BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
sadiq
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2007 A-M Vantage
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

I'm wondering the same thing. I just bought a new cable and installed the eFlash software on my computer, and am getting this message. Why why WHY in the hell does the release of a new version completely hamstring the old version for everyone?? That is just terrible design.
sadiq is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #24
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,437
iTrader: (0)

its beyond me how you need to update a tune(when nothing has changed) . why would does this even exist ?

i am so confused !
__________________
Ezio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 850
iTrader: (0)

As a programmer I can tell you that time bombs like that almost always add up to $$ for vendor. Seeing as how ESS gives you the new version for free, I don't really understand their logic in disabling the older versions (unless they're perhaps concerned about piracy...but for such a "specialized" product this concern should be minor at best). Maybe Roman can chime in here and enlighten us.
nullrouted is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
Roman@ESS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 2,546
iTrader: (5)

It's not the vehicle tune your updating it is the interface software for you computer that you are updating. This is the same process for all remote tuning customers.
Roman@ESS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
sadiq
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2007 A-M Vantage
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Yes, I understand. That's why I referred to it as the eFlash software, and not the vehicle tune software. The result is the same though isnt it. Customer downtime and additional vendor labor necessary just to roll out free updates. Why not just set up up an always-available software download page (password protected if youre worried about distribution)? Youd increase customer usability, reduce the amount of work you have to do when your eflash software time bombs, and you wouldnt have to include a usb drive with the package.

This is such a buzzkill on my software/cable purchase. I really hate when software has issues like this. Does anyone know if other vendors' flash software behaves similarly? Also, why is a NEW cable shipping out with outdated software?

Last edited by sadiq; 08-12-2013 at 12:17 PM.
sadiq is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
epbb
Private First Class
 
epbb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SW FL

Posts: 152
iTrader: (5)

Just for sh*ts and giggles, another solution to this issue, could be to go with BPM...

Mike's software doesn't expire, and you can update it yourself whenever you want. You can also flash back to stock, re-flash your tune, read OBDII codes, and much more. Just my $.02.

__________________
2010 E92 Jerez Black M3
Stock.
epbb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
sadiq
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2007 A-M Vantage
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

I just sent a message to BPM.
sadiq is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,970
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
Just for sh*ts and giggles, another solution to this issue, could be to go with BPM...

Mike's software doesn't expire, and you can update it yourself whenever you want. You can also flash back to stock, re-flash your tune, read OBDII codes, and much more. Just my $.02.

All the vendors get their cables from the same source, and it's the same cable. That means the cable supplier is providing the software updates, not the vendor you bought from. There's lots of reasons the supplier provides these updates: support other car models, new capabilities, etc.
If one vendor says their software doesn't expire, then to me it says they have very limited capabilities and can't use the new
features anyways.
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #31
sadiq
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2007 A-M Vantage
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
All the vendors get their cables from the same source, and it's the same cable. That means the cable supplier is providing the software updates, not the vendor you bought from. There's lots of reasons the supplier provides these updates: support other car models, new capabilities, etc.
If one vendor says their software doesn't expire, then to me it says they have very limited capabilities and can't use the new
features anyways.
The software is available, for free, upon request. One big issue here is, why do we need to request it, as opposed to it being available for us to download? It just adds waiting and frustration for the customer, and extra work for the vendor. But the bigger issue is, why does the software simply STOP WORKING when it "expires?"
sadiq is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #32
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,917
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
All the vendors get their cables from the same source, and it's the same cable. That means the cable supplier is providing the software updates, not the vendor you bought from. There's lots of reasons the supplier provides these updates: support other car models, new capabilities, etc.

If one vendor says their software doesn't expire, then to me it says they have very limited capabilities and can't use the new
features anyways.
Bingo.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #33
Roman@ESS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 2,546
iTrader: (5)

The interface software is updated a few times a year. We are working to have a download link available from our website but until then just send us an email if you need the latest version.
Roman@ESS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
AW M3
Private
 
AW M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Went in this morning to have an Underdrive Pulley and a ESS tune installed. The pulley was installed first, when we tried the tune we got the same message. A phone call to ESS and an email sending back the tune and about an hour later we got a reply email with the new installation software and tune. 1/2 after that I was on the road !!

Great customer service ESS, way to go!
AW M3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
m33
Banned
 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW M3
Went in this morning to have an Underdrive Pulley and a ESS tune installed. The pulley was installed first, when we tried the tune we got the same message. A phone call to ESS and an email sending back the tune and about an hour later we got a reply email with the new installation software and tune. 1/2 after that I was on the road !!

Great customer service ESS, way to go!
m33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 3,728
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
The interface software is updated a few times a year. We are working to have a download link available from our website but until then just send us an email if you need the latest version.
If this is the case then why wouldn't you just auto email all customers a link via email when each update becomes available?

Why would it be necessary to request the file? Seems unnecessary and a waste of time for the customer.
KennyPowers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #37
sadiq
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2007 A-M Vantage
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
If this is the case then why wouldn't you just auto email all customers a link via email when each update becomes available?

Why would it be necessary to request the file? Seems unnecessary and a waste of time for the customer.
That's literally all I'm saying. For me, I had to wait 14 hours after my first email to get the link to the new file. And a little more than 2 hours after I finally called in. I'm not saying 2 hours or 14 hours is a long time to get a response from a company, but WHY is there that wait time at all? It should be 30 seconds. Putting a 2MB file up for download on your already-existing site is not a complicated thing.
sadiq is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #38
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,970
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiq
This is such a buzzkill on my software/cable purchase. I really hate when software has issues like this. Does anyone know if other vendors' flash software behaves similarly?
Also, why is a NEW cable shipping out with outdated software?
When you sell hundreds of cables a month, updating them all before they go out is not practical. But when you only sell 3 or 4 per month, then updating them before they go our is no problem.

Looks like Roman is working on the idea of getting a server together for software updates. Good job ESS!
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #39
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 3,728
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
When you sell hundreds of cables a month, updating them all before they go out is not practical. But when you only sell 3 or 4 per month, then updating them before they go our is no problem.

Looks like Roman is working on the idea of getting a server together for software updates. Good job ESS!
totally disagree. they charge 1000 dollars for a tune which has already been developed and is basically just uploaded to each car which takes very little time (IE most of the work already done)

asking to have the proper software on the cable is not too much to ask. asking to be auto forwarded the email with the link to the updates as they come in is not too much to ask.

not good job ESS or any other company that does the same thing. this goes for evolve too, at least when I had a tune from them on my old m3.
KennyPowers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #40
sadiq
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2007 A-M Vantage
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
totally disagree. they charge 1000 dollars for a tune which has already been developed and is basically just uploaded to each car which takes very little time (IE most of the work already done)

asking to have the proper software on the cable is not too much to ask. asking to be auto forwarded the email with the link to the updates as they come in is not too much to ask.

not good job ESS or any other company that does the same thing. this goes for evolve too, at least when I had a tune from them on my old m3.
Pretty much this. It also makes me uncomfortable when I am buying SOFTWARE from people who distribute it as if we were still in the 90s. I like the cute USB dongle that came with it but I would have rather saved $15 and just downloaded the software... which is what I ended up having to do anyway
sadiq is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #41
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,970
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
totally disagree. they charge 1000 dollars for a tune which has already been developed and is basically just uploaded to each car which takes very little time (IE most of the work already done)

asking to have the proper software on the cable is not too much to ask. asking to be auto forwarded the email with the link to the updates as they come in is not too much to ask.

not good job ESS or any other company that does the same thing. this goes for evolve too, at least when I had a tune from them on my old m3.
Then i highly suggest if someone is that lazy he should enjoy what he got and leave it stock
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
sadiq
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2007 A-M Vantage
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Then i highly suggest if someone is that lazy he should enjoy what he got and leave it stock
Please explain why that is lazy, as opposed to demanding that things not be done in a backwards way.
sadiq is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #43
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,970
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiq View Post
Please explain why that is lazy, as opposed to demanding that things not be done in a backwards way.
Because here's the way I read it...

MSRP isn't related IMO. When you get a new Android phone or tablet, the first thing it does is demand that you update it. Same thing with most laptop computers too. But here, you want it done for you and the 100's of other people who buy the cable. And
you want THEM to do it for YOU.

Let's say the vendor buys 1000 cables and they sit in a warehouse, or better yet let's say they're being drop-shipped from amazon.com, you are still expecting each box to be opened up, plugged in, and updated. Then when you receive it, you'll complain that the box looks opened and damaged and you'll demand a replacement.

Then after you receive it, you want to be able to give the vendor your email address, or you expect them to ask you for it. Then you want the vendor to maintain a database of everybody who has the device and send them an email whenever new software is
available. If you have spam protection, you probably want them to respond to every authentication request. Then when your email bounces because you closed that account or got a new one, you probably want them to track you down and get your new email address and replace it in their database. And after you sell the car, you'll still be getting these email messages and cursing them because of it. At that point, you'll demand that they take the time to remove you from the database as well -- but this time without a sale involved.

And you expect this all because they made a few bucks off of you. Basically you want everything handed to you on a silver platter and expect the vendor to do it for you because you were a one-time customer. That my friend is the epitome of lazy.

Remember, these are tuners not enterprise computer programmers. They wouldn't even know how to set up all of the infrastructure you're demanding just so they can make a few bucks off of you. Maybe you should start your own tuning company and do all of these things so you'll always be satisfied with yourself.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #44
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,424
iTrader: (0)

Understand the need for updates given the cable and software manufacturer is increasing capabilities for other cars, but seems like distributing a link to customers is an easy way to ensure this gets done across the board. While not a huge deal given ESS' good customer support, sometimes you do need access to software on an urgent basis (ie flashing back to stock prior to dealer visit). At any rate, seems like ESS is working on fix
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST