BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source

01-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Any plans for iOS/ blue tooth performance tuning from BPM, ESS, or other?

Curious if there is a performance tune that allows for bluetooth switching with the iPhone? Or iPad? Or other handheld device that is not a laptop?

Just wanted to see what is out there since I currently have primary cat deletes with an ESS tune and my M3 is due for smog.

I don't have a laptop, just a Mac desktop since all my mobile computing is done with an iPad. I don't want to have to buy a laptop just so I can switch tunes every 2 years for smog. I don't want to have to pay a tuning shop just to plug in my ESS cable and switch the tune either.

I know it's possible and can easily be done.

On my wife's VW I have an APR tune with a larger turbo + a bluetooth dongle + and APR app that lets me switch via app.
- I can switch between stock, valet mode, and various octane performance tunes
- It also logs and graphs various engine parameters such as ignition timing with each cylinder, requested and actual boost, throttle position, etc etc etc
- made passing smog a breeze considering how modified the car is... just swap in the OE cat + pull up the app and swap the tune... drive a few hundred miles to reactivate readiness and its good to go (seems like its harder to pass smog with the M3 with deleted primary cats)

I know ESS is probably too big a company to come up with wireless bluetooth switching via app... what about BPM? Any other companies?
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
MShift
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92

Send a message via AIM to MShift
That would be really nice...
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
tdott
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Wouldn't it take long to transfer for tune file via bt?

Also I can't imagine that type of connection bein all that reliable, is it worth of risk of bricking your Ecu?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:14 AM   #4
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Wouldn't it take long to transfer for tune file via bt?

Also I can't imagine that type of connection bein all that reliable, is it worth of risk of bricking your Ecu?
Looking into it... I think with my VW... the Ecu holds the stock file, the 91 tune file, 93, 98, and 105 tune. So the app on my phone just switches the file in the ecu.

On the M3... seems as if only one file is held in the ecu. And the stock file is held on a computer file or memory stick. So when you switch you copy the ecu file, erase, install the new file.

So because of that... just not possible

I need to see if I have the stock file somewhere on a stick now
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #5
TheBreeze
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Cp MT SpaceGray/Lemon

On my n54 135, I tuned the car with an Android phone and the MHD tuning tuning app available on Google play store. It's simply an awesome tuning solution. It's inexpensive (less than $200 total), provides complete data logging with upload to a website for sharing, uses a regular dcan coding cable, has fantastic canned tunes, allows custom tunes, and provides 2 minute tune changes. It's without a doubt leaps and bounds beyond anything available for the s65 platform. When I bought the m3, I was pretty surprised that the tuning market for this car didn't provide something similar. If it can be done on an n54, I don't understand why it couldn't be done on an s65. I emailed MHD tuning about entering the s65 market but never got a response
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #6
noah.s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Looking into it... I think with my VW... the Ecu holds the stock file, the 91 tune file, 93, 98, and 105 tune. So the app on my phone just switches the file in the ecu.

On the M3... seems as if only one file is held in the ecu. And the stock file is held on a computer file or memory stick. So when you switch you copy the ecu file, erase, install the new file.

I would imagine you could make it so that the Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the car stores the tunes so there's no transferring over Bluetooth going on.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #7
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah.s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post

I would imagine you could make it so that the Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the car stores the tunes so there's no transferring over Bluetooth going on.
That would be one way to do it

Would love to get the tuners input on this stuff... is Benvo on forum vacation? Maybe he moved onto the f80 platform
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #8
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

That would be neat..but unfortunately since it is an old platform now, I don't think the companies will be spending additional R&D money for these additional features when there are more lucrative newer platforms out there. (ex. f80, etc)

Just looking at it from a realistic business perspective. As an enthusiast I would love to see more people push the platform.