BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Mporium BMW

12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
jc824
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 E90

Pre-delivery from dealer assistance

Looking for some guideance on any pre-cautions or requests that I should make or be aware of before taking delivery of my 2008 E90 in a week or so.

The dealer is prepping the car right now for certified series.

Sorry, I'm sure this may be a common question but I was not able to find any good answer after searching.

This is my first BMW, so not sure what I need to be worried about or what I need to make sure the dealer does not mess up on.

Eg. updated software for Nav (noticed that the screen was requesting DVD or something like that when I tried to play with it), service records, toolkits and so on.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Ok,

Aside from a thourough cosmetic inspection for any dents, scratches, seats, upholstery, cracks, etc. look for other mechanical tell tales.

Before you take delivery and sign the papers, I would insists on a test drive with the dealer. Make sure you warm up the car to operating temperature so you can hear and the noises it makes, not just a 2 min drive around the block.

If you are 6MT, pay attention to grinds on the the synchros. DCT - pay attention to shift harshness, delay, etc.

Listen to any weird mechanical noise that might be coming from the engine during light, medium and hard loads as well as at idle.

Do some transitional turns in a parking lot to feel the suspension responsiveness.

Basically, make sure you are satisfied with the car. Remember, the car is not yours until you take delivery - sign the papers. If there is something that you are not satisfied with, talk to your dealer. Resolve any issues that you might have before you sign the papers, after that, dealers won't be as eager to help you.

If the dealer says "oh, this is normal", document this case with the service advisor, get them to investigate and document your complaint. If something was to fail in the the future, at least you have documentation. If you really want, you ask the dealer to take the car to a get a second opinion in terms of what kind of state the car is in. I'm not sure, but I think the dealer must let you do this by law. If you have a friend that has a hoist, ask to put the car on the hoist so you can inspect it.

Of course, all the service records are nice to have ... before you take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
jc824
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 E90

Went to put down my 15% deposit today after they completed servicing for CPO and did a quick walkaround. They did a good job with the detailing and swirls but they CURBED MY WHEELS!

Delivery will be delay a bit now while they get it repaired. How disappointing...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

at least you noticed it before taking delivery. Good luck.
Appreciate 0