BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

2013 Stock Air Filter is Different.

I bought all these little mods, like the drop in MS Air Filter, and noticed the MY '13 (maybe '12s or '11s) has a new style of stock air filter unlike the white gauze / big pleated like version in the '08s.

Does anyone think the new filter (yellowish, with many thin deep pleats) might not be as restrictive than as the old '08 stock air filter and might be as good as the modified aftermarket filters?

I installed the MS Filter recently and maybe it's a placebo effect, but the stock filter's induction sound / tone seem to be more aggressive and I didn't get the feeling the MS Filter made the car rev any easier than stock.
Class-of-2013 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
T_D
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Interesting. My new MS filter should be here on Monday. I'll let you know if I have similar results.
__________________
2013 Jerez Black E92 M3
T_D is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

You are right. The 08-10 air filter was different to the 11+ ones.

Are you running a dried one or oiled? I have an oiled one and can personally say that idle revving has a bit of a deeper tone as does the downshifting sound, ripping it through red line is the same though.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,452
iTrader: (2)

In 2010 BMW replaced the air filter in US cars with the Euro air filter. The Euro air filter is longer and flows slightly better than the US '08-'09 stock air filter.

I recently swapped out the stock air filter on my '12 with an aFE drop-in filter (had to buy the adapter) and I noticed a significant change in induction noise - definitely louder than the Euro stock filter, and similar to the noise level from the Dinan intake I have on my '09.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I recently swapped out the stock air filter on my '12 with an aFE drop-in filter (had to buy the adapter) and I noticed a significant change in induction noise - definitely louder than the Euro stock filter, and similar to the noise level from the Dinan intake I have on my '09.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Are you running a dried one or oiled? I have an oiled one and can personally say that idle revving has a bit of a deeper tone as does the downshifting sound, ripping it through red line is the same though.
Then I must be experiencing a placebo effect and my idle mind is f-ing with me.

I'm running a dry MS Air Filter w/ some AFE intake charge scoops. Maybe I'm just not recalling what the stock filter sounded like and perhaps the MS filter is really working as planned. Oh well, I'm not going in there to replace it back to the stock one - it was already a pain one time changing out that stupid plastic adapter as-is.
Class-of-2013 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Definitely your mind playing with you then^. I forgot to mention I have intake scoops also. Definitely a difference in the places I mentioned.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
BMWJ
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
I didn't get the feeling the MS Filter made the car rev any easier than stock.


That's exactly what you should feel from a filter change
BMWJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Definitely your mind playing with you then^. I forgot to mention I have intake scoops also. Definitely a difference in the places I mentioned.
If it sounds crazy, when I put on the intake scoops, I felt the car sounded different with the stock filter alone - talk about a placebo effect! hahahaaa... Ignorance is bliss, I'll pretend these tiny mods give me 15 horsepower as advertised!
Class-of-2013 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
hpc3
Second Lieutenant
 
hpc3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M3 ZCP 6sp
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Carolinas

Posts: 253
iTrader: (0)

I installed a MS oiled filter(alone, with adapter nub) and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
I bought all these little mods, like the drop in MS Air Filter, and noticed the MY '13 (maybe '12s or '11s) has a new style of stock air filter unlike the white gauze / big pleated like version in the '08s.

Does anyone think the new filter (yellowish, with many thin deep pleats) might not be as restrictive than as the old '08 stock air filter and might be as good as the modified aftermarket filters?

I installed the MS Filter recently and maybe it's a placebo effect, but the stock filter's induction sound / tone seem to be more aggressive and I didn't get the feeling the MS Filter made the car rev any easier than stock.
the intake sounds changed but only slightly. The car has smoothed out some in the 3-5K rpm range now vs with the stocker but other than that I can't say its any better/worse. I do think there's a little flow to be had going with a rounded/oval filter base vs the stock BMW snorkel(rectangular) but for $400 difference I wasn't willing to do it. I don't see much reason for the front kidney scoops either with the volume of air the drivers front intake provides to the filter box.

Mine had the "new" yellow filter from the factory. Haven't seen the older style to compare with but these stock filters work pretty well in my other hi-po applications. I was going for a reusable one with the MS.
__________________
'13 E92 M3 - SG/FR ZCP 6sp with sunroof *and* wood (old fart edition). MPE. Turner 10mm spacers x4.

Born on 07/04/12, PCD September 5th, 2012.
hpc3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Interesting read. I just installed the BMC filter in my '07 M3 which already had the EU filter. I noticed the BMC filter was at least 10mm short. I haven't noticed any change to the induction noise, but with the BPM Sport aka Benvo tune, I do feel the car rev much freely. I just feel it ... don't know whether this is the placebo effect. But I am enjoying the new found driving experience.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Vic311
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

A non-paper filter is always going to outflow an OEM paper filter ..no matter which model year

That said you are never going to feel any effect from just swapping air filter
Vic311 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
A non-paper filter is always going to outflow an OEM paper filter ..no matter which model year

That said you are never going to feel any effect from just swapping air filter
But I have these nifty intake charge scoops. AT LEAST 10 HP on their own!
Class-of-2013 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Vic311
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
But I have these nifty intake charge scoops. AT LEAST 10 HP on their own!
Vic311 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Totally one of those late night purchases while waiting for this car to arrive from Bremerhaven.
Class-of-2013 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
BIU
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 A22 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 582
iTrader: (0)

Euro spec 08 here so I cant comment on the pre '10 US filters..

Recently swapped in an AA green filter... car definitely breathes better and the additional growl alone justifies the purchase
BIU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST