BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

07-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
TX_M3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08' e92 M3

AA Stage 2 S/C

I am in the market for an AA stage 2 S/C, and just noticed that they offer an optional methanol injection kit. Is ok/safe that I not have that option included, or is it a "must have" when running the stage 2 kit? Any advice/info would be great.

Best,
Anthony
TX_M3 is offline   United_States
      07-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
IzzyGray
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

You're fine without. Supposed makes less power without but I didn't wanna deal with meth(I did on a previous vehicle but it used far less on a 1.6L 4 banger). I've been running fine for about 2 months-ish on stage 2 sans meth.
IzzyGray is offline   United_States
      07-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
AW BMW
Private

Drives: 2009 335-mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_M3 View Post
I am in the market for an AA stage 2 S/C, and just noticed that they offer an optional methanol injection kit. Is ok/safe that I not have that option included, or is it a "must have" when running the stage 2 kit? Any advice/info would be great.

Best,
Anthony
My two buddies have this kit, they do have the meth installed but it is not necessary to run it. They have an on/off switch for it for when they choose not to use meth.
      07-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
TX_M3
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW
Quote:

Best,
Anthony
My two buddies have this kit, they do have the meth installed but it is not necessary to run it. They have an on/off switch for it for when they choose not to use meth.
Would they not use it for daily driving, and only for tracking purposes? I live in houston, where it can get up to 100+ degrees on a. Regular summer day.
      07-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Ging
Enlisted Member

Drives: m3

The first generation hks blower stage 2 kit requires water/meth but the second generation rotrex stage 2 doesn't require water/meth. Plus AA puts safety features in the tune so if water/meth system was to fail things don't go boom.
      07-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
1sikbmr
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Glad AA made the meth kit optional.

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red
ESS VT1-550|Gloss black grilles/Gold gills|V1 hardwire|Filled reflectors|ZHP lighted shift knob|Volk TE37 Gloss Black|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 full blackout kit|Agency Power exhaust|Sosi x-pipe|BMW Performance Steering Wheel V1|
      07-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
AW BMW
Private

Quote:
Would they not use it for daily driving, and only for tracking purposes? I live in houston, where it can get up to 100+ degrees on a. Regular summer day.
They said that they keep it on most of time. Here in southern California it's really hot during the summer and warm most of the year. But I do know that the meth doesn't come on until about 4,000 rpm so when they are bellow that it's not being used at all. So for street driving it hardly comes on but for the track I would think it would be on all the time. Like Ging said above, it has fail/safes programmed into it.
      07-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
TX_M3
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW
Quote:
They said that they keep it on most of time. Here in southern California it's really hot during the summer and warm most of the year. But I do know that the meth doesn't come on until about 4,000 rpm so when they are bellow that it's not being used at all. So for street driving it hardly comes on but for the track I would think it would be on all the time. Like Ging said above, it has fail/safes programmed into it.
I dont track my car at all, and when I do daily the car, I barely push the car to high limits. I just want to make sure given the Texas heat, the kit will still run safely without any danger to my motor while not having the meth kit for cooling
      07-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Serpico
Lieutenant

Drives: M3

AA uses an air to air cooler anyway so you will always get the coolest air possible. The meth is optional and not required.
      07-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
AW BMW
Private

Quote:
I dont track my car at all, and when I do daily the car, I barely push the car to high limits. I just want to make sure given the Texas heat, the kit will still run safely without any danger to my motor while not having the meth kit for cooling
You should be fine with out the meth, the intercooler is enough to keep the temps in check. Traffic around here is ridiculous and like i said earlier, it doesn't even turn on until you start getting into the mid to high rpms anyways. The cars run the same as before they went FI and LA traffic is horrible and add the summer time 100 degree plus weather. You said you really don't push the car that much, even more reason not to worry.
      07-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

I believe there is something with the tune that changes if with or without meth, might wanna ask AA if safe to run no meth on a kit that was designed and tuned to run with it.

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      07-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
Sirius Black
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 6sp man

I ran Stage 2 without Meth for about 12k miles with no issues. Added Meth when it was upgraded to Stage 3, still no problems.

2009 E90 M3|ACTIVE AUTOWERKE GEN 2 LVL 3 SC|TTP|FABSPEED XPIPE|AE EXHAUST|RD SPORT SPRINGS|TTFS CUSTOM TUNE
      07-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

On the Gen1 kits that include the Hks blower meth is not optional on the stage 2 system.

The new gen 2 kits the meth is option for all level except level 3.
      07-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #14
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW View Post

The on and off switch is only there to purge the system and for testing.
      07-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
IzzyGray
First Lieutenant

Andrew, is that really true? I have a gen 1 level 2 AA kit(bought it pre owned) and I had called to purchase the tune. Informed you guys I opted to not install the meth kit and was told its optional. I've been running without meth for 2 months.
      07-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
BrewRifle
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
I called AA and was told that it was optional, but then I emailed another AA employee who said it was required with gen 1. I'd like to know the definitive answer.

Email responses 1 and 2 -
AA response 1 - Oh then you have the HKS kit, so definitely need the Meth, or change pulley and go down to Stg.1

My response to 1 - Is it not possible to just get a tune without the meth included and use everything else from the kit? The meth kit is optional on the Gen 2 Stage 2 kit. It still retains both the oil cooler and intercooler.

AA response 2 - Different Blower, injectors on the Gen 2, so the Gen.1 Level 2 has to have meth or car will detonate. You will have to convert back to Level 1

The gen 2 stage II's are a lot less confusing, so I think I'll hold out for a used one of those.

Last edited by BrewRifle; 07-09-2014 at 10:32 AM.
BrewRifle is offline   United_States
      07-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #17
dpgfunk
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

I was really considering an AA kit also since they look the best but I'm weary about it now....not a good sign if customers are receiving conflicting info from the company, especially with a big purchase like this
      07-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
IzzyGray
First Lieutenant

C'mon AA, sort through the info before release. I've been corresponding with you guys for months for support and tune info. So running without meth on my gen 1 level 2 kit isn't news to you guys. Argh!
      07-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #19
IzzyGray
First Lieutenant

Just got off the phone with AA and confirmed that the generation 1(HKS blower) REQUIRES methanol. I'm beyond pissed right now. I'm out of town and in the middle of nowhere with only one vehicle(the AA SC M3) with no tools.
      07-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
BrewRifle
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Have you noticed anything strange at all while having it on for 2 months?
      07-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
IzzyGray
First Lieutenant

I didn't install a boost gauge for the first 6 weeks so I didn't know I had a huge boost leak(which could be the reason why my engine hasn't blown). 2 weeks ago I installed a gauge and tracked down the boost leak. Ever since then I've registered boost that's too high(anywhere from 9.4 all the way to 14.4 psi). Can't figure out why but it's been behaving normally. So technically I've only had a boosted setup for 2-3 days. I'm gonna baby it till I get back home and/or AA figured this out. I've seen what a methanol dependent tune can do to an engine when meth is absent. I just hope there's been no damage(doubtful but probably can't even tell). AA did say the individual who informed me about not needing meth was a new guy(who has recently been let go). Doesn't help my situation though.
      07-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

The info I posted above is the correct info.

I agree it does get kind of confusing at times since sometimes people aren't even aware of what generation they have when purchasing used kits.

Please remember we have safe guards in place so your engine does not blow even without meth . However this does not mean you can run without it.

Izzy keep in mind meth only comes on after 4 psi do if you drive moderately meth wont even go off.

Requires Meth
-Gen 1 Stage 2
-Gen 2 Stage 3

No meth required
-Gen 1 stage 1
-Gen 2 stage 1
-Gen 2 Stage 2

If anyone has any questions please Pm or email me.