BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17
Rep
1,469
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Volkswagen Ups the Ante

Sitting at the dealership, reading through the Feb 2013 edition of Automobile Magazine. I come across this:

Click

The Bugatti "Super" Veyron
  • 1600 HP
  • 550 lbs lighter than current Veyron
  • Top Speed estimated to increase from 258 to 286 mph
  • 0-60 1.8 seconds
  • $2.5 million
Dear God, How green was my fawkin valley
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
35
Rep
1,897
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Jesus...300MPH is on the horizon...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
ROB_S2K
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
34
Rep
1,774
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Jesus...300MPH is on the horizon...
cars are just getting insanely fast. I love it.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

(2012 | Laguna Seca Blue | Rust Brown | Individual | 6MT) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Park2670
General
Park2670's Avatar
United_States
204
Rep
18,126
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CX-5
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UTAH

iTrader: (8)

I love seeing the engineers keep pushing boundaries.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
54
Rep
1,874
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Wonder how much the tires cost for *that* one, given the price for the standard BV tires? But, as they say, if one has to ask.....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Dear mother of
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
16
Rep
561
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

iTrader: (1)

my favorite car on the planet getting better? Anyone have a job paying 2.5mil so i can pick one of these up?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17
Rep
1,469
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Wonder how much the tires cost for *that* one, given the price for the standard BV tires? But, as they say, if one has to ask.....
I know that for the standard Bugatti Veyron, The Michelin tire package is specially made for that car and costs a cool $25K..worth every penny

At those speeds you are not going to slap a set of Hankooks on there..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Brosef
Colonel
Brosef's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
2,265
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldierforhire View Post
my favorite car on the planet getting better? Anyone have a job paying 2.5mil so i can pick one of these up?
just finance it - everyone's doing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
11
Rep
867
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 x2
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: the wood

iTrader: (0)

I still want a top fuel dragster,
0-330mph in around 4 seconds..
Then ill be happy
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
54
Rep
1,874
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
I know that for the standard Bugatti Veyron, The Michelin tire package is specially made for that car and costs a cool $25K..worth every penny

At those speeds you are not going to slap a set of Hankooks on there..
Correction, sir. $38k+ for new rubber on a standard Veyron....

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/01/18...es-cost-38417/
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17
Rep
1,469
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Correction, sir. $38k+ for new rubber on a standard Veyron....

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/01/18...es-cost-38417/
Nice..got my info from the Meccum auto auctions about 5 yrs ago..the price of rubber must have gone up since then...

$11.5K per wheel and MUST be replaced every fourth tire change..damn

So a set of wheels for a BV = a used e9x M3
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
canadian stig
Banned
canadian stig's Avatar
3
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

I may be in the minority here but i really can't understand the allure of the veyron. so the car looks like crap (kinda reminds me of humpty dumpty). It's expensive as f##k to buy, maintain, and insure. It guzzles gas. Last time I checked, the speed limit hasn't been increased. And it's not really the kind of car that you can drive on a track. So why the obsession with all this horsepower and top speed? Are you gonna be trying to win the Stop Light Grand Prix?

This whole top speed thing is just illogical. There are only probably 2 or 3 places on the entire planet where you can actually drive that fast. And I don't see too many veyron owners flying their cars over there to do the top speed run. I doubt anything more than 300-400 hp is really needed on a road car unless you live right next to the autobahn.

If I had $2.5 million, I'd never buy this car. I'd rather buy an entire fleet of cars: 458, mp4-12c, nissan gt-r, corvette z06, cayman r, gt2 rs, lotus exige, aventador, nsx, and a turbodiesel golf for a daily driver. And I'd probably still have enough money to buy a house and rent it out
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
bing240sx
Lieutenant
6
Rep
405
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

because you can bro... if you can
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17
Rep
1,469
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
because you can bro... if you can
Exactly, its the ultimate status symbol. The article goes on to talk about owners transporting the car and following it in their private jets because its cheaper than driving it. I mean that says it all. Owing the fastest production car on the planet is its own reward
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
canadian stig
Banned
canadian stig's Avatar
3
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Exactly, its the ultimate status symbol. The article goes on to talk about owners transporting the car and following it in their private jets because its cheaper than driving it. I mean that says it all. Owing the fastest production car on the planet is its own reward
So my suspicion is right. It's just a penis extender for insecure super rich people to feel good about themselves. Just something for them to brag about to their fellow rich friends while playing golf or socializing in a banquet. So it's all about showing off what you "can" do as opposed to what you actually are doing.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
bing240sx
Lieutenant
6
Rep
405
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Many people would say that about our M3's.

You should know better than that... Unless your M3 is just a penis extender to make up for your insecurities so that you can brag to your friends about it
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17
Rep
1,469
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian stig View Post
So my suspicion is right. It's just a penis extender for insecure super rich people to feel good about themselves. Just something for them to brag about to their fellow rich friends while playing golf or socializing in a banquet. So it's all about showing off what you "can" do as opposed to what you actually are doing.
LOL..its ALL about bragging rights..dont kid yourself..otherwise we'd all be driving econo shitboxes...I love how you assume because someone buys a super expensive car it must mean they are insecure

They do it because they can..dont hate.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17
Rep
1,469
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian stig View Post
If I had $2.5 million, I'd never buy this car. I'd rather buy an entire fleet of cars: 458, mp4-12c, nissan gt-r, corvette z06, cayman r, gt2 rs, lotus exige, aventador, nsx, and a turbodiesel golf for a daily driver. And I'd probably still have enough money to buy a house and rent it out
See this is the flaw in your thinking right here..the guy that owns the BV, probably has one of each these cars (and more), a yacht, a jet, several homes etc.

Your are looking at it from the proliterate point of view..The people who buy these cars will not have their lifestyles change one bit. The money is irrelevant for them. They dont have to say I'd rather spend on 10 cars instead of one supercar..They say I'll have all 11
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Dave2's Avatar
13
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
LOL..its ALL about bragging rights..dont kid yourself..otherwise we'd all be driving econo shitboxes...I love how you assume because someone buys a super expensive car it must mean they are insecure

They do it because they can..dont hate.
That's right...remember it's the guy with the most toys at the end that wins. I may not have enough toys at the end to win I have enough to ensure I won't lose.
__________________
'11 M3 Convertible | Dinan Stage 2 suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #21
canadian stig
Banned
canadian stig's Avatar
3
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
Many people would say that about our M3's.

You should know better than that... Unless your M3 is just a penis extender to make up for your insecurities so that you can brag to your friends about it
Actually I bought the M3 to take it to the track, and I do that on a regular basis. So I'm exempt from that stereotype But yes, there are people who never take their M to a track, nor do they ever drive on a canyon road, nor do they even go faster than the speed limit. Heck, they don't even redline the engine, EVER! Yes, those people did buy the M3 as a penis extender since obviously a 328i would have been more than enough for their needs.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
canadian stig
Banned
canadian stig's Avatar
3
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
LOL..its ALL about bragging rights..dont kid yourself..otherwise we'd all be driving econo shitboxes...I love how you assume because someone buys a super expensive car it must mean they are insecure

They do it because they can..dont hate.
well, i wouldn't say it's all bragging rights. some people who buy exotic sports and supercars actually do drive them and some even take them to the track and enjoy them the way they're supposed to be.

And I'm not talking about super expensive cars per se. Bentley, Rolls, Maybach, etc are all super expensive, but surprisingly practical and useable on a daily basis.

What I am talking about is people who blow millions of dollars (even if that money is pocket change to them) to buy a car with capabilities far beyond anything they will ever use, in fact capabilities so extreme hardly any roads or tracks on the entire planet can accomodate such car. Then those people when they receive their car hardly ever drive it at all, let alone come near that million mph top speed, but instead park it in the garage and leave it unsed for years, all so that they can take a few pics posing with the car when they take delivery of it, just so they can show those pics to their rich friends and brag about how they have a car that *can* do so and so (just like any magazine racer out there). Yes, I believe you have to be really insecure if you go through all that trouble just to get a thumbs up from your rich friend.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST