BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
SpeedyM3's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Loud snap& grinding from downshift?

Was driving normally in 3rd gear and I dropped to 2nd to make a turn and I heard a loud sound come from the back followed along with really harsh and loud grinding when the car is coming to a stop. Stopped and looked under the car to see if anything was leaking and hanging and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

The sound was really harsh and loud in every gear while the car gained speed or was slowing down but it hasn't been as loud after 2-3 miles when I was heading home. Going to BMW Monday morning to get it checked out, anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
243
Rep
14,078
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Rear diff bolts
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
SpeedyM3's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Rear diff bolts
How serious is this?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
C|3R1C's Avatar
10
Rep
547
Posts

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyM3 View Post
How serious is this?
If it actually is that, its very serious considering 3 bolts hold your diff to the chassis. It seems to be a common problems where one of the bolts will sheer off due to overly soft bushings or over torqued bolts or some other reason. You can search this topic. Get to the dealer ASAP, but I see you say you are about to take it in.
__________________
2010 E93 M3 / MS Catless X-Pipe / AA Catback / Vorsteiner Vented Hood and Bootlid E93 Trunk / ADV1 7.1 Wheels GB / LS3 LED Lights / Harrop Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
243
Rep
14,078
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

If that's what it is don't drive it until get fixed
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
MFL
Captain
26
Rep
824
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
You *can* drive it if necessary but definitely NOT recommended.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
SpeedyM3's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

I dropped my car off this morning and they said that it was the bolts and one was loose while the other one was missing.. Parts will take 3 days to get to the shop and another day for installation with a cost of $850 because the warranty doesn't cover it since they didn't install the exhaust..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
BLKLYZ
Colonel
BLKLYZ's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,983
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 AW
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: FT. Bragg, NC.

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyM3 View Post
I dropped my car off this morning and they said that it was the bolts and one was loose while the other one was missing.. Parts will take 3 days to get to the shop and another day for installation with a cost of $850 because the warranty doesn't cover it since they didn't install the exhaust..
$850 TO INSTALL BOLTS ONLY?!?!
__________________
ModeCarbon V1 CF lip/Platte Forme AG CF Side Skirt ext./OSS/B&G Springs/CF Hood Vents/Performance Spoiler/LCI Tails
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
SpeedyM3's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKLYZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyM3 View Post
I dropped my car off this morning and they said that it was the bolts and one was loose while the other one was missing.. Parts will take 3 days to get to the shop and another day for installation with a cost of $850 because the warranty doesn't cover it since they didn't install the exhaust..
$850 TO INSTALL BOLTS ONLY?!?!
Yep... "6 hours of labor" apparently. Unfortunate but nothing I can really do but pay
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
243
Rep
14,078
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Maybe try an independent shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
SpeedyM3's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Maybe try an independent shop.
No shops around my area that are good with bmws other than bmw
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
7499rich
Private
Canada
2
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

You don't have to be good with a bmw to do it. Remove axle back exhaust, remove heat shield, replace bolts.

Now if they are also going to replace the bushings then that's more work as the diff needs to be removed...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #13
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
C|3R1C's Avatar
10
Rep
547
Posts

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyM3 View Post
I dropped my car off this morning and they said that it was the bolts and one was loose while the other one was missing.. Parts will take 3 days to get to the shop and another day for installation with a cost of $850 because the warranty doesn't cover it since they didn't install the exhaust..
That does make sense! Diff bolts arent even touched when you install a catback. I know because I installed mine myself. Totally unrelated..
__________________
2010 E93 M3 / MS Catless X-Pipe / AA Catback / Vorsteiner Vented Hood and Bootlid E93 Trunk / ADV1 7.1 Wheels GB / LS3 LED Lights / Harrop Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #14
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
SpeedyM3's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7499rich
You don't have to be good with a bmw to do it. Remove axle back exhaust, remove heat shield, replace bolts.

Now if they are also going to replace the bushings then that's more work as the diff needs to be removed...
They said that the diff needs to be removed.. I will check up and ask what exactly needs to be done tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Sered
Captain
Sered's Avatar
12
Rep
718
Posts

Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyM3 View Post
Yep... "6 hours of labor" apparently. Unfortunate but nothing I can really do but pay
You can go elsewhere. That's an absolute ripoff. Those bolts are easy to get to. Anyone that's done an exhaust install can put those in for you.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, Phase 2 mods incoming: ESS VT2-650, UCP, Spec TwinDisk, Macht Schnell X-Pipe
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #16
Sandye90m3
Captain
Sandye90m3's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
908
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

You would be a fool to pay them. Tell them what exactly they are doing. You can back your car up on a ramp, and do it yourself. My buddy got the bolts swapped in 1 hour...

If you come to them, and act like you have a big problem in the car ("which it seems like" even though it's not) they will play along with it.

Unfortunately my mom is culprit of this. One time the dealer charged here $300 to replace a light bulb. I called them and gave Mercedes a bunch of shit, and they have never over charged for anything
__________________
M3.E90 JZB Blacked out.Coded.TurnerTestPipes.GTSDCT. Magnaflow Rear. Dinan Tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
chromecast
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: e39
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Agreed $800+ plus to install bolts is a ripoff
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #18
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
SpeedyM3's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

I went today and asked some more details about what exactly they were doing, the service manager said that in order for the new bolt to slide in the diff (bolt being about 3-4 inches long) they would have to bring the differential down because there's no room for it to go in without it coming down. I told him that I would take the car to a shop that my friend owns to get it lifted to see if I could just slide it in myself and they were fine with that. I'll check under it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #19
javarithms
New Member
javarithms's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 SG
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

You might want to consider changing the bushings to solid ones since the existing rubber bushings might be shot and too much lateral play would causes the bolt to shear again. Checkout MRF's bushings which should never need replacing.

http://www.mrfengineering.com/2014/1...e-bushing-set/
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #20
BzsBimmer
2-4-6-8 My car and house depreciate
BzsBimmer's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
2,293
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Modesto CA

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
So if the bolt sheared off, are you guys (that are DIY'ng) having to remove the threaded bolt end? If so, how/method?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:56 PM   #21
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
96
Rep
4,952
Posts

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

Look......

If the bolts sheared it is because the bushings failed. The bolts eventually hollowed out the bushings and then snapped from the movement the torn/worn bushings allowed. Hence the reason why some move to solid diff bushings. The bushings will need to be replaced along with the bolts. In order to replace the bushings, the diff needs to be dropped in order to allow the bushing tool access. Dropping the diff and replacing the bushings is time intensive, hence the higher than normal cost.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 12:21 AM   #22
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
SpeedyM3's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis
Look......

If the bolts sheared it is because the bushings failed. The bolts eventually hollowed out the bushings and then snapped from the movement the torn/worn bushings allowed. Hence the reason why some move to solid diff bushings. The bushings will need to be replaced along with the bolts. In order to replace the bushings, the diff needs to be dropped in order to allow the bushing tool access. Dropping the diff and replacing the bushings is time intensive, hence the higher than normal cost.
Bushings aren't being replaced, just the bolt*..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST