BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #221
Rupes
Captain
Rupes's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
826
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio2 View Post
My dealer said this was the first M3 they did an engine replacement on. They're usually pretty upfront with information too. Of course, Indianapolis is a smaller M market compared to other cities. I also asked about whether or not they disassembled the bottom end. He said they didn't. They just send it back to BMW. However, he did say they drained the oil and he said they found metal shavings in it. I don't know if that means they tested it and found metal or it was actually visible. Also, he said that they rarely hear back from BMW about what the problems are. So, I may never know. At least I get my car back tomorrow. Two and a half week turnaround I guess isn't that bad.
How do we know this was bearings and not something else? I think we point to bearings pretty often because that's a real concern that we're all keenly aware of. But really, with 6700 miles it seems like something else could have been amiss here as well, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #222
foolio2
40oz. to Freedom
foolio2's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 IB e92 Dinan M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
How do we know this was bearings and not something else? I think we point to bearings pretty often because that's a real concern that we're all keenly aware of. But really, with 6700 miles it seems like something else could have been amiss here as well, right?
You know, you're right. It's hard to say. I am pretty sure that Sound was a rod knock and that is often the culprit of bearings.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #223
Helmsman
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E90 2011 DCT ZCP AW
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

God knows mate. So the good old mess about's between RG and Swamp is over for now... But much worse, RG's technical input on our S65'!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #224
rgoose18
First Lieutenant
rgoose18's Avatar
7
Rep
301
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Audi RS 4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

This is a great thread. May just buy that extended warranty I've been eyeing after all
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #225
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
39
Rep
2,332
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott
I'm curious, has there been any cases were they heard rob knock/noise and they were able to replace the bearings before it got to bad and the engine/crank/rods/etc was fine?

or is the very presence of rod knock/noise too late and the crank has to come out for a full bottom end rebuild?
It was most likely the rotating assembly, there are very few other things that would cause that kind of noise in an engine. Sounds like most engines that I've heard with bearing knock.

Due to the known clearances in the S65 a bearing failure is highly likely!
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #226
stubble88
Private First Class
1
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 ZCP blue
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio2 View Post
My dealer said this was the first M3 they did an engine replacement on. They're usually pretty upfront with information too. Of course, Indianapolis is a smaller M market compared to other cities. I also asked about whether or not they disassembled the bottom end. He said they didn't. They just send it back to BMW. However, he did say they drained the oil and he said they found metal shavings in it. I don't know if that means they tested it and found metal or it was actually visible. Also, he said that they rarely hear back from BMW about what the problems are. So, I may never know. At least I get my car back tomorrow. Two and a half week turnaround I guess isn't that bad.
I just bought my 2013 used with under 20k miles on it. it was a CPO but I negotiated that out for a $4k savings. I might have put 1k miles on it. Its at the dealer with a blown motor because of bearing failure. Warranty fully covering it. They also claim this is the first e92 M3 they have seen motor failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #227
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
66
Rep
3,912
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubble88 View Post
I just bought my 2013 used with under 20k miles on it. it was a CPO but I negotiated that out for a $4k savings. I might have put 1k miles on it. Its at the dealer with a blown motor because of bearing failure. Warranty fully covering it. They also claim this is the first e92 M3 they have seen motor failure.
Oh boy !
One with 6K miles and now you with 20K miles ,actualy new S65 engines !
It's realy unbelievable ?!?! Think it's time to yell and that all together....."HELLO BMW" !!! Who's next !!!.....I.... or you guys who are reading this ??? Who knows ???And that with our "Ultimate Driving Machine"
BS....My A$$ !!!
I said it on the previous page,still think it's a incorrect fitting and maybe even mounting problem with the bearing failures ,and that from the factory !
And not to forget....damn man feel realy sorry about your luck,but lucky to get a new S65 on warranty !
BTW....The brand calls BMW !So BMW how many more before to take action...the big recall,and when they do nothing i will never buy a BMW again!
Ohhh yes the new ones are out now,so they can forget the "old" S65 V8 5H1T !!!
But a customer who owned 3 BMW 's they have lost right now !!! > ME <
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #228
dmk08
///Maniac
dmk08's Avatar
75
Rep
3,443
Posts

 
Drives: 15 F80 MG/SO 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Oh boy !
One with 6K miles and now you with 20K miles ,actualy new S65 engines !
It's realy unbelievable ?!?! Think it's time to yell and that all together....."HELLO BMW" !!! Who's next !!!.....I.... or you guys who are reading this ??? Who knows ???And that with our "Ultimate Driving Machine"
BS....My A$$ !!!
I said it on the previous page,still think it's a incorrect fitting and maybe even mounting problem with the bearing failures ,and that from the factory !
And not to forget....damn man feel realy sorry about your luck,but lucky to get a new S65 on warranty !
BTW....The brand calls BMW !So BMW how many more before to take action...the big recall,and when they do nothing i will never buy a BMW again!
Ohhh yes the new ones are out now,so they can forget the "old" S65 V8 5H1T !!!
But a customer who owned 3 BMW 's they have lost right now !!! > ME <
You know at the end of the model run they pulled some engines/parts out of storage that were built in 2007
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #229
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
66
Rep
3,912
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
You know at the end of the model run they pulled some engines/parts out of storage that were built in 2007
No !
But it happens on built end of 2013 !"The last ones"man ! With 6K miles on it ,so it has nothing to do with built from 2007 or later !?!?
A question....
How do you feel when you step on it,and you are seeing 8000 rpm's ? And of what are you thinking or feeling at the same time ?
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 07-10-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #230
stubble88
Private First Class
1
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 ZCP blue
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

its a new motor but not necessarily a great feeling. Ima lways going to be worried about it and will need to maintain a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #231
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
66
Rep
3,912
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubble88 View Post
its a new motor but not necessarily a great feeling. Ima lways going to be worried about it and will need to maintain a warranty.
Exactly !
So i will repeat.....Who's next ?
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:13 AM   #232
TX
First Lieutenant
11
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Exactly !
So i will repeat.....Who's next ?
So I thought they fixed the bearing issue with the new bearings in the last few years of engines. What the f*** happened if you guys are blowing engines this late in production with SO FEW miles? I thought it was just us early guys that had problems. Maybe I don't need to feel so bad with my 09 engine after all??
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #233
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
30
Rep
1,683
Posts

 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
So I thought they fixed the bearing issue with the new bearings in the last few years of engines. What the f*** happened if you guys are blowing engines this late in production with SO FEW miles? I thought it was just us early guys that had problems. Maybe I don't need to feel so bad with my 09 engine after all??
Guys, sorry to say this ... I think break-in, driving style, fuel and all sorts of other things are contributing to this failure. S85 and S65 engine blow ups in Australia are hardly heard of. Yes, I know of two but not in the mainstream.

I probably have one of the early build cars - September '07 - and touchwood so far no issues with 44k km. I religiously warm up the car before I drive aggressively. And I drive aggressively every time. I have done two track days.

I don't even think about the bearing spinning or engine blowing. I will enjoy the car as long as possible. I have no plans to buy the new M3/M4.

I also think majority of the Australian owners pump RON 98 either BP, Caltex or Shell. So do the European owners.

There was an issue with the S54 big end bearing and BMW fixed it. If BMW is not proactively fixing it, then they don't see it being an issue.

Like pointed out in the other epic bearing thread that saw 97 pages and 2132 posts, there is no single issue for this failure. Yes, clearance is tighter than most super cars but it's only an assumption that it is causing the failure.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #234
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
17
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
So I thought they fixed the bearing issue with the new bearings in the last few years of engines. What the f*** happened if you guys are blowing engines this late in production with SO FEW miles? I thought it was just us early guys that had problems. Maybe I don't need to feel so bad with my 09 engine after all??
The bearing clearance problem was never fixed. The new bearings are marginally thinner but with stack up of tolerance it is really no better. That and the fact they are harder just make matters worse. The harder the bearing the less forgiving it is. The engines that are going boom right off the bat (15k miles) are the ones that have been measured down at .0009 and such
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #235
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
17
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post

Like pointed out in the other epic bearing thread that saw 97 pages and 2132 posts, there is no single issue for this failure. Yes, clearance is tighter than most super cars but it's only an assumption that it is causing the failure.
Sorry but I am a engine builder for a professional race team and I disagree that it is a assumption. If there were more clearance this would not be happening. Warm up or not the factory must account for people not warmiong it up correctly and adjust main and rod clearances accordingly. It is a mass production car and the factory cant be so stupid as to say "if you have to pull out in traffic a few times and get on it you are going to blow the engine up" after all the manual says "do not let engine idle and warm up in the driveway" so then what are you supposed to do? Oh thats right if the clearance was .002 instead of all the way down to less than .001 then we would not have all these threads talking about it. We have already been over this part as well, will the egine run all day with .0009 clearance? Sure it will but not with 10-60, needs to be a 0-20 or 30. And that comes straight from the bearing manufacturer.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #236
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
30
Rep
1,683
Posts

 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Sorry but I am a engine builder for a professional race team and I disagree that it is a assumption. If there were more clearance this would not be happening. Warm up or not the factory must account for people not warmiong it up correctly and adjust main and rod clearances accordingly. It is a mass production car and the factory cant be so stupid as to say "if you have to pull out in traffic a few times and get on it you are going to blow the engine up" after all the manual says "do not let engine idle and warm up in the driveway" so then what are you supposed to do? Oh thats right if the clearance was .002 instead of all the way down to less than .001 then we would not have all these threads talking about it. We have already been over this part as well, will the egine run all day with .0009 clearance? Sure it will but not with 10-60, needs to be a 0-20 or 30. And that comes straight from the bearing manufacturer.
I respect your claim. Then why is BMW staying silent about this ... what's the valid reason someone can think of?
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #237
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
17
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I respect your claim. Then why is BMW staying silent about this ... what's the valid reason someone can think of?
I dont know either.There have been multiple good will engine replacements at out local dealership. Even tuned engines are getting replaced. The only thing they are reluctant to replace is one that had a blower on it.
Quite a few head cheese were in our shop last fall including Ludwig Willisch (Bmw NA President) a few were asking questions about my m3 and what oil does it have in it and why. They were pin pointing questions that were way too specific to just be striking conversation. They know there is a problem but maybe they do not have enough parts to do a official recall. It is frustrating because it does make me consider selling the car, and I do not want to. Look how bull headed GM was over a stupid ignition switch, makes everyone look bad in the end.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.

Last edited by kawasaki00; 07-11-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #238
ChrisK
Brigadier General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
4,865
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
I dont know either.There have been multiple good will engine replacements at out local dealership. Even tuned engines are getting replaced. The only thing they are reluctant to replace is one that had a blower on it.
Quite a few head cheese were in our shop last fall including Ludwig Willisch (Bmw NA President) a few were asking questions about my m3 and what oil does it have in it and why. They know there is a problem but maybe they do not have enough parts to do a official recall. It is frustrating because it does make me consider selling the car, and I do not want to. Look how bull headed GM was over a stupid ignition switch, makes everyone look bad in the end.
^
+1

My exact feeling.
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #239
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I respect your claim. Then why is BMW staying silent about this ... what's the valid reason someone can think of?
Because it comes down to money. Look at what GM did with the ignition switch issue. I have been skeptical as well but the number of incidents being reported seems to be too high to contribute to expected failures for the number of cars produced. This is just a gut feeling and I have no data to show this but it seems that there is at least one failure each week. Quite high for the relatively small number of M3 owners on this forum.

Also, while I have not looked at other forums, I'll go out on a limb and venture to guess that not as many failures are being reported on other high performance cars (e.g. C63, Mustang, Vette, Audi, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #240
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
950
Posts

 
Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I respect your claim. Then why is BMW staying silent about this ... what's the valid reason someone can think of?
I dont know either.There have been multiple good will engine replacements at out local dealership. Even tuned engines are getting replaced. The only thing they are reluctant to replace is one that had a blower on it.
Quite a few head cheese were in our shop last fall including Ludwig Willisch (Bmw NA President) a few were asking questions about my m3 and what oil does it have in it and why. They were pin pointing questions that were way too specific to just be striking conversation. They know there is a problem but maybe they do not have enough parts to do a official recall. It is frustrating because it does make me consider selling the car, and I do not want to. Look how bull headed GM was over a stupid ignition switch, makes everyone look bad in the end.
So are you running 0w-40?
__________________
V8 M3 in the barn

E46 330i 2002: DD; Z4M 2006- sold; E39 530i 2001- sold; E36 325iC 1994- sold
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #241
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
17
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
So are you running 0w-40?
Yes
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #242
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,405
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

BMW should at LEAST extend the warranty to 100,000 at a minimum. They extended the warranty in the N54 to 86,000 miles due to all the issues they had with it.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST