BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
WickedE93
Captain
United_States
43
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: White E93 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pico Rivera

iTrader: (2)

What's Louder? Test pipes w/ OEM mod Perf method or OEM ACM Bypass alone?

What's Louder? Test pipes w/ OEM mod Perf method (2 pipes) or OEM ACM Bypass alone? Please let me know guys, I would love you hear your feedback regarding not only volume but also tone and drone!

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
113
Rep
3,707
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2015 Z51 c7
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

test pipes with OEM mod is louder for sure, and will sound better in tone.

not sure about drone.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
8k3
Captain
50
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boise, ID

iTrader: (1)

tp with oem. expect a lot of rasp
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Matt@activeautowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
0
Rep
30
Posts


Drives: bmw 2002 tii
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: miami

iTrader: (0)

Test pipe with oem exhaust will be louder and will have rasp.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
613
Rep
5,489
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
test pipes with OEM mod is louder for sure, and will sound better in tone.

not sure about drone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@activeautowerke View Post
Test pipe with oem exhaust will be louder and will have rasp.
Spot on...no doubt !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
104
Rep
7,309
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

isn't acs method technically an "oem mod"?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
613
Rep
5,489
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
isn't acs method technically an "oem mod"?
Yes it is,it's the straight through method also called ACM
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
S65 Underdog
Banned
No_Country
2
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: a functional car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ..........

iTrader: (1)

I was going to say test pipes with ACM mod but that is what I have and it's loud with a rasp after 4k RPM. It's louder because they delete the pipe from crossing in the axel back technically becoming straight pipes. Less resistance so more sound. OEM mod just replaces the perforated pipe with straight pipe.

OEM Mod below. More restriction, less sound.






--------------------



ACM Mod below. Less restriction, more sound.





I have to agree that this modification is loud but if you want PURE RACE CAR then ACM is the route. I love it and everyone I have met loves it. I have had compliments and shocked faces from people who spent thousands to realize they could get an amazing sound from OEM chopped up.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
789
Rep
7,288
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

If not plans to do TP, then go ACM method, it still is one of my favorite sounds. Was not a fan after I added TP.
__________________
Current: 2008 BMW M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. 1999 BMW M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. On the list: BMW M2 Long Beach Blue/Black/6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
17
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

All is work, and to retain the heavy oem muffler? Why?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
S65 Underdog
Banned
No_Country
2
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: a functional car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ..........

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
All is work, and to retain the heavy oem muffler? Why?
Maybe he doesn't have extra money to throw into these items.

2011 E90 DCT White / Black, ZCP
2010 ML 350 White / Black P2 Lighting Package (Wifes)
2008 E90 6MT White / Silver (Lease End)
99 FRC Corvette 12.1 @ 115 (Sold)
87 Turbo-T 10.09 @ 137 (Sold)

Sick wheels btw.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
613
Rep
5,489
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 Underdog View Post
I was going to say test pipes with ACM mod but that is what I have and it's loud with a rasp after 4k RPM. It's louder because they delete the pipe from crossing in the axel back technically becoming straight pipes. Less resistance so more sound. OEM mod just replaces the perforated pipe with straight pipe.

OEM Mod below. More restriction, less sound.





--------------------





I have to agree that this modification is loud but if you want PURE RACE CAR then ACM is the route. I love it and everyone I have met loves it. I have had compliments and shocked faces from people who spent thousands to realize they could get an amazing sound from OEM chopped up.
Haaaah !!!.....I can see pics of my own Oem.exhaust mod > http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
S65 Underdog
Banned
No_Country
2
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: a functional car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ..........

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
If not plans to do TP, then go ACM method, it still is one of my favorite sounds. Was not a fan after I added TP.
I would agree but at the same time this sound is pure race car in my opinion and thats what I am all about. Good you are honest though.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
WickedE93
Captain
United_States
43
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: White E93 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pico Rivera

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 Underdog View Post
Maybe he doesn't have extra money to throw into these items.

2011 E90 DCT White / Black, ZCP
2010 ML 350 White / Black P2 Lighting Package (Wifes)
2008 E90 6MT White / Silver (Lease End)
99 FRC Corvette 12.1 @ 115 (Sold)
87 Turbo-T 10.09 @ 137 (Sold)

Sick wheels btw.
+1 I am on a bit of a modding budget and don't want to drop 3k on a axle back. I do want to get the test pipes in but not if there isn't an affordable axle back option that matches up well with it. I am not too big of a fan the way it sounds with the stock muffler. So I was trying to see if the quietest version of the OEM mod paired with test pipes would be similar to the Bypass in volume and sound. I would go with the megan racing exhaust but I have an E93 and I don't want to modify the extra brace that it has.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
S65 Underdog
Banned
No_Country
2
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: a functional car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ..........

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
+1 I am on a bit of a modding budget and don't want to drop 3k on a axle back. I do want to get the test pipes in but not if there isn't an affordable axle back option that matches up well with it. I am not too big of a fan the way it sounds with the stock muffler. So I was trying to see if the quietest version of the OEM mod paired with test pipes would be similar to the Bypass in volume and sound. I would go with the megan racing exhaust but I have an E93 and I don't want to modify the extra brace that it has.
I say you go with the OEM mod if you are not too sure. ACM is loud and race car so to be on the safe side OEM mod may be your right choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
613
Rep
5,489
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 Underdog View Post
I say you go with the OEM mod if you are not too sure. ACM is loud and race car so to be on the safe side OEM mod may be your right choice.
+ 1...Exactly !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
104
Rep
7,309
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

I understand both methods...but BOTH methods are an oem mod...you mod the oem exhaust...they are both pretty much straight pipes aren't they (both have closed pipes and are not emitting anything into the muffler).

In order not to create method we should be saying: (a) perforated pipe method, or (b) ACM method. These are both modded oem units.

Why am I being so technical? I'm usually just a troll lol lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #18
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
17
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
+1 I am on a bit of a modding budget and don't want to drop 3k on a axle back. I do want to get the test pipes in but not if there isn't an affordable axle back option that matches up well with it. I am not too big of a fan the way it sounds with the stock muffler. So I was trying to see if the quietest version of the OEM mod paired with test pipes would be similar to the Bypass in volume and sound. I would go with the megan racing exhaust but I have an E93 and I don't want to modify the extra brace that it has.
lots of great exhausts for sale in the classifieds. Picked mine up for $1300.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #19
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
789
Rep
7,288
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
+1 I am on a bit of a modding budget and don't want to drop 3k on a axle back. I do want to get the test pipes in but not if there isn't an affordable axle back option that matches up well with it. I am not too big of a fan the way it sounds with the stock muffler. So I was trying to see if the quietest version of the OEM mod paired with test pipes would be similar to the Bypass in volume and sound. I would go with the megan racing exhaust but I have an E93 and I don't want to modify the extra brace that it has.
Ah I was going to suggest Megan. I saw a Corsa FS for $1300. Then you can add ACM TP and call it a day. IMHO, that's a great option.
__________________
Current: 2008 BMW M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. 1999 BMW M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. On the list: BMW M2 Long Beach Blue/Black/6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #20
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
81
Rep
2,996
Posts

Drives: 528i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I understand both methods...but BOTH methods are an oem mod...you mod the oem exhaust...they are both pretty much straight pipes aren't they (both have closed pipes and are not emitting anything into the muffler).

In order not to create method we should be saying: (a) perforated pipe method, or (b) ACM method. These are both modded oem units.

Why am I being so technical? I'm usually just a troll lol lol.
To get even more technical, I refer to the perforated pipe method as the oem mod and the straight through method as the ACM mod. Reason being...years back the first person to mod their oem exhaust did the perforated pipe method which caught on and had many adopters and threads on it. Then eventually a new mod, the straight through design, was performed by Auto Couture originally hence the name ACM mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #21
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
104
Rep
7,309
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

but it should technically fall under the same category:

oem mod....2 methods....perf/acm.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #22
holanxiaoq
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: audi
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: pm

iTrader: (0)

It's louder because they delete the pipe from crossing in the axel back technically becoming straight pipes.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST