BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #595
swifty
Major
23
Rep
1,295
Posts

 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
The dealer denied warranty. I will have to foot the bill here unfortunately as it seems.
Can you advice their reasoning for denying the work since your car is under warranty? It seems all you have is a tune and few add on parts like exhaust which many guys had.
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Cutlass, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Sapphire Black e60 530, Space Grey 2008 e92 335, Mineral White 2011 e92 335

Current: FO e92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #596
dreamspeed
Major
dreamspeed's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Complete noob question

If the tolerances are too tight, wouldn't the wearing down of the bearings eventually cause the tolerances to be opened up?

For example if you have two things rubbing up on each other wouldn't the items eventually wear down to a point where they don't touch anymore?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #597
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
7
Rep
408
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Can you advice their reasoning for denying the work since your car is under warranty? It seems all you have is a tune and few add on parts like exhaust which many guys had.
Do you really think BMW should replace an engine where somebody had a tune which changed some of the parameters under which the engine was designed to run??
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #598
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
71
Rep
3,959
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Do you really think BMW should replace an engine where somebody had a tune which changed some of the parameters under which the engine was designed to run??
The answer is yes ! Saw it on here more than ones and in this thread , car was tuned and covered under warranty=> new S65 !
Saw also cases when out of warranty,in the US they call it BMW goodwill !
Here in Europe they don't even know the word goodwill !
Actualy I had a good example of what I mentioned above ...
I have the clunk noise when the engine is cold,so I was sending the thread and videos of the clunk noise to them !
Guess what....they don't wanted to open the hood until my tune was removed !
And I was saying....bye bye !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #599
swifty
Major
23
Rep
1,295
Posts

 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Do you really think BMW should replace an engine where somebody had a tune which changed some of the parameters under which the engine was designed to run??
I was referring to the fact that few guys here had their motors replaced/rebuilt despite having a tune.

Nevertheless this is the main reason why I won't be getting one. Tune that is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #600
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
7
Rep
408
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I was referring to the fact that few guys here had their motors replaced/rebuilt despite having a tune.

Nevertheless this is the main reason why I won't be getting one. Tune that is.
Yeah, BMW may not have discovered the tune in those instances or just decided to help the customer out as a goodwill gesture.

If I tuned my car and the engine broke I would try and get help from BMW but I would totally understand if they turned me away.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #601
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
18
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post


In race engines its because it allows them to run far tighter clearances in parts like the pistons/bores, which otherwise might not even turn over when cold.
That's not true. Our crank pin is smaller than the M3 and we still run more clearance. Go figure
Furthermore piston/wall has nothing to do with heating the oil.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #602
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
18
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Complete noob question

If the tolerances are too tight, wouldn't the wearing down of the bearings eventually cause the tolerances to be opened up?

For example if you have two things rubbing up on each other wouldn't the items eventually wear down to a point where they don't touch anymore?
No it will only wear that one spot, it does not wear in a uniform pattern therefore still spinning the bearing in the bore
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #603
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,902
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
No it will only wear that one spot, it does not wear in a uniform pattern therefore still spinning the bearing in the bore
This was my question regarding switching to a lighter grade after wear had taken place. Would there be any effect? Does this equate to an eccentricity change?
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BPMSport 91 octane tune/BPMSport Feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Alcantara Wheel/Rear Fog Switch/Rattle fixes
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #604
Obioban
Captain
16
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

If I had an m3/warranty, I'd just flash the tune back to stock if I needed to exercise the warranty.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's e91, 1995 S50 B32 GT3 RS Green M3 Race Car
Former Cars: 2004 TiAg/IR M3, 1996 TV/black M3, 1995 AW M3 shell
M3 Mod List, M5 Mod List
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #605
aus
Major General
118
Rep
7,421
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Can you advice their reasoning for denying the work since your car is under warranty? It seems all you have is a tune and few add on parts like exhaust which many guys had.
+1
I'd like to know what they gave as a reason too??

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #606
s85e90
Colonel
30
Rep
2,443
Posts

 
Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (0)

You guys are really wondering why malek warranty was voided??? He owns a shop, advertises that car in alot of places including the track. All it takes is one goofball to sneak around the internet and find reasoing to deny coverage. Really sucks though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #607
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
39
Rep
2,332
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
No it will only wear that one spot, it does not wear in a uniform pattern therefore still spinning the bearing in the bore
This was my question regarding switching to a lighter grade after wear had taken place. Would there be any effect? Does this equate to an eccentricity change?
Don't worry about eccentricity changes, if wear gets to that point, the crush has most likely gone out of the shell and it will be only a matter of time before you spin a bearing.

Even if you measure a worn shell, you will usually only notice a few tenths to a thou of thickness difference to a new one.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 02:32 AM   #608
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,622
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
In race engines its because it allows them to run far tighter clearances in parts like the pistons/bores, which otherwise might not even turn over when cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
That's not true. Our crank pin is smaller than the M3 and we still run more clearance. Go figure
Furthermore piston/wall has nothing to do with heating the oil.
Its not my area of expertise (not that anything is) I'm only recalling a TV program that Vauxhall did covering this very issue with their touring cars engines - a sort of why do we preheat the oil/coolant sort of thing and thats what they said. I think it is also discussed in a similar way on the F1technical forum.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #609
Obioban
Captain
16
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
You guys are really wondering why malek warranty was voided??? He owns a shop, advertises that car in alot of places including the track. All it takes is one goofball to sneak around the internet and find reasoing to deny coverage. Really sucks though.
If tracking voids the warranty, ///M has lost all meaning
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's e91, 1995 S50 B32 GT3 RS Green M3 Race Car
Former Cars: 2004 TiAg/IR M3, 1996 TV/black M3, 1995 AW M3 shell
M3 Mod List, M5 Mod List
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #610
Rupes
Captain
Rupes's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
848
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
If tracking voids the warranty, ///M has lost all meaning
Seriously. Good luck finding a marketing picture of the M3 where it's not on the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #611
foolio2
40oz. to Freedom
foolio2's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 IB e92 Dinan M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

When my engine blew, I had a long conversation with BMWNA about "tracking". They assured me that this was encouraged and what the car is designed for. I literally told them I was going to drive the piss out of this car on the track. They said I would always be covered as long as it was not a timed or competitive event.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #612
lutfy
Second Lieutenant
lutfy's Avatar
3
Rep
251
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT, 2005 997 C2S
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
The dealer denied warranty. I will have to foot the bill here unfortunately as it seems.
Sorry mate Be very curious under what circumstances. Mine is flashed 240E by dealer and a cat back (Super Sprint F1 race). Otherwise stock motor (exception for suspension, brakes).

Hopefully we can learn from you on this (on how not to get warranty voided) perhaps?

Thanks again Malek.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #613
s85e90
Colonel
30
Rep
2,443
Posts

 
Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
If tracking voids the warranty, ///M has lost all meaning
Yes, but when the EVO and STI came out they also had commercials and literature with them doing rally events and Mitsu used to deny cars like it was their job to do so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Seriously. Good luck finding a marketing picture of the M3 where it's not on the track.
Right on, but even the manual states that if racing, warranty may be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio2 View Post
When my engine blew, I had a long conversation with BMWNA about "tracking". They assured me that this was encouraged and what the car is designed for. I literally told them I was going to drive the piss out of this car on the track. They said I would always be covered as long as it was not a timed or competitive event.

Yeah good luck; when push comes to shove, they won't remember your name.


People it says clear as day in the manual where talking about prepping the car for competitive use. Yes it can handle being raced, but the warranty may be given up as well as the maintenance plan if heavy tracking is to blame.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #614
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
39
Rep
2,332
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The M1 has a superior basestock to the Castrol,
I think you will find its the other way round.
The Castrol is fully synthetic with ester content.
IIRC the USA Mobil 1 0W40 is "fully synthetic" but contains some conventional oil as a carrier for the add pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
it is specced as OEM for all the AMG cars, Nissan GTR, and Porsches including the GT3 and Turbo cars.
Porsches used to run on Shell, now its Mobil because that is the contract they have, OEM usage signifies nothing.
10W60 is equally spec'ed for some Ferraris, Lambos (including the one make race series) and other high end models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The only reason your oil was at 19 centistokes was because you added make-up oil (and didn't specify how much) which without a doubt boosted the viscosity.
I probably added 2 ltrs over 15k miles...thats not going to make much difference.
Check out the oil analysis thread, it has loads of 10W60 viscosity readings at various mileages, the majority of them are around 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I don't understand your argument here, it doesn't have to be a cold climate to take advantage of flow benefits at startup.... Why do you think race engines or standby generators have the oils heated to operating temperature even if ambient temperature is room temp or greater?
In race engines its because it allows them to run far tighter clearances in parts like the pistons/bores, which otherwise might not even turn over when cold.
First off, to deal with the oils, group III oil technology has come far enough in the last 10 years that many group III oils have superior VI #'s than many fully synthetic group VI & V oils.

Second, if an engine were so tight that need to be pre-heated to turn over the friction would sap up a huge amount of power and said engine would be a ticking time bomb.

As a rule race engines are built looser than road engines where rings are considered because of their short service life and lack of emissions control devices that can't handle engine oil contamination. Secondly, since noise is not an issue on race engines a little extra clearance won't matter since a a little noise on startup won't bother a race team.

# 1 reason for warming up oil or running a lighter oil is to protect bearings first and second to ensure the top end gets oil as soon as possible.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #615
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,622
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
First off, to deal with the oils, group III oil technology has come far enough in the last 10 years that many group III oils have superior VI #'s than many fully synthetic group VI & V oils.
Fully synthetic base oils flow better when cold, heat up quicker and have better thermal stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Second, if an engine were so tight that need to be pre-heated to turn over the friction would sap up a huge amount of power and said engine would be a ticking time bomb.

As a rule race engines are built looser than road engines where rings are considered because of their short service life and lack of emissions control devices that can't handle engine oil contamination. Secondly, since noise is not an issue on race engines a little extra clearance won't matter since a a little noise on startup won't bother a race team.

# 1 reason for warming up oil or running a lighter oil is to protect bearings first and second to ensure the top end gets oil as soon as possible.
I guess we are talking slightly cross purposes.
Here is a video showing the warm up procedure for an F1 engine and covers the points I was making.

__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #616
blankstar43
Lieutenant
6
Rep
508
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Neverland

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankstar43 View Post
[u2b]
[/u2b]

Well I may be having a bearing issue as well. Started hearing a slight tick a couple weeks ago but it went away. It now seems to be back again and increases in frequency with revs. It isn't as loud or obvious as some videos I've watched, but here is my video of it.

2012 e92 m3, completely stock, 42,827 miles, oil changes done every 6-8k miles or so. Probably around 16 track days with plenty of spirited driving on the street. Car is babied until oil is up to operating temp.

I have also attached my last oil analysis. Just changed my oil a few weeks ago and am awaiting the latest analysis that I'll share when it is done.

Well the road trip went fine and I haven't had any issues. Ticking noise is still present and hasn't changed since the posted video as far as I can tell. I also got back my most recent oil analysis from Blackstone which appears to be good. I am posting it here as well. Maybe its not bearings on my car after all??
Attached Images
 
__________________
2012 JZB/Fox Red M3 DCT -JZB reflectors, CF gills, gloss black grills

Last edited by blankstar43; 08-28-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST