BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
EXXEL Distributions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
stevehifi
Private First Class
14
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 (comp package)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Irvine,CA

iTrader: (2)

Software options to disable cold air start and secondary air pump

Hi Everyone,

I have a CEL related to the secondary air pump failure (27AF -P1411). Failure is probably due to bad valves allowing the pump to be subjected to hot exhaust gases and burning out.
I have the part numbers for the pump, valves and tubes however the labor involved looks complicated and expensive (since access to the valves/pump is difficult). (parts alone are $600-$700)
As an alternative I was thinking of leaving the bad hardware alone and simply disabling the cold start/air pump altogether. I know there are tuners out there (turnermotosports/BPM) that have software to do this but they want $1k since their tuning involves increases in performance, rev limiter adjustment and other options.

Are there other software tuning companies/options out there that can just allow me to disable the cold start/air pump at a lower cost? If anyone knows let me know.

Thanks,

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
594
Rep
6,111
Posts


Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi
Hi Everyone,

I have a CEL related to the secondary air pump failure (27AF -P1411). Failure is probably due to bad valves allowing the pump to be subjected to hot exhaust gases and burning out.
I have the part numbers for the pump, valves and tubes however the labor involved looks complicated and expensive (since access to the valves/pump is difficult). (parts alone are $600-$700)
As an alternative I was thinking of leaving the bad hardware alone and simply disabling the cold start/air pump altogether. I know there are tuners out there (turnermotosports/BPM) that have software to do this but they want $1k since their tuning involves increases in performance, rev limiter adjustment and other options.

Are there other software tuning companies/options out there that can just allow me to disable the cold start/air pump at a lower cost? If anyone knows let me know.

Thanks,

Steve
If you want a cheaper option you can mail the DME in and just get the cold start removal alone. A few people have done this.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
stevehifi
Private First Class
14
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 (comp package)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Irvine,CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
If you want a cheaper option you can mail the DME in and just get the cold start removal alone. A few people have done this.
Thanks.. any idea on how much this would cost? Do you know which tuners have this option?

Also I've read that disabling the cold start may cause premature failure of the cats over time due to the rich unburnt mixture not being warmed up or pre-burned by having the air pump intervene. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
318
Rep
1,439
Posts

Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92, 12 X5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Mike Benvo is a tuner
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
deansbimmer
Is knee deep in projects.
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
155
Rep
798
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 X5 4.6iS  [0.00]
It will shorten cat lifespan yes. You can get a used air pump for $100 and valves for $40 per side. The labor isn't that bad... And it's diy easy.

I would suggest replacing damaged parts rather than mask their leaks with an electrical modification.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 03:24 AM   #6
stevehifi
Private First Class
14
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 (comp package)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Irvine,CA

iTrader: (2)

The pump is easy removal, but does anyone have a DIY on how to remove the valves?
It looks pretty difficult to access the valves from the top or bottom of the car.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #7
deansbimmer
Is knee deep in projects.
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
155
Rep
798
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 X5 4.6iS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
The pump is easy removal, but does anyone have a DIY on how to remove the valves?
It looks pretty difficult to access the valves from the top or bottom of the car.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have not seen a diy, but it's a simple matter of gaining access to them, which means just taking off the strut brace bars, intake plenum, cabin filter cowls, and using a small 10mm combination wrench and socket to unscrew the two nuts on each valve.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
594
Rep
6,111
Posts


Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Thanks.. any idea on how much this would cost? Do you know which tuners have this option?

Also I've read that disabling the cold start may cause premature failure of the cats over time due to the rich unburnt mixture not being warmed up or pre-burned by having the air pump intervene. Is this true?
I don't think so, it's not spitting unburnt fuel into the cats just because this cycle is off. It's just warming up less quickly.

Yes, it's richer on cold start, but this is irrespective of whether the cold start heating cycle is on or not.

We offer this. You can PM/Email/Call as I'm not allowed to discuss pricing here.

Thanks
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Richbot
Brigadier General
294
Rep
3,145
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (3)

Rich mixture + cold cats for longer = fouled faster, the catalyst doesn't self-clean properly when it's cold and the longer it's cold the more likely you're going to foul it; whether it matters is up for debate, probably doesn't matter if the car gets warmed up whenever it's driven so it can't go into a death spiral.
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 10-21-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST