BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
1
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 LeMans Blue (on order
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rivergrove Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Pac NW winter tires

Wondering about the PS2 stock tires for winter use in the NW.

I already know the PS2 is no good in the snow and ice, no problem I have a Jeep ready to go. Not going to the mountains in the M3. Just thinking about the ordinary cold wet urban conditions. The M3 will not be used when black ice is a threat.

I hear that the PS/2 there performs poorly when it's wet and cold, so I'm wondering about real experiences of local PAC NW M3 drivers with PS2. How do they do in cold/wet conditions. Do you change tires or keep the PS2?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
3,473
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Although I am on the opposite coast, I have driven with the PS2s in cold (near freezing) wet conditions and, IMO, they are way too slippery. These tires become hockey pucks anywhere near freezing temps. Unless you never drove the M3 in freezing weather, I would get a set of high performance winters. Just my opinion.
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
1
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 LeMans Blue (on order
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rivergrove Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Although I am on the opposite coast, I have driven with the PS2s in cold (near freezing) wet conditions and, IMO, they are way too slippery. These tires become hockey pucks anywhere near freezing temps. Unless you never drove the M3 in freezing weather, I would get a set of high performance winters. Just my opinion.

Thanks. You folks in eastern Canada have things somewhat worse that we do here when it comes to winter. (Excluding the mountain areas of course). We do get lowland snow and ice but it's fairly rare, mostly predictable, but surprise storms do occur.

Thanks for the opinion re the HI performance winter, that or a Hi performance All season are options. It's the 35-40 degree Hockey puck problem I'm wondering how best to deal with

Too bad you can't test drive tires. I'd like a quiet long lasting tire with good wet/cold pavement performance. Maybe have to give up some of the dry performance of the PS2, but I'm hardly pushing the PS2's to the limit. I Don't absolutely need the snow/ice traction of the full winter tire.

So what are the local PACNW folks doing regarding winter tires for the M3 who don't absolutely need to drive in snow and ice.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
mwlmd
Major
mwlmd's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,247
Posts

 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

I have a set of nokian WR g2 on 18" wheels that I run in the winter in pdx. They are full blown snow tires and the performance on dry pavement is marginal at best. It does make me drive slower however. A friend of mine runs the Michelin Alpin winter tire on his M3 and loves it. He says the ride is actually better than the PS2. If I were you since you have a jeep I would get a set of hi performance winter tires instead of full blown snow tires. The easiest would be to get factory sizes that fir your stock rims, unless you want a 2nd set of wheels. Do you have 18 or 19" wheels?

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...lpin-pa3-tires
I believe these fits the 18" wheels.
__________________
F10 M5
Alpine/Sakhir/Anthracite/DCT

HRE P101. Akrapovič evolution. H&R. Bell StiR+ Laser Interceptor quad. IND cosmetics. 3M CR50.

Last edited by mwlmd; 09-13-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
1
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 LeMans Blue (on order
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rivergrove Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaynemd View Post
I have a set of nokian WR g2 on 18" wheels that I run in the winter in pdx. They are full blown snow tires and the performance on dry pavement is marginal at best. It does make me drive slower however. A friend of mine runs the Michelin Alpin winter tire on his M3 and loves it. He says the ride is actually better than the PS2. If I were you since you have a jeep I would get a set of hi performance winter tires instead of full blown snow tires. The easiest would be to get factory sizes that fir your stock rims, unless you want a 2nd set of wheels. Do you have 18 or 19" wheels?

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...lpin-pa3-tires
I believe these fits the 18" wheels.
Thanks, the winter Michelin Alpins look like a good possibility. I have 18's
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Bumping an old thread because I need winter tires!

What tires are people using? I'm torn between Dunlop WS 3D and the new Michy PA4 (which has basically zero reviews on it yet). I'll be using 18x8 wheels and going with 245/40 square. I live on a significant hill and will likely drive in up to 6 inches of snow and/or ice if it falls. However, cold wet traction is probably of the most concern to me.

Any thoughts?

BTW we also have an X1 and I'm putting Michelin X-ice3's on that to get out to the mountains in even the deepest dumps.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
mwlmd
Major
mwlmd's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,247
Posts

 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Bumping an old thread because I need winter tires!

What tires are people using? I'm torn between Dunlop WS 3D and the new Michy PA4 (which has basically zero reviews on it yet). I'll be using 18x8 wheels and going with 245/40 square. I live on a significant hill and will likely drive in up to 6 inches of snow and/or ice if it falls. However, cold wet traction is probably of the most concern to me.

Any thoughts?

BTW we also have an X1 and I'm putting Michelin X-ice3's on that to get out to the mountains in even the deepest dumps.
I have a like new set of PA3s that would be perfect for your situation!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=winter
__________________
F10 M5
Alpine/Sakhir/Anthracite/DCT

HRE P101. Akrapovič evolution. H&R. Bell StiR+ Laser Interceptor quad. IND cosmetics. 3M CR50.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

I don't want PA3s and I already have wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,642
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
PS2 Winter performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
Wondering about the PS2 stock tires for winter use in the NW.

I already know the PS2 is no good in the snow and ice, no problem I have a Jeep ready to go. Not going to the mountains in the M3. Just thinking about the ordinary cold wet urban conditions. The M3 will not be used when black ice is a threat.

I hear that the PS/2 there performs poorly when it's wet and cold, so I'm wondering about real experiences of local PAC NW M3 drivers with PS2. How do they do in cold/wet conditions. Do you change tires or keep the PS2?

Cheers
Despite those that claim they turn to hockey pucks, I have driven PS2s through many Winters with no big problems down to almost freezing. You just have to adjust your driving to the available traction. Once you hit snow or ice though, there is almost zero traction. I've got some PSSs to mount now and I will see if those are any better in those conditions, but I doubt it (supposed to be great in rain, though). I've got a '12 ML with extra wheels mounted with Winters for the bad stuff, but I have been caught off guard in the M3 a couple times - can be butt-puckering!
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 10-10-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
remsM3
Private
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bamberg Germany

iTrader: (0)

Just garage the Beast for the winter time, don't take the chances, it will cost you in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsM3 View Post
Just garage the Beast for the winter time, don't take the chances, it will cost you in my opinion.





Anyway, I went with Michelin PA4 in 245/40/18.





More pics and info here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=409
and I started a review thread here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760869

With a quick drive from U district to downtown and back I can say these are more comfortable than my 19" PSS with very little road noise. I'll have to wait for a few hundred miles before I push them but in the 45F wet roads we've had this weekend, they feel stickier than the wide summer rubber.

Last edited by Transfer; 10-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
kerrit
Lieutenant
5
Rep
444
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Nice choice on the wheels!

My PSS definitely lacking the past couple nights. Debating a cheap winter car now.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

I've used Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 performance winters on my M3 and have been very happy with them. Nice balance of performance and cold weather traction. They are good in the normal 40-45 degree cold Seattle rain...and if it turns white, you know you at least have a fighting chance getting your baby home safely. But given a chance, leave it at home and take the AWD/4x4 if you have one. As someone said earlier on the Alpine, the Blizzaks ride better too than the Pilots. I recommend getting some 18" wheels for them and downsizing your tire width a bit as well (cheaper and the slightly narrower tire will do better in snow)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
mwlmd
Major
mwlmd's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,247
Posts

 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
Nice choice on the wheels!

My PSS definitely lacking the past couple nights. Debating a cheap winter car now.
My winter setup would be perfect for your car. Complete with 2008 TPMS. Drive the M3 year around. You know you want to!!
__________________
F10 M5
Alpine/Sakhir/Anthracite/DCT

HRE P101. Akrapovič evolution. H&R. Bell StiR+ Laser Interceptor quad. IND cosmetics. 3M CR50.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Drove up to Stevens today. Hooray for snow! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=29

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
rennis
Lieutenant
rennis's Avatar
7
Rep
510
Posts

 
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kirkland

iTrader: (1)

Blizzaks are unbeatable in snow, but on cold wet pavement their lateral grip is very poor. Just something be wary of if you run Blizzaks in the winter months.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
tha_good_life's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
3,914
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Drove up to Stevens today. Hooray for snow! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=29

NO FREAK"N WAY~!!!

This is such an awesome picture! How did your car handle? Doesn't look like much snow dumped. I'm on Conti DWS for my winter setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Click the link for my review. It was a super fun drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
linuxd00d
Private
United_States
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E93 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA

iTrader: (0)

Well, driving to work in Tacoma this morning was not fun on my stock 18" PS2. Just the small amount of slightly packed snow at intersections was too much for these tires. I don't plan on driving up to the mountain, and I have a Forester for real snow days, but I'm starting to seriously think about a better all-season tire for the M3. Something that can handle low temperatures and a little bit of water or melted snow on the road.

Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Are you thinking all seasons only or summer rubber plus A/S for winter?

A dedicated wheelset with performance winter tires is really the way to go. I have the same amount of confidence in the handling of my car year round and it's crazy fun to blast through the rain and some snow with sure grip.

If you want to switch completely to A/S, there are some decent options out there that can do everything but don't accel at anything in particular. The new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 will likely be a real gem. http://www.bmwcca.org/node/5047
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxd00d View Post
Well, driving to work in Tacoma this morning was not fun on my stock 18" PS2. Just the small amount of slightly packed snow at intersections was too much for these tires. I don't plan on driving up to the mountain, and I have a Forester for real snow days, but I'm starting to seriously think about a better all-season tire for the M3. Something that can handle low temperatures and a little bit of water or melted snow on the road.

Suggestions?
The A/S tires would have accelerated wear in the summer months. It'd make more sense to have a set of dedicated snow tires from December to March / April
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #22
linuxd00d
Private
United_States
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E93 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Are you thinking all seasons only or summer rubber plus A/S for winter?

A dedicated wheelset with performance winter tires is really the way to go. I have the same amount of confidence in the handling of my car year round and it's crazy fun to blast through the rain and some snow with sure grip.

If you want to switch completely to A/S, there are some decent options out there that can do everything but don't accel at anything in particular. The new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 will likely be a real gem. http://www.bmwcca.org/node/5047
Well, I don't drive in any real snow. And my car is a convertible that I don't take to the track, so I don't have to have the absolute best handling summer tire. I need a tire that is great in our current weather (35-45F wet), decent for the few days of dry 25-35F we get every now and then, and somewhat fun to drive on a windy road in summer. All while being quiet and comfy on my 18" wheels.

So I'm thinking one set of A/S year round. If I end up regretting it next summer, it will give me an excuse to buy 19" ZCP wheels with summer tires then

I love the idea of the next gen Michelin A/S, but they're not due until next summer. And it looks like the current gen wasn't available in stock M3 18" sizes anyway. Actually, tirerack only has 4 tires available in OE 18" sizes...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST