BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Stick to Clutch

06-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant

Drives: 09' M3 6MT

Dinan pulley belt is a POS

After spending hours yesterday attempting to get this ridiculously undersized belt on I am now trying to stretch it.

Yesterday all I could get the belt over was the alt and PS pulleys. I couldn't get the belt over the crank pulley much less the final tensioner pulley. That was with two people pulling, prying and cussing.

So the plan today is heat and stretch. Oven set to 150* then hopefully open her up with my jack setup.

Should I heat and then stretch and keep stretched while the belt cools? Or heat and stretch and go straight to the car for the attempted install?
Attached Images

06-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
dpgfunk
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

not sure if messing with the integrity of the belt like this is such a great idea...
      06-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
not sure if messing with the integrity of the belt like this is such a great idea...
Without stretching it I see no way this belt is going on. This morning i got the belt over all pulleys minus the last tensioner. With the tensioner bottomed out and the belt pulled as tight as it could be there was easily an inch of travel the belt needed to make to slide on.

Dinan say the belt needs to be this tight because it will stretch as it is broken in. So I'm going to stretch it prematurely. If it breaks it breaks but without any intervention there is no way to get this belt on.
      06-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Beemdog
Woof!

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
That's a poor design-- the tensioners are supposed to account for stretch and should not be "bottomed out". Are you 100% certain the routing is correct?
Beemdog is offline   United_States
      06-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
s85e90
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
That's a poor design-- the tensioners are supposed to account for stretch and should not be "bottomed out". Are you 100% certain the routing is correct?
+1 I agree, the tensioners are there to make it easier to slip on/off; however, OP is not alone with people saying the fit is near impossible w/ the pulley swap but IMO a belt that's too tight can also do damage to the tensioners.
      06-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
M3ANMACHINE
Hella Functional

Drives: 2004 BMW E46 M3

YA.. I don't see that stretching the belt would be a good idea... Why not contact Dinan and ask them... See if your belt size is correct.

E90///M3 x 6MT x APEX x AE Performance x Bimmerworld x Dinan x Evolve x KW x Mode Carbon x PFC x TMS

M3ANMACHINE is offline   United_States
      06-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Beemdog
Woof!

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Excessive tension is also a strain on the bearings of every belt-driven device on the car.
Beemdog is offline   United_States
      06-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant

This is a known issue with the Dinan kit. This is the correct belt size that they send you, it is just extremely tight fitting.
      06-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
m3ray
First Lieutenant

Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
Yep

These belts are supposed to be tight. These problems are most time attributable to lack of knowledge on how to do the job.
I struggle to understand this mentality of "Doesn't fit...make it bigger"
      06-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Yep

These belts are supposed to be tight. These problems are most time attributable to lack of knowledge on how to do the job.
Have you personally installed a Dinan pulley? If not then you have no idea what you are talking about and you have no advice to give in this situation.
      06-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
m3ray
First Lieutenant

Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
Have you personally installed a Dinan pulley? If not then you have no idea what you are talking about and you have no advice to give in this situation.
Easy tiger, I am just disagreeing with your approach. Stretching and potentially deforming the belt is not going to end well for you. You can accept the advice given here..or not. I don't care.

To answer your question, no. Being I have a ’13, haven’t had to change any belts on this car, and you couldn’t pay me to use one of these aftermarket pulleys. But I have replaced the belts on an e46 and the fit is damn tight.
      06-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
tinman831
Captain

Drives: M3

Quote:
Easy tiger, I am just disagreeing with your approach. Stretching and potentially deforming the belt is not going to end well for you. You can accept the advice given here..or not. I don't care.

To answer your question, no. Being I have a í13, havenít had to change any belts on this car, and you couldnít pay me to use one of these aftermarket pulleys. But I have replaced the belts on an e46 and the fit is damn tight.
When I replaced the belts on my e46, the belts came on and off easily. If the OP is retracting the tensioner all the way and the belt still wont go on, then this is a design flaw within the Dinan belt itself. The tensioner is supposed to set the tension, but this doesn't work if the belt is too tight even with the tensioner in all the way.
      06-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant

Well heating helped a bit but there really is no way this belt is going to fit. I must have been sent the wrong part as it is clearly still way too small.
      06-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

DON'T Try and stretch a polyester reinforced belt!!!!!
      06-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant

Several post that I came across while searching stated they had to heat and stretch the belt as well. Guess it worked out better for them than me. I gave up.
      06-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
MFL
Lieutenant

Garage List
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Yeah, Don't try stretching it. You should put some belt dressing on it in an effort to slide it on easier the AC Compressor (furthest one on the driver side) as it does not have a lip. You're going to want to have two people doing this.

I actually just threw a wrench through my radiator last night after stripping out my tensioner bolt doing this very thing. So be patient and careful.
      06-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Yeah, Don't try stretching it. You should put some belt dressing on it in an effort to slide it on easier the AC Compressor (furthest one on the driver side) as it does not have a lip. You're going to want to have two people doing this.

I actually just threw a wrench through my radiator last night after stripping out my tensioner bolt doing this very thing. So be patient and careful.
Did you get yours on? I attempted the AC compressor route and there is still so much room the belt needs to travel to get over the pulley.
      06-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
It's a known issue.

The Dinan belts are notoriously tight, it'll need to be "walked" on the pulley in order to be installed.

eas M4 AY Progress/Buildup JournalGET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOGFACEBOOKYOUTUBEFLICKRINSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
      06-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #19
Petros
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Yep

That's what she said!

OP, can't you ask Dinan for a slightly bigger belt? I'm sure those belts come in all different shapes and sizes, so there has to be one that can fit properly, even if it isn't part of the approved kit.
      06-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
s85e90
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: black e90

Even if it goes on, it's still not good for the bearings/tensioners to have that much force on them. IMO sounds like a waste of good money for very little gains.. but Good Luck, I know the frustrations!
      06-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #21
SonnyJack
First Lieutenant

Drives: '09 E92 M3 6MT Jerez Black

Quote:
Did you get yours on? I attempted the AC compressor route and there is still so much room the belt needs to travel to get over the pulley.
I feel your pain. I did the Dinan pulley install a few months back and yes, it was a bitch to get on!! The only way to get it on was to route everything but the tensioner; then max out the tensioner and slip the belt up onto it.

I had to use a 1/2 inch ratchet on the tensioner and allow the belt to rest on the socket or else there was no way to make it work.

Glad to talk you through what I did if you like. PM me if you wish.

SJ
      06-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
MFL
Lieutenant

Garage List
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Actually,

We found a better way. Get it pre-staged on the tensioner, crank and AC. Drop the tensioner all the way down, and slip it under the power steering. It allows you to leverage your forward weight to force it into position.

Since my radiator is out, I'll snap some pictures, maybe a video if I get some time tonight.

Belt Dressing is your friend too.