra short throws"). The S2000's shifter feel is superior to the M3. I have both. This is a function of the transmission placement in the S2000, where the direct shift linkage removes the slop inherent in any other design. On top of that, the M3 by contrast has one of the worst/sloppiest/most rubbery feeling shifters I have used. I still enjoy having a 6MT e92, but the shifter could be improved. Again, the S2000 is a poor comparison due to the transmission layout differences, but even comparing the M3 to other similarly-designed cars it is subpar. By contrast, the e92 steering feel and steering wheel are superior to the S2000.

#2 The M3 feels very nimble given its heft. But there is still no way to not notice the 800+ lb weight difference. The car understeers horribly from the factory, and requires suspension/alignment changes as well as heavy trail braking to rotate on turn-in.

#3 The S2000's suspension design is superior to the e92. Is this really a debate? This plus the weight advantage means the S2000 corners better (i.e., faster). This is the reason the cars can turn similar lap times around tighter tracks.

FYI here is respective data from two sample laps:
http://i.imgur.com/sxm7R.jpg

#4 The e92 makes significantly more horsepower. It makes significantly more torque. The powerband is significantly better. The s65 is an absolutely phenomenal motor. At higher speed tracks (MRLS, ACS, etc.) this is a difference that gaps the S2000 significantly (this is also a result of the S2000's poor aero design, partly a function of it being a convertible and having a poor rake to the windshield). On tracks with shorter straights, the S2000s superior cornering speed brings the cars times quite close together.

The S2000 is a $35,000 sports car. The e9x M3 is a luxury GT car (albeit, a very capable at one, but with compromises) at twice the price.


I assume you have respective lap times at Thunderhill (a track where horsepower advantage is reduced, similar to SoCal's Chuckwalla) in the S2000 versus the e90?


They are both fantastic cars with their respective strengths and weaknesses. The M3 is easier to drive and has more power. The S2000 handles better (and is cheaper on consumables ).
^Excellent post, thank you for sharing.
__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST