BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #177
JasonCSU
Colonel
 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,144
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I like my tag Monaco, it's a fun watch to wear, just make sure you like it on you're wrist. A blue watch on the wrist is neat in the store, but requires a bit more confidence in the real world to wear.
Good point that I'll have to keep in mind. Of the new Monaco watches though, the one that stood out for me is the ACM Limited Edition with the black face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Don't get too into collecting if you can help it. Just think cars and depreciation, money you will not get back. But at least you can get some back in the end, and occasionally (very very rarely) make money on the watch.
Yet another good point that I need to keep in mind. The problem is, all the various watch threads have shown me some fantasic designs which inspired me to want to own a few. I'm certainly not planning on going nuts and buying a collection overnight. I think I'm going to start looking around at used inventories to see what is out there.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
JasonCSU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #178
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,159
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
One thing to consider when starting a collection, or just assessing what you want, is to try to establish a basic goal for what you want. I have a GMT, a chrono and a dress watch. Those cover most of my needs, but I keep finding myself wanting a power reserve watch.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #179
mike the snake
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 501
iTrader: (1)

I recently bought a Seiko Orange Monster, and the bracelet on it is pretty darn nice.





Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Another thought for OP... do you think you could pull off an inexpensive yet technically interesting and seldom-seen watch? One of mine that I actually wear occasionally is a Vostok Amphibia, I think I paid something like $35 for it (really!) and it's just a really elegant piece of Soviet design and engineering, although it also has that Soviet-era kitsch thing going on as well. The bracelets are garbage, they make Seiko bracelets seem quality, but I think it looks great on a rubber "waffle" strap. Obviously NOT dressy! Might not be for you.

Along the same lines, I find the Strela "Sturmanskie" chronographs really attractive and are available for less than $1K.

My dress watch is a 50's era stainless steel Longines which I picked up off eBay in a watch buying frenzy a few years ago for under $100. Surprisingly it was in excellent condition and I wore it near daily for 3-4 years until the stem broke; sadly, it took three tries at repair after that until it ran reliably again. Not sure how a busted stem could cause that, or if it was a botched CLA that caused the subsequent problems.

Finally, a Seiko (yes really) 009 diver's watch or something is very affordable and quasi-vintage cool. I wore mine nearly daily for years until I managed to break it somehow. Seiko bracelets are almost as bad as Vostoks though, I settled on a green NATO strap for that one and it was a great casual look and I didn't have to care about the watch because watch and strap together were about $150 or so.

yes, I'm kind of a watch geek, but one on a budget, because honestly, if it tells you the time and you can read it, that's all you really "need" right? (that brings me back to the Marathons, the tritium tubes are awesome at night... the lume on a Vostok is abysmal!)
mike the snake is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #180
JasonCSU
Colonel
 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,144
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
One thing to consider when starting a collection, or just assessing what you want, is to try to establish a basic goal for what you want. I have a GMT, a chrono and a dress watch. Those cover most of my needs, but I keep finding myself wanting a power reserve watch.
That is exaclty what I have been thinking about when I look over these threads. What I have narrowed it down to is a chrono, a divers, and a dress/vintage watch.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
JasonCSU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #181
N8N
Major
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,422
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I recently bought a Seiko Orange Monster, and the bracelet on it is pretty darn nice.
I get the impression that the Orange Monster is considered by Seiko to be a higher-end watch than is the 009... but at least for me personally I couldn't see myself wearing a OM, that's just not my personality, whereas the 009 has a nice classic look. Not that the OM isn't a great watch - I would never look down on anyone for wearing one, and I can definitely appreciate it for what it is.

Edit: I posted that and then never actually made the relevant point. I haven't actually handled one, but I would not be surprised if the OM's bracelet were actually higher quality than those found on the 007/009.
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #182
mike the snake
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 501
iTrader: (1)

I have 2 watches, a steel Submariner, and my OM. I like the divers style, among others, and was debating on either the orange or black monster and ended up with the orange one.

It's nice, the bracelet is nice, but i wear my Sub way more. The OM is for when I'm working on things where I might scratch the watch (beater). I got tired of worrying about my Sub.

My likes are all over the place though, someday I hope to own a bunch of different styles.
mike the snake is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #183
nsanbyker
Captain
 
nsanbyker's Avatar
 
Drives: 6 speed
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Exiting the Apex

Posts: 961
iTrader: (3)

Litos, can I ask you a question? Where did you order your reserve from? I really like it, but I'm having a hard time finding your model?
__________________
Jay
nsanbyker is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #184
sathoro
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

In my opinion, Parnis watches are where it is at if you are looking for something cheaper and of good quality

Disclaimer: I happen to own that site

Anyways here are some pictures:





__________________

'10 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | M Sport | Premium | Cold Weather
Cobb AP Stage 1 | Alpina B3 TCU | DCI | CF Splitters | CF Performance Spoiler | CF Trim
sathoro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #185
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathoro View Post
In my opinion, Parnis watches are where it is at if you are looking for something cheaper and of good quality

Disclaimer: I happen to own that site
Nice site, and definitely some nice looking watches.

Where do you recommend getting sea-gull movements serviced? Is in one people can service basically anywhere? I have a sea-gull in one of my old pieces.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #186
SJ00
Major
 
SJ00's Avatar
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gold Coast

Posts: 1,271
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathoro View Post
In my opinion, Parnis watches are where it is at if you are looking for something cheaper and of good quality

Disclaimer: I happen to own that site

no offence, but they just look like replicas to me.. or "homage" since they have their own branding..
SJ00 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #187
sathoro
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
no offence, but they just look like replicas to me.. or "homage" since they have their own branding..
They are homage watches, many don't have $6,000 to spend on an IWC
__________________

'10 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | M Sport | Premium | Cold Weather
Cobb AP Stage 1 | Alpina B3 TCU | DCI | CF Splitters | CF Performance Spoiler | CF Trim
sathoro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #188
slowturbo
Private
 
Drives: 2011 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central NJ

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Here's a picture of my JLC reverso grande taille

__________________
2011 328xi
Black Sapphire/Black
ZPP, ZSP, Xenons, Nav, Heated Seats

Past: 2002 325i sport 5mt, 2007 e90 335i, 2004.5 audi a4 1.8t GIAC stage 1+
slowturbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #189
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
Here's a picture of my JLC reverso grande taille

how does the gold hold up to scratches on these watches? I have 2 reversos in stainless and they have been pretty easy to keep scratch free, but I fear the gold.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #190
slowturbo
Private
 
Drives: 2011 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central NJ

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

It isnt bad, but that is also in part because I do not wear it often. They can definitely scratch like anything else, but in my experience not as bad as titanium. Worst case, you can have the case polished up to have it looking good as new again.
__________________
2011 328xi
Black Sapphire/Black
ZPP, ZSP, Xenons, Nav, Heated Seats

Past: 2002 325i sport 5mt, 2007 e90 335i, 2004.5 audi a4 1.8t GIAC stage 1+
slowturbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #191
N8N
Major
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,422
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Well thanks guys, this thread got me thinking about watches again and I pulled the trigger on a vintage Omega...
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #192
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
It isnt bad, but that is also in part because I do not wear it often. They can definitely scratch like anything else, but in my experience not as bad as titanium. Worst case, you can have the case polished up to have it looking good as new again.
good to know, I've got 2 titaniums... The JLC titanum never seems to show a scratch, but that might be because the case is so complicated. But the Panerai my old man gave me shows every mark in the whole world on it. But on it, I think that's part of it's charm, it looks rough, because it's tough.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #193
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Well thanks guys, this thread got me thinking about watches again and I pulled the trigger on a vintage Omega...
which one? There's some very nice vintage Omega's out there.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #194
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

anyone know why james bond switched out of rolex?
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #195
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Same reason bond spent time in lotus's bmw's and other such vehicles. Whoever offered the most money got the product placement.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #196
N8N
Major
 
N8N's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sterling, VA

Posts: 1,422
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
which one? There's some very nice vintage Omega's out there.
It was on the 'bay with a bit of a crack smokin' BIN - 50's gold Seamaster automatic with dauphine hands and a ***green face*** - my best offer was accepted almost immediately, and I've been looking without seriously looking for several years for a "serious" watch with a green face as that's pretty much my color - I have green eyes and for whatever reason whenever I wear a green dress shirt I get compliments from people. However there don't seem to have been that many watches made with green faces - pink/rose, yes, blue certainly, green - not so much?

I just hope I don't regret the purchase because I still paid a good amount for it (a little over $700,) and I'm a little worried about the gold filled case - I'm definitely more of a stainless kind of guy. I paid that much just because of the green ace though and that the watch is almost exactly the same style as an old Longines that I have that used to be my daily wearer - but I started to get nervous about getting caught in the rain etc. so maybe a Seamaster is the perfect step up?

If this thread is still going when I get it, I'll post up a couple pics.

As an aside, related to previous comment - where the hell do you buy dress shirts when you're 5'11" but don't weigh 300 lbs? I actually dragged my roommates' girlfriend shopping with me a couple weeks ago, ended up at Brooks Brothers which was the only place that had "slim fit" fitted shirts, only got four and paid too much for them, and my choices were apparently blue and white. I'm *this* close to starting to have my shirts custom tailored for lack of any other choices, but I really don't make the kind of money that allows one to do that...
N8N is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #197
Litos
Colonel
 
Litos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (1)

took a pic of my buddy's Michael Kors about 3 weeks ago.

this was even before i ordered mine lol.





__________________
Litos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #198
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
It was on the 'bay with a bit of a crack smokin' BIN - 50's gold Seamaster automatic with dauphine hands and a ***green face*** - my best offer was accepted almost immediately, and I've been looking without seriously looking for several years for a "serious" watch with a green face as that's pretty much my color - I have green eyes and for whatever reason whenever I wear a green dress shirt I get compliments from people. However there don't seem to have been that many watches made with green faces - pink/rose, yes, blue certainly, green - not so much?

I just hope I don't regret the purchase because I still paid a good amount for it (a little over $700,) and I'm a little worried about the gold filled case - I'm definitely more of a stainless kind of guy. I paid that much just because of the green ace though and that the watch is almost exactly the same style as an old Longines that I have that used to be my daily wearer - but I started to get nervous about getting caught in the rain etc. so maybe a Seamaster is the perfect step up?

If this thread is still going when I get it, I'll post up a couple pics.

As an aside, related to previous comment - where the hell do you buy dress shirts when you're 5'11" but don't weigh 300 lbs? I actually dragged my roommates' girlfriend shopping with me a couple weeks ago, ended up at Brooks Brothers which was the only place that had "slim fit" fitted shirts, only got four and paid too much for them, and my choices were apparently blue and white. I'm *this* close to starting to have my shirts custom tailored for lack of any other choices, but I really don't make the kind of money that allows one to do that...
Rolex has a green crystal over one of their watches, but that's some bigger $$$. The vintage seas master should hold up well, just take it to get it properly serviced and the case properly revealed and it should stand up to the elements again. (Worth the money for the piece of mind in my opinion.)

I'm about 6'4 and about 200lbs with a 32-33" waist. Very wide shoulders. I take a XXL in slim fit or an XL regular fit. The regular fit still fits like crap around the middle, but it tailors well.

I have started having shirts tailor made for me. Well worth the money if you wear shirts often. My left cuff is even bigger then the right to accommodate wearing a watch. They throw a monogram in the neck for you for claiming at drycleaning and other simple touches. They fit perfect. Get into a place during a sale, and it is worth it. Full price is a bit tough to swallow. Also, some people require 2 different sleeve lengths, so this is also a good sales point.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST