BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

E92-lighting

12-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Installing new clutch, replace rear crankshaft seal?

Hey guys,

In the process of putting a new clutch in my car. A few of my friends strongly recommended me to replace the rear crankshaft seal while I am there. I have never replaced one before, and can't seem to find anyone familiar with the process on this car. I have the part number 11217838071. Just looking for some direction on what and how to do it.

Thanks in advance

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Move Over
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

These cars aren't known for having faulty rear main seals, so you can just leave it.. But if the seal does go, the trans has to be dropped again to get to it..
      12-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

You are right there, just change it! You'll pay the same amount of labor if it does go in the future.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
You are right there, just change it! You'll pay the same amount of labor if it does go in the future.
Yup, it's silly not to change it out, it's cheap. When they seep, you may need an entire clutch assembly, so it's worth it to change it out before that could happen.
      12-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thankfully I have a lift in my garage so I'm not overly concerned about the labor. All it cost me is a Saturday morning to pull the trans again. But with regards to the seal I am hesitant because no one seems to know the procedure. I also don't want to create a leak where there isn't one now, because I didn't put it back the right way. It is different from the S54 because there is no bracket to remove and replace the seal. The seal looks built into the block. So if I pry it out what's the procedure to make sure it's seat correctly? Does it need a sealer applied around the rim? Or oil?

Sorry for all the questions, but my analytical brain demands answers for everything.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dylan View Post
Thankfully I have a lift in my garage so I'm not overly concerned about the labor. All it cost me is a Saturday morning to pull the trans again. But with regards to the seal I am hesitant because no one seems to know the procedure. I also don't want to create a leak where there isn't one now, because I didn't put it back the right way. It is different from the S64 because there is no bracket to remove and replace the seal. The seal looks built into the block. So if I pry it out what's the procedure to make sure it's seat correctly? Does it need a sealer applied around the rim? Or oil?

Sorry for all the questions, but my analytical brain demands answers for everything.
I used to the feel the same way before a buddy showed me how to do it on a different car. From reading the service manual, it doesn't seem much different on the S65. I would definitely do it if I were you. Just make sure you have the right tools to do the job right.

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...ft_seal_(s65)/

You should read through it to see if you're up for doing it.
      12-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksae
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dylan View Post
Thankfully I have a lift in my garage so I'm not overly concerned about the labor. All it cost me is a Saturday morning to pull the trans again. But with regards to the seal I am hesitant because no one seems to know the procedure. I also don't want to create a leak where there isn't one now, because I didn't put it back the right way. It is different from the S64 because there is no bracket to remove and replace the seal. The seal looks built into the block. So if I pry it out what's the procedure to make sure it's seat correctly? Does it need a sealer applied around the rim? Or oil?

I used to the feel the same way before a buddy showed me how to do it on a different car. From reading the service manual, it doesn't seem much different on the S65. I would definitely do it if I were you. Just make sure you have the right tools to do the job right.

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...ft_seal_(s65)/

You should read through it to see if you're up for doing it.
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Appreciate 0